2015 - 2020 F-150

Warped glass in pano roof causing leak!?!???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warped glass in pano roof causing leak!?!???

I have a 2015 and my roof recently started leaking down the A pillars. The dealership told me the glass is warped causing it not to seal correctly. This allows more water than normal to leak into the rails and then overflows the tracks.

Has anyone else heard of glass warping? I already had the tracks and motor replaced 18 months ago so it's less likely that's the reason.

I asked the service tech if he's seen this before and he said, "Yes, but it's very rare."

I know a lot of people online are complaining of leaks so I'm curious if warped glass is more common than the dealer implied.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2018, 08:50 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
I think there is a drain line that runs down each A-pillar from the front corner of each sunroof. There are also drain lines running from each rear corner. If this is the first time you noticed the leak, I'd suspect a clogged drain line. Maybe a bit of lightly compressed air blown down through the line might clear it.

When my '17 was new, it developed a wet spot on the carpet at the base of the passenger's A-pillar. The tech discovered the drain tube on that side was crimped from the factory, causing the rain channel around the edge of the pano glass roof to overflow on that corner rather than drain. He ran a new tube and the problem was solved.

FYI: I thought it was very interesting how he discovered the crimp. He used some string trimmer plastic line and feed it down the tube from the top of the sunroof.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by serotta
I think there is a drain line that runs down each A-pillar from the front corner of each sunroof. There are also drain lines running from each rear corner. If this is the first time you noticed the leak, I'd suspect a clogged drain line. Maybe a bit of lightly compressed air blown down through the line might clear it.

When my '17 was new, it developed a wet spot on the carpet at the base of the passenger's A-pillar. The tech discovered the drain tube on that side was crimped from the factory, causing the rain channel around the edge of the pano glass roof to overflow on that corner rather than drain. He ran a new tube and the problem was solved.

FYI: I thought it was very interesting how he discovered the crimp. He used some string trimmer plastic line and feed it down the tube from the top of the sunroof.

I checked that first and they drained just fine. I poured water directly into the tracks with a pitcher. I had to pour faster than it drained to get it to leak which shows how much water was actually coming in.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:05 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
So out goes my theory!!!

I just find it hard to imagine the glass warping enough not to seal as it hits the stops upon closing. It would seem the glass would be guided into the sealed position even if it were a bit warped.

Quick Reply: Warped glass in pano roof causing leak!?!???