2018 F-150 transmission problems (10 speed) - F150online Forums

Go Back  F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2015 - 2019 F-150
2018 F-150 transmission problems (10 speed) >

2018 F-150 transmission problems (10 speed)

2015 - 2019 F-150

2018 F-150 transmission problems (10 speed)

 
  #1  
Old 08-22-2018, 10:51 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3
2018 F-150 transmission problems (10 speed)

I took delivery of my Brand New F150 8-1-18. On 8-2-18 the transmission started too slip / chatter when shifted to drive or Reverse ramdomly. I brought it to the nearest dealer and they said it was normal.. 5 days of dealing with this , I brought it to another dealer who added a couple of quarts of trans fluid.. I took the first trip up the highway with the truck with 200 miles on it and the transmission was slipping in all gears and blew a bunch of transmission oil out the back of the truck. Towed it to a 3rd dealer and they said the 2nd dealer over filled the transmission. Went 6 days with no vehicle. Got it back yesterday, took the same trip home with it, and the POS transmission was slipping the entire trip. Fluid temps average 235F. Now it's back at the original dealer that over filled the transmission. Now I'm without a vehicle again until further notice, no loaner car available. Called ford customer service, they are 100% useless!!!! The dealer did say that several trucks are having the same problem as mine and ford will not change the transmissions until they figure out the problems.. I traded in a perfectly good 2016 F150 for this POS with more bells and whistles Stay away from these 10 speed transmissions!!! Oh yeah a Ford Rep did call back and gave me free oil changes for 4 years, I told them keep that **** and put a transmission in the truck or buy this POS back..( neither are they willing to do) It only has 350miles on it..

Very disappointed in them!!! (Ford)
 
  #2  
Old 08-23-2018, 11:52 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: So. Texas
Posts: 2,012
The 10 speed autos in the F150 and Silverado are one and the same transmission. Ford and GM built the unit in concert with Ford being the lead engineering team. The problems with the Silverado and other platforms that GM puts the 10 speed in are well documented as having major issues. Yours is not the first F150 I've heard about with the issue of slipping and eventual self destruction. I would strongly suggest heavy documentation of everything and frankly, I'd suggest lawyering up. This isn't going to be fixed by throwing parts at it or changing your oil, unfortunately. I'm not sure why Ford is not being more active about addressing this issue considering the F150 is their cash cow. I've not heard of Ford replacing any of the defective transmissions, they only rebuild. Considering how hot some of these units gets and that it's all aluminum, I wouldn't want it in my truck. Hope all of this works out to the best for you. Nothing quite so nice as to spend all that money only to have a POS and a maker that doesn't seem to care. Hopefully you don't have one of the 3.5 EcoBoost engines that the heads didn't get bored for the oil journals to heads/camshafts. A catastrophic engine seize is in your future if you have one. Certainly makes me wonder what the hell is going on at Ford. And I WAS considering buying a new one around Christmas. That's out now and there's not a thing wrong with my 2014.
 
  #3  
Old 08-24-2018, 08:33 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,157
If your state has it, begin lemon law proceedings and force them to re-buy the truck...
 
  #4  
Old 08-27-2018, 10:23 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3
Transmission problems

Thank you guys for the comments. I have met the criteria for lemon law at this point.. I will be pursuing it!! An update about the F150, it's been over 2 weeks with out a truck now. I picked it up at 8am this morning from the dealer, at 9:15am, I'm waiting for a tow again. Transmission is over heating and not shifting and slipping.. Can't make this up!!! Service manger said ,"blow it up good so they will be able to change the whole thing".. Problem is, dam thing just slips and will not blow up.. It cools down below 230 degrees and works again ( somewhat) ..
 
  #5  
Old 11-23-2018, 11:37 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1
Transmission issues and pumping noise when drivers door opens

I have a 2018 Ford F-150- lariat sport. I have 2 issues the transmission is slipping in cold weather, it shifts rough in all weather and it seems to rev at times. I have to take it in for this issue it seems to be getting worse as it gets colder. Iíve read that others have had the same issues.
The second issue is a pumping noise when I open the drivers door after itís been sitting for awhile. Itís coming from under the cab near the rear of the cab. I took it in for service and they advise itís normal. Itís the fuel pump priming. I said who would design a vehicle with this annoying noise. Doesnít seem right. Has anyone had the same issue?
 
  #6  
Old 11-23-2018, 11:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 864
Originally Posted by Fred Man View Post
Thank you guys for the comments. I have met the criteria for lemon law at this point.. I will be pursuing it!! An update about the F150, it's been over 2 weeks with out a truck now. I picked it up at 8am this morning from the dealer, at 9:15am, I'm waiting for a tow again. Transmission is over heating and not shifting and slipping.. Can't make this up!!! Service manger said ,"blow it up good so they will be able to change the whole thing".. Problem is, dam thing just slips and will not blow up.. It cools down below 230 degrees and works again ( somewhat) ..
Lemon Law that truck. Donít give up, donít settle. Make them take it back.
 
  #7  
Old 11-25-2018, 11:16 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,157
Oddly, my brother recently bought a 2018 XL Sport 4x4 with the 5.0, he hasn't had any problems yet, but only a few thousand miles. It's a late build 2018, so maybe they fixed it on the newer trucks
 
  #8  
Old 01-13-2019, 10:23 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Fred Man View Post
I took delivery of my Brand New F150 8-1-18. On 8-2-18 the transmission started too slip / chatter when shifted to drive or Reverse ramdomly. I brought it to the nearest dealer and they said it was normal.. 5 days of dealing with this , I brought it to another dealer who added a couple of quarts of trans fluid.. I took the first trip up the highway with the truck with 200 miles on it and the transmission was slipping in all gears and blew a bunch of transmission oil out the back of the truck. Towed it to a 3rd dealer and they said the 2nd dealer over filled the transmission. Went 6 days with no vehicle. Got it back yesterday, took the same trip home with it, and the POS transmission was slipping the entire trip. Fluid temps average 235F. Now it's back at the original dealer that over filled the transmission. Now I'm without a vehicle again until further notice, no loaner car available. Called ford customer service, they are 100% useless!!!! The dealer did say that several trucks are having the same problem as mine and ford will not change the transmissions until they figure out the problems.. I traded in a perfectly good 2016 F150 for this POS with more bells and whistles Stay away from these 10 speed transmissions!!! Oh yeah a Ford Rep did call back and gave me free oil changes for 4 years, I told them keep that **** and put a transmission in the truck or buy this POS back..( neither are they willing to do) It only has 350miles on it..

Very disappointed in them!!! (Ford)
I have a 2018 XLT with the 10.speed transmission it's been back twice and going back tomorrow for the the trans. Only when it's cold around 6th gear it slips then feels like the truck is in neutral. When I take my foot off the gas it re-engages then bucks. I'm curious as to what they will say tomorrow.
 
  #9  
Old 01-14-2019, 08:07 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by tbohn110 View Post
I have a 2018 XLT with the 10.speed transmission it's been back twice and going back tomorrow for the the trans. Only when it's cold around 6th gear it slips then feels like the truck is in neutral. When I take my foot off the gas it re-engages then bucks. I'm curious as to what they will say tomorrow.
good luck..

My suggestion would be, you drive the truck with tech in it.. Have them acknowledge too you the problem exist.. And record them!!

I'm still going through lemon law procedure.. Transmission been apart 4 times now but continues to slip when it is warm and everytime.. Ford will not change the trans out!! Only 3000 miles on this truck now.. I have many case numbers on it too from ford.. Electrical issues, head liner came down and unglued, electric fuse box ( under hood) was wired wrong, tow 7 wire plug wiring issue, and etc.. Only good thing is when I bring it in now, there is a vehicle waiting for me to drive.. It is going back in next week to the 4th dealer to try and solve the trans problem..
 
  #10  
Old 01-14-2019, 09:07 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,157
The 2018 and newer (direct injection) 5.0 engines also have issues with the cylinders, look on the Mustang forums... that issue will hit our trucks too because it's the same block
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 F-150 transmission problems (10 speed)


Sponsors

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: