2015 - 2020 F-150

2018 F-150 transmission problems (10 speed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 05:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,Everyone.
Back to the dealer today with 3500 miles on my 2018 F-150. The supervisor over service drove it for awhile. When it shifts from 4th to 5th gear, it chatters now like valves rattling. Still slipping at other times, in all gears. Downshifts hard in 3rd. Sometimes it bucks and jumps like drive shaft wants to jump out of it.
The service guy called and spoke to Ford Engineer......He tells me that Ford told him, all these SYMPTOMS are characteristics of this new 10 speed transmission, and there is NOTHING wrong with it.
So I feel our only option is to seek the lemon law through an attorney, OR trade it off, and go with some other vehicle, even if I will be upside down.
I can't stand driving a POS

The following 2 users liked this post by Marilyn Bell:
Old 03-26-2019, 06:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My service writer started to say the same thing yesterday morning. I told him about the other people who are having identical problems and said either I knew more about his product than he did or one of us was being less than honest. They just cleared the TCM memory. I told the guy the problem better not start again or I'll start the lemon law process. They remember when I bought the truck and the sales manager tried jacking up the price at delivery. (Lawyers have a way of changing managers' minds.)

Old 03-29-2019, 05:23 PM
My F150 mess

Originally Posted by Cold Steel
My service writer started to say the same thing yesterday morning. I told him about the other people who are having identical problems and said either I knew more about his product than he did or one of us was being less than honest. They just cleared the TCM memory. I told the guy the problem better not start again or I'll start the lemon law process. They remember when I bought the truck and the sales manager tried jacking up the price at delivery. (Lawyers have a way of changing managers' minds.)
I contacted a law firm about Lemon Law in TN. They said...If you file suit, the dealer will NOT touch your vehicle again. Then when you go to court, YOU have to prove what is wrong with the vehicle. How can we do that when we dont KNOW what it is.
So we are screwed on that front too

Old 03-30-2019, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by Marilyn Bell

I contacted a law firm about Lemon Law in TN. They said...If you file suit, the dealer will NOT touch your vehicle again. Then when you go to court, YOU have to prove what is wrong with the vehicle. How can we do that when we dont KNOW what it is.
So we are screwed on that front too
Then don't play nice. Build a large sign in the bed of the truck, paint a short message saying the dealer won't fix the new truck you bought from them and park it across the street from the dealership. Move the truck a little each day so they can't claim it is an illegal advertisement. Take a picture of the truck and post it to the dealer's and Ford's Facebook pages.

You can also contact Ford directly here, but I have no idea how effective it will be:
https://www.ford.com/help/contact/

Last edited by Cold Steel; 03-30-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had a few of the rough shift and rev up with my 10 sp took it in and told the to do the latest tbs on it of course they were reluctant to do it until i showed the a copy of the tbs they did it and wow like a new tranny had 1200 miles and now have 15000 and still good. Can't remember for sure but i think i got info from this site.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:17 PM
I received a call from the dealer service manager yesterday. He was rather upset that I slammed them on the customer service survey for the 2 visits for rough shifting. I asked what did he expect, since they didn't fix my truck. He said there was nothing wrong with my truck and then tried to blame me for "not working with them." That set me off and I let him have it over the meaning of customer service. He was adamant that I was the problem and just didn't understand what was involved in warranty repairs. That's when I told him I am the Director of Maintenance for a public agency with a whole fleet of Fords and would he like my next call to go to his boss or the special Ford corporate number I have on speed dial. Dead silence on the other end of the phone. I told him when the parts come in to fix the bulge in the dash, I will give them one more shot at fixing my transmission before I make life unpleasant. Been driving Ford trucks for over 40 years and this is the first time I have regretted buying one.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-23-2019, 12:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious if anyone has started lemon law process, made any progress, or had any success?

Bought my 2018 f150 6 months ago and in shop for the 4th time and picking up tomorrow. Still no fix and same answer from dealership, “Ford says whining noise and shifting issues are common in some 2018 f150 vehicles”... so basically just deal with it because Ford won’t acknowledge issue and stuck. It’s crazy to me that even Fords official statement says that these characteristics (issues) are common in “some” 2018 F150 trucks with 10 speed....if it is only common in some, then there is SOMETHING wrong!

First few times taking my truck in they acted like I was crazy and never heard of these issues...this time they are saying these trucks (2018 v8 10 speed) are coming in several/day with all issues I’m complaining about.

If anyone has had any success with repairs or lemon law claim, please share how you went about it.

thanks!!

Old 05-23-2019, 04:15 PM
Mine is waiting for some back-ordered parts for an unrelated problem. When they come in, it is going back for the 3d time for the trans. I have video of the hard shift and if they don't fix it this time, I will start the lemon law process.

I've driven Ford trucks since 1976 and this is the first time I have been disappointed in one.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up 2018 f-150 xl

My 2018 Standard Cab SWB F-150 XL FX4 2.7L with the 10-Speed just turned 20,000 miles and I haven't had any issues at all and the transmission shifts perfect with no problems, my truck has never been back to dealer for anything.

Build date: 09/2018 DEARBORN

Last edited by 2018 RC SWB 2.7; 08-22-2020 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Update information
Old 08-12-2019, 10:40 AM
2019 F-150 stx 4x4

I’m having the same issues here. I just hit 4K and my 10-speed transmission is slipping from 2nd to 3rd. Rpms shoot up and then it hard shifts into 3rd gear. It seems to do it when the truck is cold. Absolutely ridiculous that this brand new truck already has transmission problems. I do have a warranty but it’s still aggravating. The dealer says most likely they will reprogram it and that’s about all they can do at this point. The service manager did say yes they are aware that this has been an issue with 10-speeds. He didn’t seem shocked at all that a brand new truck is having this problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hermde:
Old 08-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Same issues on my 2018 F150 STX 2.7l 10spd. When the engine/trans are cold I get a bad slip from 1st-2nd or 3rd-4th (about 2-3 times per week). Big concern if it were raining and my wife were to drive with my 1 year old daughter in the back. I had this serviced back in November and seemed better for a couple months then gradually started creeping back in. Now for the past few months, after start up, when I shift into reverse on a flat surface, the truck slams into gear as if it were being shifted at high RPMs though it is not. Just turned 19k miles and it's getting a bit ridiculous. Dropping off this weekend so the transmission "expert" can review next week. Expecting it to be better for a month or so, then start back again. Always been a Ford guy, and this is just sad. I own a 1969 Cougar with a 428CJ and my trans shifts way better in that than in my 1 year old truck

Old 08-28-2019, 02:44 PM
Yup...Me too

I bought my 2018 F150 used with around 30K miles on it in May. During the test drive I didn't notice anything amiss with the transmission but within the first few days or maybe week I started to notice a lot of the same symptoms others on this thread have mentioned. Specifically, there are times when after initial startup and shifting into gear (reverse or drive) it'll clunk and the truck will jolt. I've also noticed that the transmission shifts hard, specifically third and sixth gears, as well as just a lot of noise at cruising speeds. So far it's just been an annoyance but I'm a little worried based on what I've been reading.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:30 PM
I'm having the exact same problem in my Shelby Super Snake F150, did you get it fixed?

Old 12-01-2019, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Hermde
I’m having the same issues here. I just hit 4K and my 10-speed transmission is slipping from 2nd to 3rd. Rpms shoot up and then it hard shifts into 3rd gear. It seems to do it when the truck is cold. Absolutely ridiculous that this brand new truck already has transmission problems. I do have a warranty but it’s still aggravating. The dealer says most likely they will reprogram it and that’s about all they can do at this point. The service manager did say yes they are aware that this has been an issue with 10-speeds. He didn’t seem shocked at all that a brand new truck is having this problem.
Were they able to fix it?

Old 12-02-2019, 12:42 PM
2018 F150 transmission problems

Originally Posted by dan boss
Were they able to fix it?
no fix for mine still... they continue to change parts and nothing works.. So I’m dumping it on the Ford dealer in the spring. I’ll post the VIN so nobody gets stuck with this POS!! Only has 13k on it..

Quick Reply: 2018 F-150 transmission problems (10 speed)