F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2015 - 2020 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2015-2020-f-150-136/)
-   -   Tonneau cover and rail/crossbar system (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2015-2020-f-150/517881-tonneau-cover-rail-crossbar-system.html)

fdf150owner 04-15-2018 11:26 PM

Tonneau cover and rail/crossbar system

Hello,

I'm looking for a tonneau cover for my new truck. I did my research and realize that there are tons of choices there. I hope to have a bed cover that could still allow me to have rail and crossbar system, like Thule or Yakima. So I can put multiple bikes, snowboards, and other stuff on top of the bed while keeping other luggage, tools, etc. dry under the cover.

I guess my question is does the regular tonneau cover prevent me to install other sliding rail/crossbar system? In other words, I can only have either one but not both?

BTW, I did find Pace Edwards Ultra Groove Metal seems to be a fit. I just can't believe they are the only one. Any similar one out there?

The other one could be a fit I found is Diamondback. It seems tough enough but needs a little bit mods.

Any suggestion/experience is welcome. Thanks!

FORDPILOT 04-26-2018 12:55 AM

There are few other options but I think the PE you mentioned is the cleanest install. PE also makes their explorer series rails which can be added to some of their less expensive tonneau covers to do the same thing. kbvoodoo fabrication has a rack that can be mounted around "some" tonneau covers but it is mostly for soft covers. You can fab a similar setup with a set of yakima or thule tracks, plus nuts, and appropriate towers landing pads. This was the route I was going but I think an integrated rack is better because I don't know how much of the bed rail each tonneau covers and you could run into problems with adding tracks outside the width of the tonneau. Nuthouse industries makes an amazing rack that you can have them add their own custom heavy duty tonneau to but the thing ends up costing around $5k once you get it built. There are also stake pocket racks that mount in the stake pocket of the bed, google it, some of them remain clear of the tonneau depending on how the tonneau is made.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a PE Ultragroove Metal and use Yakima bars and towers to mount my 200b tent. Way over the weight limit so I might add a third bar, but I had it on a home made roof rack for 18 months without a single problem.

fdf150owner 04-26-2018 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by FORDPILOT (Post 5234923)
There are few other options but I think the PE you mentioned is the cleanest install. PE also makes their explorer series rails which can be added to some of their less expensive tonneau covers to do the same thing. kbvoodoo fabrication has a rack that can be mounted around "some" tonneau covers but it is mostly for soft covers. You can fab a similar setup with a set of yakima or thule tracks, plus nuts, and appropriate towers landing pads. This was the route I was going but I think an integrated rack is better because I don't know how much of the bed rail each tonneau covers and you could run into problems with adding tracks outside the width of the tonneau. Nuthouse industries makes an amazing rack that you can have them add their own custom heavy duty tonneau to but the thing ends up costing around $5k once you get it built. There are also stake pocket racks that mount in the stake pocket of the bed, google it, some of them remain clear of the tonneau depending on how the tonneau is made.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a PE Ultragroove Metal and use Yakima bars and towers to mount my 200b tent. Way over the weight limit so I might add a third bar, but I had it on a home made roof rack for 18 months without a single problem.

well, thank you for replying my thread. It's been a while since I started to dig information about this type of tonneau cover. PE is now definitely my No.1 choice. And I did notice that Retrax will release a similar product probably at the end of this summer. I happen to saw this video on Youtube.
And I contact their customer service and confirm that.

FORDPILOT 04-30-2018 01:04 AM

Check out UnderCover Ridgelander, it has a higher advertised weight limit that any of the other ones I've found.