2015 - 2020 F-150

2018 Transmission Problems Round 2!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 Transmission Problems Round 2!

Okay so many of us have had issues with the 10 speed transmission. The issues vary in severity from odd shifts,clunks,whines to destruction. My transmission had very distinct clunking and horrible driving characteristics from right at 500 miles or so. The shifting in traffic was akin to driving a stick and dumping the clutch. The downshifts at times were hard enough to get the bed to bounce and the wheels to lockup. This was especially scary when the truck would do it on ice covered roads and I would skid momentarily.

Things actually improved with the truck and the transmission behavior was normal from 3,000 miles to about 14,000 miles. Then it suddenly returned with a vengeance. The dealership identified a defective valve body and was advised by Ford hotline to replace valve body and road test. I received the truck back and things were improved but an odd downshift thid into third gear was now present. With the downshift thud was also a new clunk into third gear upon coasting in traffic down a slight grade. This clunk was more of a delay upshifting out of second on its on which resulted in unexpected acceleration because you could definitely feel it went to a neutral state between second and third during coasting.

I had planned to make an appointment to get these new issues checked out. However yesterday afternoon on my way home in traffic the truck had a distinct issue shifting from a dead stop. Once going it would rapidly start shifting from fifth to 3rd with the throttle remaining unchanged. I tried to maneuver 4 lanes over to the shoulder and within a half mile the transmission temp was past 275 degrees and the wrench icon was on. Also displayed "See Manual" on the dash. I idled the truck and brought the fluid temp down to 196 in about 8 mins.

I limped the truck to the dealership and within 300 feet of the dealership the fluid went up past 260 degrees I again tried to make it to the shoulder. This time as I looked back I couldn't see the vehicles behind me. There was so much smoke I knew at that point the front seal had let loose and I couldn't do anything but get to the shoulder and coast to the dealership.

To have this many issues with a new truck is unacceptable. I have not been able to get ahold of Ford customer service because there is a constant wait time when calling. I also notice the Ford customer service representatives are no longer active on this site anyone know a good way to get a hold of a real person? I want to know if anyone else has had issues similar and what routes you were able to take that gave you a good outcome? I know of at least two guys that had full transmission replacements but no follow up from them after repairs.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did the dealers service department say on the last visit? Does your truck qualify as Lemon?

Old 03-09-2018, 02:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it got that hot and let all the smoke out I would be really surprised if they even tried to repair that trans. It should not be very hard to get it completely replaced at this point.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Well the dealership isn't being very helpful. I told them I want this escalated to a regional rep and I want a case number. They told me to do it myself and they won't facilitate that on my behalf. I am now beyond frustrated with the dealership and the lack of ability to get a hold of ford corporate.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Why not try a different dealer?

Old 03-10-2018, 07:43 PM
Disappointing for sure. Hope this works out for you. I think you will have to have to bite the bullet and wait on hold until Ford answers your call. You don’t seem to be getting much assistance from the selling dealer, I would certainly terminate my future business dealings with them. Not cool at all.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:51 AM
Okay here is an update. I contacted Ford and finally got to talk to a real person! The rep took all my information down and generated a case number for me. A regional representative contacted me and contacted the dealship on my behalf. I really must say Ford really stepped up on this and offered to put me in a rental truck and gave me an extended powertrain ESP to cover future issues. I must say this really was awesome on their part. The transmission is still awaiting diagnosis which should be by Friday. I will update again with the route they take for repair.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-17-2018, 01:04 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I can only hope that Ford takes care of you on this but I have my doubts. The Ford 10 speed and the troubled GM 10 speed autos were developed in concert and both are having major issues. Doesn't take much research on Google to find a slug of unhappy GM owners with the same problems and some having repeated short transmission life issues. Seems that Ford has fared a little better but not many are happy with their transmissions.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:51 AM
I do have an update. The dealership and ford have diagnosed the truck with having a failed clutch pack and a bad wiring harness. However they will not be replacing the transmission but installing replacement parts instead :-X09. This is unbelievable to me, the transmission has had a major failure and it has contamination in the entire system including the cooler and torque converter. They simply refuse to listen when I tell them this is not an acceptable repair and it is doomed for failure. How do they expect components that have been overheated and contaminated to last? I feel like the dealership is using my truck as a test mule for their own learning experience and I am tired of it!

Old 03-22-2018, 05:09 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Ford gave you an extended warranty. Go out and try to burn it up completely.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Ford gave you an extended warranty. Go out and try to burn it up completely.
That's exactly what I was thinking. If it acts up again I'd drive that summabitch till it either completely locked up or caught the whole truck on fire. Then I'd call that stealership and tell them to bring a broom to sweep up the ashes.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2019 F150 10 speed 4K miles

I just hit 4K and my 10-speed transmission is slipping from 2nd to 3rd. Rpms shoot up and then it hard shifts into 3rd gear. It seems to do it when the truck is cold. Absolutely ridiculous that this brand new truck already has transmission problems. I do have a warranty but it’s still aggravating. The dealer says most likely they will reprogram it and that’s about all they can do at this point. The service manager did say yes they are aware that this has been an issue with 10-speeds. He didn’t seem shocked at all that a brand new truck is having this problem.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello everyone, reading these threads on tranny problems kinda scares me. I have a 2018 with 6500 miles on it and so far have none of the issues that are talked about on here. I do have the slightly warped dash by the windshield thing though. I was just going to hold it down with a drywall screw...lol just kidding.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:46 AM
My 2018 is in the shop for the 4th time for the trans. The dealer said nothing was wrong (again). I told them my attorney would be contacting them shortly about the state's Lemon Law. They looked again and found a torque converter problem. I've been driving Ford trucks since 1976 and this is the first time I wish I had bought a Dodge.

JETTUNER, the dash bulge is another known problem and Ford has a TSB for it. Take the truck to the dealer so they can photo the problem. Parts will take a couple months.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:05 PM
I have a 2018 f150 build date June 2018 I have complained about the transmission from day one had it back to dealer numerous time the same response every time it’s normal operation. We all need to get together and flood ford with complaints via social media (witch I hate) phone calls emails hell ill put a big sign on my roof they need to address this

Quick Reply: 2018 Transmission Problems Round 2!