2015 - 2020 F-150

Should I wait for the Diesel?

Old 02-02-2018, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I wait for the Diesel?

Question..

Current F1 KR has 160k on it so it's time for a new truck. I'd really like to get the exact truck I have now but with a different engine. I've been leaning heavily towards the larger EB but with the new diesel coming out in spring I'm considering waiting.

In your opinion would the new PowerStroke be a better fit for an F150 lifted with larger tires or just stick with the large EB? Given the gas mileage estimate for the diesel, savings on a fuel would eventually offset the additional engine cost especially with a lift and large tires

Lift is probably in the range of 4-6" and tire size probably looking at 35's or larger

Old 02-02-2018, 09:18 PM
If you are referring to the High-Output 3.5L EB as the large ED you won't be able to get it in a King Ranch. The High-Output EB is only available in the Raptor. The regular EB is a good motor with plenty of power and low end torque to turn oversized tires or pull trailers. I would think the diesel is going to have plenty of low end torque as well.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you plan on towing something really heavy often, diesel isn't worth the hefty extra price tag IMO. Diesels are a bunch more $ to maintain as well.

3.5 EB has plenty of power for bigger tires or even if you tow something heavy occasionally.

Last edited by birdshooter; 02-02-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:08 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
savings on a fuel would eventually offset the additional engine cost
In a word, no. You're expectations are not real. Historically diesel fuel is far more volatile when it comes to cost due to the use of the same fuel for home heating. When it gets cold, price of diesel goes up while gas may remain the same- supply and demand kinda thing. You'll find fuel filters will be changed more often, oil filters will be larger. All filters will be far more expensive. Then you'll be buying gallons of DEF for the emissions. What you'll save on gas mileage will be eaten up by the cost to run the diesel. When I put a pencil to it, the break even point was right at 150,000 miles. Not worth all of the BS of a diesel. Most commonly, the average driver doesn't need a diesel. As of now, there's no telling how user friendly the new diesel will be. If you've never driven a diesel in a light truck, you won't know what I mean. They can be regular land slugs unless you push them real hard. The old bulletproof 6.9 and 7.3 were landslugs. The 6.0 was the first I ever drove that had any driving experience in common with a gas engine. If you need or want a new truck now, I wouldn't hesitate. I'd start looking now. Truck Month is usually in March so your timing is pretty close. The new 3.5 EB is a dandy and I would highly recommend it over any diesel any day. Some of the guys are getting in the mid 20's with it at 75mph. What you'll lose with big tires I have no idea.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I've driven both diesel and gas trucks for years. I don't know if I'd see much purpose buying a F150 diesel, when the ecoboost will likely outperform it with cheaper maintenance.

On the other hand, a F-Superduty... then no doubt diesel.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:13 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Nothing wrong with the gas 6.2 in the Superduty for most folks.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Yes, the 6.2 is fine. However, if you plan on just using the truck as a tow rig, then a diesel is worth considering.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I highly doubt the diesel in the F150 will tow as well or drive anywhere close to as well as the 3.5EB. It's down a lot of horsepower and a good bit of torque, something like 100 hp and 50ft-lb at similar engine speeds. It will get better gas mileage but it's not worth it. The ROI will be nearly 200,000 by the time you add in the extra maintenance on a diesel. Nope, if I'm getting an oil burner it will say Super Duty on it.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Thx for the feedback guys I really appreciate it. The 3.5 EB is what I'll go with. Once Truck Month gets here I'll pull the trigger. I've heard from several people like most of you mentioned the additional maintenance cost for the diesels and all of your feedback just affirms it. I don't tow often but when I do it's either my boat or UTV on a trailer. Doesn't sound like it's worth the additional cost / headaches that come with diesels.

With larger tires and lift I just wanted that extra bit of fuel mileage. Given your feedback I'll just stick to the EB. Thank you again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I wait for the Diesel?