2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 F 150 door pillar manufacture label for tires may be wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 F 150 door pillar manufacture label for tires may be wrong.

My 2015 Lariat door pillar tire label says 35 psi tire pressure in my 20 inch factory Goodyear wrangler tires when cold. I check my tire pressure weekly and have them rotated every 5000 miles when service is done. The inside and outside of each tire was wearing as if not enough air was in tires. I put four brand new factory tires on and now o run them at 40 psi instead of the manufactures recommended pressure of 35 psi. Hang on do no close out yet! My previous F 150’s were 2009 and 2004. Both had 18 inch tires with manufactures recommended tire pressure of 35 psi. Do you see the problem? Also the 2009 and 2004 were steel body trucks instead of aluminum like the 2015. See the problem now? If the previous trucks with a steel body and 18 inch tires then the lighter aluminum truck with bigger tires should have more air in the tires than the heavier trucks with smaller tires. I think the manufactures label for the tires on the door pillar on my 2015 F 150 Lariat with 20 inch tires shows wrong tire pressure. The factory tires are great. Kevalar belt, 2959 pounds load rating, speed rating 118 mph. Those Goodyear wrangler 20 inch tires should wear equally if the proper air pressure is maintained in them. When I told the service manager at the ford dealer about this he just scratched his head having no answer to the problem.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:13 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I see this all the time and it's pretty simple. The air pressure on the door jamb is the RECOMMENDED air pressure for the factory tires. It gives the best ride with not much else considered. I've never seen a tire with Fords name on it. So unless Ford is going to warranty the tires, mileage included, I'll follow Fords recommendation. But seeing as how Ford doesn't warranty the tires from day one, the tire makers does, I'll follow the tire makers recommendation as stated on the sidewall. The tires have had for decades, a built in 20% allowance for the tires to expand due to heat above the max air pressure as stated on the tires. Follow the tire makers max if you want the best handling, gas mileage, and wear. If ride is important, follow Fords.

FWIW, the 91 Bronco I have came with 235/75/15 tires. The sticker on the jamb says 35lbs max. I have 31" tires on it with a max pressure of 50lbs. At 35 lbs, the tires are half flat. The truck is almost not drivable at all. So if I ran that low of air pressure and rolled the truck, is Ford going to warranty any damage to the truck? Obviously not and Ford wouldn't have warrantied the truck even on day 1 of ownership. Like I say, unless the name FORD is on the tire, follow the tire makers specs.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:29 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The sidewall is MAX pressure, not necessarily the pressure you want to run! My Michelins say 44 psi on the sidewall but I run 35, they are wearing properly and riding and handling well. My Michelin snow tires also say 44, but Tire Rack told me to run 35, those also wear, handle, and ride well. My door jamb says 30 front/32 rear, it came with Generals with 35 max on the sidewall. After the Generals, I got 85k miles out of a set of BFG's running them at 35.

In general, I think MAX pressure is:

P-metric standard load: 35
P-metric extra load: 44
LT load range C: 50
LT load range D: 65
LT load range E: 80

The sticker on the door jamb is *recommended* pressure with the exact tire the vehicle was delivered with carrying a normal load - not towing or loading up a full bed.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:09 PM
I know what the max psi on tire is and also what it says on door pillar. Comments so far are about everything except difference in tire size and difference in weight from steel body trucks versus aluminum body trucks. Would just like everyone with a aluminum body truck with 20 inch tires to be able to get more miles from their 20 inch tires than I did. I first noticed abnormal tire wear after only 18000 miles on the new factory installed Goodyear wrangler 20 inch tires on my 2015 Lariat crew cab with the new aluminum lighter body.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
My truck came with the wrong size tires from the factory. The dealer let me keep them and gave me a check for a new set of tires. Another reason I will buy another Ford.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:19 PM
If it weighs less why would running more pressure help? To me more pressure is gong to make the centers wear quicker.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:22 AM
The recommended tire pressure is for ride comfort and drive-ability not for tire wear. This is one of the main reason why I always replace my first set of OEM tires with Michelin tires. You get all of the qualities of the tire as well as high mileage. The last set of Michelin's that were on my 2014 F-150 had 72,000 miles on them when I traded the truck.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by LariatBill
I check my tire pressure weekly and have them rotated every 5000 miles when service is done. The inside and outside of each tire was wearing as if not enough air was in tires.
I do exactly the same thing and have the exact same wear pattern. The center looks like it would be good for another 10k. I'm now at 36k miles and the edges of the tires are worn completely out.

I'm now shopping for new tires, anyone have an opinion for replacements? I want a smooth quiet ride with excellent braking, my only off-road concern is riding on beaches/sand.

Thx,
Steve

Old 02-03-2018, 05:37 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I really like my Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. They ride and handle very well and are very quiet.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by silvercreek
The recommended tire pressure is for ride comfort and drive-ability not for tire wear. This is one of the main reason why I always replace my first set of OEM tires with Michelin tires. You get all of the qualities of the tire as well as high mileage. The last set of Michelin's that were on my 2014 F-150 had 72,000 miles on them when I traded the truck.
Love the Michelin tires. Have used them on many past trucks. There is one down fall with them. Because they have a harder rubber compound ( that’s why they last longer) the ride comfort on a lighter vehicle will not be as soft or smooth.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by silvercreek
Ok. But remember what was said in the posted thread. Original factory tires. Tire pressure checked almost weekly. Tires rotated when 5,000 mile service is done. Amount of air pressure tires should have when cold came from label on door pillar. At 18,000 miles abnormal wear on all 4 tires at their inside and outside tread. This is not the norm. Take any one of those tires into a tire guy that knows what he is doing and he will tell you you are not using enough air pressure in the tires.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by StevL
I do exactly the same thing and have the exact same wear pattern. The center looks like it would be good for another 10k. I'm now at 36k miles and the edges of the tires are worn completely out.

I'm now shopping for new tires, anyone have an opinion for replacements? I want a smooth quiet ride with excellent braking, my only off-road concern is riding on beaches/sand.

Thx,
Steve
I replaced my factory Goodyear wrangler tires with a identical set. Why? Because of the tires specs. All season tire. Mud and snow. Kevalair belt. Load rating on the individual tire is 2295 pounds. Speed rating of 118 mph. Warranty 60,000 miles. Bought them from the local ford dealership that has serviced all the trucks I have had since living here.

Quick Reply: 2015 F 150 door pillar manufacture label for tires may be wrong.