2015 - 2020 F-150

Push button start

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 11:15 PM
RWW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Push button start

I have a stupid question. Never had a vehicle as fancy as this 2017 Lariat, it came with a FOB and push button start. How long does the battery last and what do I do if the battery in the FOB dies? How in the world would I start the truck?

Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
R.T.F.M. There is procedure in the manual, read it. I would be more concerned about losing the fob over a dead battery in it. My daughter lost one for her focus titanium with push button start, cost me around 3 bills for a new one. You need to have two programmed keys to add a third, lose one and you have to go to the dealer, they have the equipment needed to add a second key fob, but it will cost you on top of the cost of the new fob.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 01-15-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:40 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The Focus with the push button start has you use the folb to push the start button.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
They all do. Every ford I've had or currently have with pushbutton start, the fob needs to be inside the vehicle to start it. Right now all 4 vehicles I have has pushbutton start, the mustang, both edge's, and the focus, plus we had a 13 escape and a 12 focus with it and they all work the same. If the battery in the fob dies, you can still start the car, once you get in. The start function uses an RFID to allow the car to start and it doesn't depend on the fob battery to operate. The battery supplies power to the standard fob functions like lock, unlock and remote start. Most fords have a hidden key slot and an actual key inside the fob as a backup in case of battery failure so you can still get in with out breaking in the car.

Quick Reply: Push button start