2015 - 2020 F-150

Looking at a 2018 but scared of all the new tech...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a 2018 but scared of all the new tech...

Coming from a 1998 F150 so I figured I am due for an upgrade!

I'm 47 so technology doesn't scare me but it seems there is a large amount of new technology in this F150. I'm also an Engineer so I know good design can make anything reliable. But, the more complex the system, the more failure points you have.

I would get the V8 for sure no matter what in XLT trim.

-PTWA cylinder coating, no liners.
-10 speed tranny with low vis fluid
-Direct and Port injection
-Auto stop/start
-Aluminum body and bed (bed concerns me most)

All of these items add up to some pretty decent MPG claims for a full size truck. However, I don't want to part of a grand experiment that results in a truck that is constantly in the shop or needing high dollar repairs later in life. I'll spare you the details but I absolutely loathe having to deal with Ford service departments, hence I do all my own maintenenance/repairs with the exception of tires/alignments.

I have been looking at the Tundra also as it is a simpler platform with less new tech. However, the mileage is terrible but no worse than what I get with my 1998.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Uh, none of the things you've listed are "new". The Plasma Wire Transfer has been around since Ford started using it back in 2011. Besides adding strength to the block, it lowers the actual frictional surface that the piston rides on which translates to better fuel mileage, longer engine life, and better lubrication.
The Low Vis fluids are not new and are the thing of today for ATFs. It's not a magic fluid, it's just built to take the beating that the higher HP engines of today can throw at it. If you remember any of the General Science stuff you were supposed to learn in high school, a thinner fluid will collect and release heat far faster than a thick fluid. Works the same for motor oils and ATFs. The low vis transmissions are going to run cooler than the older ones.
Direct and port injection is obviously not new. What is new to the Ford line up in the USA is the engine carrying both. But again, this isn't new to Ford. They've been doing this in Europe for a couple of years now. Other car makers are doing the same thing and have been. The default is to port injection if anything should go wrong so the only bad that can happen is that the engine just won't make full power.
The auto start/stop feature is probably the most hated by drivers. The wifes 2017 Escape Titanium has it. She's gotten accustom to it and doesn't even know if the engine is running or not. If it bothers you, they make an after market plug-in at the trailer lights plug that cancels it out. The start stop does not work if there is a trailer on the hitch and plugged in. There's also a button on the dash you can push to cancel it but you have to push it every time you start the engine.
The aluminum bed on the Ford is miles ahead of the Turdra. The Turdra doe not have sufficient support under it even though it's steel. Many of the commercial users have this as the #1 complaint- bed failure, and no, it's not warranted by Toyota. There are many vehicles out there that have been for decades all aluminum, like the Range Rover. It's nothing new, just new to the Ford truck.

Like everybody, I have an opinion. I think the year model 2018 F150 will be the best Ford F150 to ever hit the streets. The only caveat to it is the 2.7 EB engine. Not sure they've worked thru all of the bugs that the engine has had. But the new 2018 3.5 EB or the V8 are top shelf engines.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Uh, none of the things you've listed are "new". The Plasma Wire Transfer has been around since Ford started using it back in 2011. Besides adding strength to the block, it lowers the actual frictional surface that the piston rides on which translates to better fuel mileage, longer engine life, and better lubrication.
My understanding is the PTAW is new in the 5.0 V8 this year. I agree the technology has been around for a while. However, some high performance applications do have a limited service life of the block (Nissan GTR, for example).

The Low Vis fluids are not new and are the thing of today for ATFs. It's not a magic fluid, it's just built to take the beating that the higher HP engines of today can throw at it. If you remember any of the General Science stuff you were supposed to learn in high school, a thinner fluid will collect and release heat far faster than a thick fluid. Works the same for motor oils and ATFs. The low vis transmissions are going to run cooler than the older ones.
My understanding of the benefit of the low vis fluids is laminar flow and lower frictional losses. Not sure how a low vis fluid is "built to take the beating" or what that even means. If you look around there are some papers on increased glazing as a result of the increased concentration of friction modifiers required in low vis fluid.

Direct and port injection is obviously not new. What is new to the Ford line up in the USA is the engine carrying both. But again, this isn't new to Ford. They've been doing this in Europe for a couple of years now. Other car makers are doing the same thing and have been. The default is to port injection if anything should go wrong so the only bad that can happen is that the engine just won't make full power.
Again, this is new for the 5.0 and 3.3 this year. It is my belief that not all technologies are equally applied amongst all manufacturers and all engines. Look at the disastrous results of the 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstroke diesels. Just saying its been around a while does not necessarily mean it is implemented well on the 2018 models.

The auto start/stop feature is probably the most hated by drivers. The wifes 2017 Escape Titanium has it. She's gotten accustom to it and doesn't even know if the engine is running or not. If it bothers you, they make an after market plug-in at the trailer lights plug that cancels it out. The start stop does not work if there is a trailer on the hitch and plugged in. There's also a button on the dash you can push to cancel it but you have to push it every time you start the engine.
This would be the first thing I would disable. You lose some features using a trailer plug to disable but it is very easy to jumper the switch in the dash for a permanent delete. I know for a fact most journal bearing wear takes place on start so maximizing that (start cycles) seems like a bad idea. Not to mention the increased wear on the starting system.

The aluminum bed on the Ford is miles ahead of the Turdra. The Turdra doe not have sufficient support under it even though it's steel. Many of the commercial users have this as the #1 complaint- bed failure, and no, it's not warranted by Toyota. There are many vehicles out there that have been for decades all aluminum, like the Range Rover. It's nothing new, just new to the Ford truck.
This a new one to me. I would love to see some data to back this up. I know Ford will claim their "military grade" aluminum is superior but it would be neat to see something more than claims. I'll look much closer and underneath on the Tundra though as I compare the two. Even my 1998 has suffered bed damage from non-commercial use so that is important to me.

Like everybody, I have an opinion. I think the year model 2018 F150 will be the best Ford F150 to ever hit the streets. The only caveat to it is the 2.7 EB engine. Not sure they've worked thru all of the bugs that the engine has had. But the new 2018 3.5 EB or the V8 are top shelf engines.
I appreciate your opinions. That is what I came looking for.

These vehicles are designed and built by humans, and none of them are flawless. If they were all designed properly and manufactured properly there would be no recalls or lemon laws.

I appreciate Ford's desire to lead the class in specs and EPA mileage, however, there is no spec or measurement for long term reliability other than time that I have seen. I wonder where these trucks will be in 10-20 years.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm up in the Cleveland area, right in the heart of the rust belt. And the steel bodied vehicles don't last up here, but the aluminum stuff does. I regularly see old kenworth's, peterbuilt's mack's etc still running around up here. They have been making the cabs out of aluminum on the big class 8 trucks for at least 50 years and they still hold up.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:09 PM
Good point, in the rust belt body issues are a real concern.

Does Ford do anything special on the steel frame?

Old 09-02-2017, 11:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Andy, you've gotten good advice in the last posts. I think the new tech is quite reliable. My only thought is that if you like to do your own work, you might find you'll be more limited to "replace" rather than "repair" with some of the electronic things.

However, I've driven my 2014 3.5L EB for 10,000 miles now (most of that towing a 3500# trailer) and have had NO problems whatsoever. It's loaded with almost all the options Ford could slap into a truck too.

- Jack

Old 09-03-2017, 05:50 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As much as I am a Ford family (60 years+) IMHO, I am very disappointed with the direction Ford has taken and these engines/drivetrains are also soon to be the newest "Disposibles" because the troubleshooting &/or repairs will exceed the value of the vehicle real fast! The issues include coking (turbos), paint adhesion issues, AC components what have a failed, leaking Freon into passenger compartments...which Ford hads agreed to replace but are lacking supply chain capabilities, spontaneous dash fires (focus- which Austrailian government has engaged ford in a lawsuit), and I won't even go into the "Powershift" tranny's since that is really not installed in trucks...but there are international governments who are engaging in full scale investigations currently.

I hate to say it, but, if I was looking at a new truck (had to situation) right now, I would look strongly at GM..... and deactivate the what used to be called the V8/6/4 systems as they are having real issues with that.......inadequate lubrication on the deactivated cylinders causing ring failures and IMHO I would also look at replacing the power steering hoses (unless they have gone electric) with larger diameter units (used to be 3/8 diameter) which causes the pump to overheat.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
What about picking up a lightly used 2011-2014 5.0?

Old 09-04-2017, 01:17 PM
I just bought a '17 F150 Screw with the ecoboost. I switched from 2014 Ram crew cab with the 5.7.

The ecoboost only has slightly less hp than the V8, but way more torque, that's why I chose that engine.

I used the Nada guide side by side comparison with F150, Ram, Sierra, tundra, with all engine configurations. The F150 ecoboost came out on top for me.

Most old-schoolers will still rely on the V8, but that's none of my business, everyone has their own opinion.

As far as the aluminum body goes, primarily the truck bed, just get it rhino lined or line-x then all will be good. My local Ford dealer already my truck line-x'd.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
What about picking up a lightly used 2011-2014 5.0?
I've thought about that but my current truck is a Supercab Long Box. I swore I would never get a truck without an 8' box and after 19 years of ownership I have been happy with 8' box more times than I can count.

A supercab 8'box in XLT trim is a very rare truck.

I had to custom order my 1998 and I suspect I would have to custom order a 2018 also.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:07 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyCBR
I've thought about that but my current truck is a Supercab Long Box. I swore I would never get a truck without an 8' box and after 19 years of ownership I have been happy with 8' box more times than I can count.

A supercab 8'box in XLT trim is a very rare truck.

I had to custom order my 1998 and I suspect I would have to custom order a 2018 also.
If you aren't in a hurry and trying to find a new truck this weekend, you should be able to find one pretty easily.

What City/State do you live in?

Old 09-05-2017, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by Patman
If you aren't in a hurry and trying to find a new truck this weekend, you should be able to find one pretty easily.

What City/State do you live in?
Baton Rouge, LA

That configuration is easy to find in an XL trim in white (fleet work truck) but much harder to find in an XLT. Once you start talking about specific options and color they are very hard to find.

Also, once you start putting in zip codes on fords website for northern climates they tend to be 4wd, I need a 2wd.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a rental car a couple weeks ago with the auto-start/stop "feature" which you could NOT disable. It was a late model Chevy Cruze.

I had it 4 days and it drove me NUTS... would NEVER own something that you could not disable that.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:28 PM
The bed is fine, the aluminum does the job just as good as steel; don't even worry about it. The bed is also fine in the Tundra, I've had both and used them. The Tundra I beat the crap out of using for work, I replaced it with a very basic F250.

I would get the most basic truck if you are worried. The higher end f150s have a lot that can break.

I wouldn't dissuade you from getting a Tundra, tried and true at this point. The extended cab function is a lot better as well. Downside is fuel economy and payload options compared to the F150 being class leading by a long shot it seems. The 5.7 in the Tundra is the way to go, they shouldn't even offer the other engines in my opinion only they they gain is a lack in power compared to the 5.7.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:18 PM
As a new 2018 owner, I just wanted to place my 2 cents worth. In response to the OP, yes there is a bunch of tech, far and above whats going on in the engine compartment. I only have 300 miles on this truck, but so far its good. The start/stop is probably the worse thing. Yes you can turn it off, but I need to be programed to do that every time I start it. It is (unless your buying this truck mileage), most disconcerting. You stop at the first Traffic light in early morning, and you are waiting for the light to change and all of a sudden, the AC starts slowing down, you look at the dash and the tach is @ 0 rpm's. The first question in the back of your mind is "The engine stalled" ! However I do have the Forescan software, and have found where to permanently turn it off (without buying plugs, or hot wiring the switch), and it will happen soon.

Next I understand why the 6.0 got such a bad rap (stupid people doing stupid things to the engine). I drove my 06 6.0 for 90,000 miles with only 1 failure (FCIM died, but didn't strand me and I got home). I attribute it to superior maintenance (above and beyond what FORD recommends), but if you over fuel that engine, you will blow it up (It wasn't designed for that).

I do believe that the new trucks are way over computerized and it will require superior skills to fix it. Find a dealer that has the best Tech's. I did that with my old 06, and will continue to do that in the future.