2015 - 2020 F-150

2.7 ecoboost engine failures TSB 17-2077 - Anyone with details?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.7 ecoboost engine failures TSB 17-2077 - Anyone with details?

Unfortunately my engine is amoungst the ones with the potential for the valve guides to come apart. Can any techs on the forum provide some detail to help us understand how big of an issue this is? I'd sure hate to find out on a road trip that one of these might come loose and ruin my engine and vacation.

The other issue being that I don't want to own a truck that needs an engine swap. I know there are a lot of great techs out there, but unfortunately I have encountered a few that performed the most god-awful hack jobs on my Ford vehicles when warranty work was needed. The worst was 3 warranty claims that ended up requiring 12 visits to get all the problems from the hack artist fixed. I don't have the time or patients for that anymore!

Old 06-13-2017, 09:14 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
There aren't any perfect vehicles out there. I bought a new 2005 Dodge Magnum with the 5.7L Hemi V8. Some of those drop valve seats and destroy the engine. It hasn't happened to mine yet with 107k miles on it but I'm aware that it could happen. Seems the valve seat press fit in the head isn't tight enough. I love the car and I keep it and enjoy it.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:24 PM
If mine lets go, I hope it is sooner rather than later.
Would this be covered by the 5 year 60k warranty? If a failure like this takes out my cats, does ford cover the repair outside the 3 year 36k warranty?

Old 06-14-2017, 08:45 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
You might want to consider buying the extended warranty.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read a few threads at F150forum as well about engine issues with this 2.7L.

Thought about getting this little engine in my wifes Fusion but we opted to get the 2.0L Ecoboost as it is an economical (great mpg), powerful little engine that has very good performance for about 2/3rds the price of a Sport.

If you're that worried about design flaw reliability with the 2.7L Ecoboost, why not trade up to a 5.0L that has been proven to be a pretty good engine with only a handful of failure complaints mainly from users of Tuners. The new 3.5L Ecoboost is to early to tell if it's going to have problems as the previous generation 3.5L Ecoboost in the 2011 - 2014 models. Only one of the many reasons, I found myself in a 5.0L for towing my large Jayco travel trailer in 2012. For 2015-2016 I feel the problems were finally worked out with some redesigns/re-engineering of intercoolers and software. In 2016, I chose my 5.0L for many others reasons.

If not, buy an extended warranty but they only go out for 7 years/125,000 miles. Hopefully the problem would show itself within that 7 years for the huge chunk of change that warranty will cost buying it after the fact, of the truck purchase.

Last edited by Mike Up; 06-25-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:37 PM
So far it looks like all of the ones with issues go before 5k miles.
I know in the past the extended warranty was negotiable from any dealer willing to play. If that is still the case, I might go that route if the 5 year 60k powertrain warranty doesn't cover enough.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:15 AM
My 16 2.7 has just over 6,200 miles

Originally Posted by white elephant
So far it looks like all of the ones with issues go before 5k miles.
I know in the past the extended warranty was negotiable from any dealer willing to play. If that is still the case, I might go that route if the 5 year 60k powertrain warranty doesn't cover enough.
My father beat into me since I was 12 years old. "Check the Oil on the first of the month." So for the next 41 years, on the first of the month. I'm pulling the dip stick and checking the oil. For the first 3000 miles, until about April. The oil was constant. Half way between Max and Min. On my May check, the oil was below the Min mark, but still on the stick. I added one quart. That brought the level back to "normal." The June check came and it dropped again. Still in the "Good Zone", but near the min. I did nothing. This past weekend, there wasn't any oil on the stick at all. I put in one quart, and the level is just a hair over the low hash marks. Basically the truck burned two quarts in just over 3,000 miles. I've never had any engine burn oil like that. I've notice some minor rough idles. Mostly when the AC is on, and when the engine restarts from the Auto Start/Stop. But nothing that I would say was odd. A short tap on the gas and the engine smoothed out. I've not noticed any loss of power, and the engine seems to run fine under load.

So, took the truck in for the Oil change, and casually mentioned the low oil level, and that I've added two quarts in just over 60 days. At first the service advisor said it was the new 2.7 engines. I quote "It's hard to get an accurate reading on the dip stick of these 2.7 engines." I made no reference to the TSB. So I parked myself in their customer lounge, and about 45 minutes later the service manager called me into his office. He proceed to explain the TSB, and that FORD was replacing my engine. With only 6300 miles.

Now I'm 53 years old and have owned Ford's and Ford V8 for 33 of those 53 years. Two V8 Mustangs, a V8 F150 that I traded for this one, and I still own a V8 Tbird. To this day I've never had an engine that burned oil like this 2.7 did. Actually in all cases, the V8 engines out lasted the bodies.
Dealer said it would take seven to ten day for the new engine to arrive, and then another two week to install. The surprising thing, they let me drive the truck home.

The truck is going in tomorrow – Monday to being the work.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:17 PM
The engine is burning oil because oil is getting past the valve guide.
Once your new engine is broken in, you should have little to no oil burning.
Hopefully you get a good tech that gets all of the details right.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:14 PM
2.7 engine problems

I have a 2016 150 2.7 that has 25k miles on it and about 1k miles a go she started smoking. I took her in to the closest dealership and they first said they have to replace the motor and 30 minutes later they called and said that they are going to replace the heads! I told them to just fix it! It is still under warranty. 3 weeks later and a buch of bs lies later i got to get my truck and it is still smoking! The service manager and gm told ke to drive it until it blows up. I put 1k miles on it and still smoking 1 quart of oil low i take it to another dealer in town. The said it has low oul pressure and still smoking! They are waiting on Ford engineers to figure out what to do about it. It also has a rough idle. Can any one help me decide wether to keep it after they fix it or trade it for a 5.0?

Old 07-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Got a 2016 f150 2.7, production date 9/16. Had an sudden awful engine shudder first week of May, I brought it to the dealership.The service manager informed me that there is no more engine oil, without asking me or giving an explanation as to how it did happen. I just drove the truck for 1,240 something miles since the last oil change. Initially, I was informed that the cylinder head had to be replaced and that I had to wait for a week, its coming from Sacramento. The following week I was informed, the part could not be sourced from Sacramento it is now coming from Detroit. After a month of my truck sitting in the dealership, I was informed by the service advisor that they could not find a cylinder head and that they tried finding a new engine replacement but could not find one. The service advisor confided that there is a national backlog for the needed part. I was advised by the service advisor to give Ford Motor a call. All I got is a case # and their promise that they gonna escalate my case. As of this writing they could not even provide a tentative date as to when the repair could be completed. My truck currently had 14,200 something ODO reading. They provided a loaner, a Ford Escape though. Any input or advice on this?