2015 - 2020 F-150

5.0 Gear shift question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 Gear shift question

I apologize in advance if this has been asked, but all I have seen regarding this is with the Ecoboost.

I recently traded in my 2006 5.4 V8 for a 2016 5.0 V8. I am not sure if this is part of the new design of the trucks, but my gears change from 1-5 relatively fast (5th@35mph) which then seems to bog down on the transmission if I hit a small incline or need to speed up quickly. My old 5.4 stayed in 3rd and 4th gear longer which made the truck more responsive to the pedal. Anyone else notice this? I am hoping this isn’t an issue and just part of the new design to increase gas mileage.

Thanks

Old 01-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
The 5.0 makes more power than your 5.4 did, as well as closer gear ratios in three transmission will feel more "busy" then you are used to.

Most people complain about the bog in 3rd when the Torque Convertor locks up

Old 01-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a 5.0 and the six speed in my 13 and stock it shifted the same way. After I got custom tunes, the shifting changed. On the 87 octane performance tune I chose the sport shift and it upshifts to 4th at 35 mph, 5th at 45, and 6th at 55 during normal driving.

My point is, get a custom tune and the tuner can adjust your shift strategy to your liking.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try driving in Sport Mode if you don't like normal.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:15 PM
Thank you all for the replies. It's not that I dislike how it drives, I just am not used to 5th gear at such low speeds (32-35mph) and then 6th at 40. I have had the truck for less than 2 weeks and am paranoid so just wondering if that is normal and sounds like it is.

And yes, sport mode is nice! I'll look into the tuning.

Thanks again

Old 01-15-2017, 11:34 AM
I believe it shifts early so they can squeeze out a little more on the MPG ratings.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:21 AM
Absolutely. I find myself driving in M more often these days and using 6 less often too. I've been using it for my DD for a while now and it's pretty annoying. I have a 40 mile commute over both interstate and some windy parkway. I'm trying to cruise at 75 in 6th say, and it keeps slowing down until I finally have my foot way down and then it finally downshifts. By then I've lost 10 mph and have to stand on it to get back where I wanna be. If it's windy, it's worse. Feels like I'm towing. So, driving in 5th is way better. I use 6th on down-hills and tailwinds LOL.

Sometimes I use S, but I don't like the aggressive downshifting whenever I touch the brakes. Then, when I'm back on throttle and it takes WAY too long to upshift and the motor is racing like crazy. S mode would suit me if it didn't downshift by itself.

So, I'm back to M mode.

Why don't they make it rev match in M or D(when I manually lock out gears)?

Also, when do you NOT downshift in M or D? I mean, at what point do you figure it's damaging? I'll downshift (if I want/need to) when it's under 2K rpm. My service manager said 3 or 4 was ok, but he didn't seem very convinced of it. I don't know much about how these tranny's work. More and more cars are coming fitted with paddle shifters, like ours has the button(of death?). Does that mean it's SAFE to actually use it?

TomJV