2015 - 2020 F-150

2nd oil change in Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 2nd oil change in Ecoboost

Just finished doing the 2nd oil change in my relatively new 2016 XLT Ecoboost.

God...I hate the way they engineered this truck for anyone who wants to do a little DIY for maintenance. I know I'm not used to the new oil filter config, but just to get to the drain plug requires an old fart like me to be a contortionist.

You would think the engineers would figure out that some of the guys (maybe most) who buy this truck are working men (at least to some extent).

Anyway...had to rant about this. I like the truck but this simple task has turned into buying some new tools just for removing the filter properly, and swearing for 10 minutes while I remove the under carriage cover. And another few choice words when I have to put it back on.

Happy Thanksgiving guys (and guyettes)

Old 11-24-2016, 03:03 PM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Me 2 on the second oil change. One could throw away the street shield but the drain is so easy to loosen ? A 14 volt impact loosens and runs the screws on it fine though. A floor jack at the front with jack stands and blocking the back tires with 2x4's works best for me. I know the motor wasn't started before the 10/15 minute forever drain of oil into the pan was complete. Happy Turkey day !

Last edited by papa tiger; 11-24-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A fumoto Valve may make things easier for you.

http://www.fumotousa.com/results.php...+3.5L+V6+Turbo

Old 11-25-2016, 05:47 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Or you can just go to the Ford dealer and get the Works package for $29.95. What little you can save by doing it yourself is balanced out by the aggravation and inconvenience of the waste oil and filter disposal, and you will be getting a complete inspection. Not like the old days when you could just toss the waste in the trash or dump it out in the woods.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:38 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
My wife's Inifnit EX37 requires the removal of about 15 screws and 3 push pins to get the plastic shield off that is under the engine in order to change the oil. The rest of it is really easy.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
A fumoto Valve may make things easier for you.
BAM! Love mine. I leave a piece of hose on it and I can take the 5qt jug from my last oil change and out it right under the truck and open the valve.

Next is to figure out how to get the filter off without a mess. I had a Derale 15725 oil filter relocation kit on for about 1500 miles but when the oring let go the second time off it came. I think I'm going to make the sides of the drain pan a little taller and tilt it forward somehow.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Appreciate all the input guys, but I'm just frustrated that the "better ideas from Ford" guys never thought to put a drop down trap door to access the drain plug easier, and use a larger filter. Why in the world do we need to take off 16 sq ft of undercarriage cover to change the oil?

I don't mind changing the oil myself, and actually prefer it. Around here, if you go to a dealer to have something simple done, you waste a ½ day of your time, and then you risk them putting on the wrong filter, or leaving it loose.

And I have a recycle center just down the road for the used oil. So it's easy for me to do it, I just hate the engineering of the 2016 2.7Eco for this task.

I can't wait to try to flush the coolant system...I'll probably have to pull the engine...(just kidding)

Old 11-27-2016, 10:08 PM
Pull the engine or the cab. Most engine work in the previous super duty had to have this done (can removal).

I hear ya in removing the bottom though. But with the valve I leave the hose on it and I am able to reach up and flip the valve open without having to remove anything. Definite time saver.