F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2015 - 2020 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2015-2020-f-150-136/)
-   -   backup sensors, strange behavior (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2015-2020-f-150/508076-backup-sensors-strange-behavior.html)

Daniel Gagner 12-19-2015 12:18 AM

backup sensors, strange behavior

Twice now, on my new f-150 I've put the truck in reverse and the right rear backup sensor comes on full, as if I'm right near something. The solid tone stays on. It will keep doing that for a few hours when I put it in reverse then later on it will stop doing it. It's happened twice in the past week.

I guess I've got to take it in to be looked at but wondered if anyone else had this issue and how it was resolved.

Wyseilmykkar_09 12-19-2015 11:50 AM

Have you washed your truck and/or had snow or rain around the same time?

If there is moisture on the sensors and it gets cold the resultant ice will cause the sensor to think that you are close to an object.

Daniel Gagner 12-19-2015 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wyseilmykkar_09 (Post 5175830)
Have you washed your truck and/or had snow or rain around the same time?

If there is moisture on the sensors and it gets cold the resultant ice will cause the sensor to think that you are close to an object.

Could be. It was in the morning, but here in Maine we're having summer in December. It does go down a bit at night though. I'll pay attention to that next time. And if it does happen I'll try to warm it up a bit with my hand to see if that helps.
Thnx.

FordService 12-21-2015 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel Gagner (Post 5175802)
Twice now, on my new f-150 I've put the truck in reverse and the right rear backup sensor comes on full, as if I'm right near something. The solid tone stays on. It will keep doing that for a few hours when I put it in reverse then later on it will stop doing it. It's happened twice in the past week.

I guess I've got to take it in to be looked at but wondered if anyone else had this issue and how it was resolved.

Hi Daniel,

If it happens again, I'd recommend swinging by your dealership so you can show a tech. How many miles are on your truck? I'll do what I can to assist as well.

Crystal

piercede 12-21-2015 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel Gagner (Post 5175802)

Do you have backup assist and blind spot monitors? THrew me at first when the backup assist was going off because of approaching traffic from the sides. That sensor could be causing your issues too if equipped.

Daniel Gagner 12-21-2015 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by FordService (Post 5176057)
Hi Daniel,

If it happens again, I'd recommend swinging by your dealership so you can show a tech. How many miles are on your truck? I'll do what I can to assist as well.

Crystal

Thank you, About 1500 miles. It's new. Just a couple of tanks of gas so far. Trouble is that as I back out of the garage it doesn't work, then in my errand running It won't work for awhile then it works. So within about a half hour it always starts working. Then again on some days it works right from the beginning. So bringing it to the ford dealer might not be beneficial unless they can test for a sensor being bad intermittently.

Anyway, thanks for responding on this....You are acting very strange for an automobile company, responding personally like this. This is my first Ford. Not used to anyone caring much.

Daniel Gagner 12-21-2015 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by piercede (Post 5176061)
Do you have backup assist and blind spot monitors? THrew me at first when the backup assist was going off because of approaching traffic from the sides. That sensor could be causing your issues too if equipped.

No, and it just started doing it. Occurs condinuously even after I'm out of the garage with nothing around the truck at all. A steady beep and the red line around the truck and right sensor block in the display.

FordService 12-21-2015 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel Gagner (Post 5176065)
...Anyway, thanks for responding on this....You are acting very strange for an automobile company, responding personally like this. This is my first Ford. Not used to anyone caring much.

Sure thing, Daniel; it's my pleasure to do what I can to help out. If you decide to get your dealer involved, let me know; I'll escalate this to the customer service manager for your region. All I need to make that happen is a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

fordmantpw 12-21-2015 12:42 PM

That Prius you ran over (and didn't feel) said it was working properly. :lol:

Daniel Gagner 12-21-2015 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by fordmantpw (Post 5176082)
That Prius you ran over (and didn't feel) said it was working properly. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

CJ Castillo 12-09-2016 11:36 PM

I am having the same exact problem

I am having the exact same problem on my 2015 f150. Did ford ever take care of this problem for you?

Daniel Gagner 12-09-2016 11:41 PM

I've told them about it at oil changes but they say they need it malfunctioning when I bring it in. It's so random.. but I've got it documented.

j2014_F150 01-29-2017 10:56 PM

My 2014 F-150 has backup sensors which worked flawlessly until this winter. Now, they work intermittently. I had the truck into the dealer for an oil change, and asked them to check connections. They said they did, but they couldn't fix it until the problem appeared again. Starting the truck to drive away from the dealer the sensors didn't work. So I summoned the service guy, and he said they want the truck for the full day to take apart the entire wiring harness to see if they can find an issue. While I like these guys, this is effing scary in my book.

They didn't work today until I took it to the car wash, and now they work again. The issue seems to be dirt related, but not always. In the past, they worked through salt & dirt to a degree I found astonishing.

I get the Check Rear Park Aid light on sometimes, but not always. When I don't get this message there is no check mark in the rear park aid box, which is a subtle message with the same outcome.

jagrimsrud 02-12-2019 09:32 AM

So I've had this problem happening....not all of the time, but about 80% of the time! I just bought a 2018 F-150, which was a Ford Service Rep's vehicle previously. I wanted to have the recalls done, as well as any work that might need to be done under warranty, before the original manufacturer's warranty ran out. I bought it through my relatives dealership in Minnesota, and one of their mechanics looked it over. He said that the pinion seals were leaking, but other than that...looked in pretty good shape. They didn't have time to get it in to the shop to fix it before I had to leave town after picking it up because they were already booked up. So I said no problem..I'll get the work done when I get home with the truck at our local dealership. Since then, the right reverse sensor has been going off with a red light and a constant beep usually...sometimes its only a yellow light and an intermittent beeping. But mostly its acting as if i'm about to hit something when there is NOTHING behind me! And i'd say it does this about 80% of the time when I put it in reverse. There seems to be no logic or pattern to when it does or does not do it though. I've tried wiping sensors clean, I've taken it through the car wash to clean it. I took a video to show the dealership. Well, of course, when I took it in for my appointment, it didn't act up that day! They had my truck all day and they said they couldn't get it to replicate the problem and there were no codes showing any problems or issues. So they said there is nothing they can do....even though they know there's a problem, I showed them the video i took of it happening. And like clockwork....when I go to pick up my truck....hop in and immediately it does it again! This was after all the mechanics had left for the day though, so when I went inside to tell them to come look at it now...nobody was available to do that.

Now...this might just be one of those things where you say "eh...its annoying, but no big deal" but its a VERY big deal! Its a SAFETY issue! The other day, I was in a parking lot, which was a "one-way" directional flow parking lot. There was no moving cars anywhere in sight when i got into my truck, I put it in reverse and the stupid sensor was going off with a constant beep....i was backing out of the parking spot, turned to put it in drive and go forward when i see another car out of the corner of my eye RIGHT NEXT to my truck....i have no clue how we didn't hit! But that idiot was going the wrong way down the parking lot! I didn't see this person, obviously, but my cross-traffic warning would have alerted me to that idiot if it would have been allowed to work! But since the right rear reverse sensor was going off....the cross-traffic alert didn't go off! If I would have gotten into an accident with my new truck that doesn't even have license plates on it yet and still had a temp reg for transportation because of this problem....i would have been pissed! So i want this fixed! It seems its an issue for many people....but the dealership says they cannot do anything unless its happening when they have it in their possession. Which it apparently didn't do they whole day they had it last week! ugh! typical...take your car to get it fixed and then it acts all normal lol.

Daniel Gagner 02-12-2019 11:55 AM

I'm the original poster for this thread. Mine did this for a year while new, but off and on like you. Eventually they took the connection off and cleaned it and whatever else they might do to it, maybe electrode grease or something. Now it's fine. Been fine for a long time. My f150 is a 2015