2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 FX4 - End of the sandbag era?

Old 04-28-2015, 02:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 FX4 - End of the sandbag era?

All of my friends have sand bags in the beds of their older trucks. I get that it moves the sprung weight to the back, over the rear wheels.

Do we really need to keep doing this to improve traction and safety? I find it hard to believe this practice continues w/o any changes to the pick-up designs to compensate, aluminum bodies or not.

In the Summer, does this do ANYTHING for me on a newer truck w/ a more modern suspension, on paved roads that will have the occasional rain and slick?

It's been a long time since we owned a truck. I am a bit sad if this sandbag thing is still necessary to start

Old 04-28-2015, 03:23 AM
MDK
Simple answer is no. Maybe in a Ranger/light truck you could get away with some sand bags but the amount of sand you would need to add to make a difference is pretty substantial. Better tires and proper driving technique will out perform any "redneck" fix. You won't see my driving my truck around in winter with my motorcycle in the back for extra weight and I have a tad bit more power than your friends I'm sure.

Last edited by MDK; 04-28-2015 at 03:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:42 AM
My friend has a 2010 Raptor club SVT ;D, fully loaded. He's got sandbags back there because he drives alone and without cargo.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:58 AM
MDK
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel
My friend has a 2010 Raptor club SVT ;D, fully loaded. He's got sandbags back there because he drives alone and without cargo.
How many sandbags are we talking? Just seems like nonsense unless you have a few hundred pounds back there and yes I still have much more power than his Raptor. Hell my truck is 2wd and I live in Colorado and never use sandbags during winter ha.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an older truck but mine has never had sandbags in the back.

That is why I bought a 4x4. If I need it I use it.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never had an issue summer or winter. 4wd works wonders.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:55 AM
I keep my '02 loaded with so many tools and junque, don't need any useless mess to haul around.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:05 PM
I think the short bed crew cabs have a weight distribution that requires very little compensation. Only when snow is on the ground do I add a little weight in my 2wd 13. It has a **** on the dash that you can also lock the dif.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:19 PM
your friend is an idiot.

Unless he's driving someplace to help prevent a flood... otherwise there is no need to haul around sandbags.

The reason some guys do it is to get more rear wheel traction in a 2WD truck in the winter.

It will only help you on the "go"... it won't help you stop any faster. (since you are stopping more weight - its a linear relationship).

back to your friend. He's driving a 4WD truck with a locking rear diff. If he gets that thing stuck then no amount of sand in the bed will help.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:37 PM
I put sand bags in the back of my 2 wheel drive F-150 and 4x4 F-250 for winter driving. The F-150 has limited slip, which helps in snow, but without any weight over the rear axle it just spins both wheels, while the rear end swings from side to side. I had about 500 lbs over the rear axle this past winter and in heavy snow it still was a chore. The 4x4 F-250 has a Detroit True Trac and I had about 600 lbs over the rear axle. It helps by having to put it into 4 wheel drive less often and when in 4x4, there is better traction on all four wheels. Plus in circumstances where someone needs to be pulled out of a ditch it makes it easier.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2 wheel drive truck and didn't have any problems getting around on the ice and snow covered roads this past winter. I live in TN where they don't do a lot for the roads except the Interstates and a few main roads but most secondary roads don't get much attention and had no problems. Good tires and a limited slip are a big help as I put new tires on my truck last October.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:19 AM
Even in the "old days" the only reason I ever put kitty litter in the bed of my truck was for when I got stuck. It should be noted I only got stuck when I was out screwing around. I never had enough in the bed to really make a difference, but I also lived in an area where I think the snow and ice that collected in the bed might have performed the same job for the day or two that the roads were bad after a storm.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:51 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
You don't need the weight in the rear of the bed in the rain, especially if you have a traction lock rear. You just need to be more careful about how hard you stomp the go pedal. In the snow, it will help a bunch. But, I have never added weight to my 4x4s. Never felt like I needed to. I do usually have a camper shell on the back that adds a few lbs though.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:49 AM
I came from a 09 2wd Tacoma, (not fully loaded) I live in the Midwest where we see plenty of rain and snow. I have never put sand bags in my truck and put on 30 to 40 thousand miles a year on that truck. The traction control in that truck was great for a basic Tacoma. I can't imagine why a truck 3 times the price with all the bells and whistles would need sandbags. Better safe than sorry I guess.

On another note you can switch the 4wd switch to Auto if you don't feel comfortable with the weather your driving in.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:00 AM
I drove a 1985 short-bed F150 XLT for 2 years in the winter time in the Detroit Michigan area without sandbags or any other kind of weight in the bed. Driving techniques and skill has a lot to do with how well a truck will negotiate snow and ice. Grant it there were a few times I wish I had been driving a tank but for the most part the truck did a decent job getting around.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 FX4 - End of the sandbag era?