2015 - 2020 F-150

Build your own, negotiating price question

Old 01-30-2015, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Forrest_F150
I always refuse the doc fees to the point of telling the dealer it will kill the deal. They always cave in. There are a ton of Ford dealers out there and a ton of F150's. If they are willing to lose the deal then I'm more than happy to go elsewhere.
I actually threatened to walk out on the purchase of my '08 F250 due to doc fees (it was used with 26k miles when I bought it). He had the paperwork written up with a $50 doc fee and I told him we had agreed on a total price including fees, and I would leave if he didn't remove it. He was miffed when he had to redo the paperwork, but I don't stand for that trickery BS!

Old 01-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree. Bought a new Explorer for the wife last year using the TC price & made them agree to that price + tax & license period. Not one dime above & it worked great. When looking at the 2015 F150 one dealership had on the lot a couple weeks ago they had something like a $1,500 Dealer Markup fee added to the bottom line. I'm guessing they tried to justify it to any poor sap who'd entertain it by saying they're hard to find if you don't want to order one.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:03 PM
You can actually get a better deal sometimes ordering than buying off the lot if you play your cards right because of the way holdback works. It costs the dealer money for a car to sit on their lot, but when you order one they sell it immediately and get to keep a bigger piece.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by cdiddy4224
Where are you from? How much below invoice did the dealership go? Which model?

Sorry, I'm nosey

There are many options missing from true car site. Dual panel moon roof, lariat sport package, and extended fuel tank to name a few. If you go to x-partner and do a build the dealer should at least match that price for any one interested. All options are available on the x-partner site. You can save anywhere from 3k to 5k from MSRP depending on how much you spend.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Local niner
There are many options missing from true car site. Dual panel moon roof, lariat sport package, and extended fuel tank to name a few. If you go to x-partner and do a build the dealer should at least match that price for any one interested. All options are available on the x-partner site. You can save anywhere from 3k to 5k from MSRP depending on how much you spend.
Out of curiosity on new options, I was just building a reg. cab 6.5ft bed on the x-plan site and it only had a 23 gal tank. Where is the extended fuel tank option and how many gallons increase is it?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:20 AM
I have a 2015 F-150 Platinum on order.

I built the truck on the Ford web site first. I then printed off the build sheet and sent it out to about 6 dealers to see what they would order it and then sale it to me for. No trade, just truck including destination fees.

I had one dealer only go down to their invoice price. A couple of dealers dropped out quickly.

I ended up with two dealers that I then had work back and forth against each other. I ended up about $2500.00 under invoice. The only difference between the two dealers was that one cried uncle before the other one. They were within about $250 of each other.

After all of this, I discovered the web site "True Car". Went there, built the same truck - my deal beat their "certified best deal" by about $3000.00.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
Out of curiosity on new options, I was just building a reg. cab 6.5ft bed on the x-plan site and it only had a 23 gal tank. Where is the extended fuel tank option and how many gallons increase is it?
Last night I just went to my local dealership. The owner told me that they aren't making the lariat with the 23 gal tank. I believe the extended tank is 34 but don't quote me on that. It's not a real expensive option. The best advice I can give you is to go talk to a finance manager, or sales manager, not a salesman and tell them exactly what you want. Trust me they know what resources we have as consumers and nobody is hiding anything from them. With that being said just tell them
Exactly what your looking for and subtract anywhere from 3 to 5 thousand and start negotiating from there. Keep in mind that they get a 3% hold back from the MSRP directly from Ford. So they will make there money.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Can you post a link?. I go to Fordpartner.com, but they don't give an option to build and price the cars.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:09 PM
As posted elsewhere; you can use the Mustang Club of America's number MC405. Once entered on the indicated page it will redirect you to the standard Build and Price page which has the "partner prices" vice the MSRP price. These are very close to the invoice price. I did this on a truck similar to your build and got an x-price of more than 4K less than MSRP.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Aztec69
As posted elsewhere; you can use the Mustang Club of America's number MC405. Once entered on the indicated page it will redirect you to the standard Build and Price page which has the "partner prices" vice the MSRP price. These are very close to the invoice price. I did this on a truck similar to your build and got an x-price of more than 4K less than MSRP.
Thanks. I had access to the site, just never saw the build & price link.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by 1depd
Can you post a link?. I go to Fordpartner.com, but they don't give an option to build and price the cars.

I cannot give you a direct link because you have to login. The company your affiliated with should have info on obtaining the code. You can use someone else’s code to get in and look around but when It comes time to purchase they verify your affiliation with the partner company.

Go to fordpartner.com. Once you do you will be required to enter in your “partner Code” it 5 letters or numbers long.

Then you will be directed to a welcome screen where you will have 3 categories.
The Xplan Discount- ( this is the section where you will click the link below that says pricing and incentives.
XPlan rules- I would read through these as with everything there is some fine print.
Get your pin- This is the last thing you do before you finalize the deal. If you obtain a pin it expires within a week.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:22 AM
I cannot give you a direct link because you have to login. The company your affiliated with should have info on obtaining the code. You can use someone else’s code to get in and look around but when It comes time to purchase they verify your affiliation with the partner company.
Unfortunately I've never been able to get Ford to give me a code. They always say, "Just go to your local dealer. They can give you the price of any vehicle you want."

Old 03-08-2015, 04:00 PM

Go to fordpartner.com. Once you do you will be required to enter in your “partner Code” it 5 letters or numbers long.

Then you will be directed to a welcome screen where you will have 3 categories.
The Xplan Discount- ( this is the section where you will click the link below that says pricing and incentives.
XPlan rules- I would read through these as with everything there is some fine print.
Get your pin- This is the last thing you do before you finalize the deal. If you obtain a pin it expires within a week.
I have never heard of a pin expiring within a week. So I did some looking on the Ford Partner website, and this is from the FAQ page:

5. What if I don't use the PIN that I generate?

Your PIN is valid for 12 months from the date it is issued. After the 12 months, your PIN will automatically expire and no longer count against your 2 PINs/year allotment.

6. How long is a PIN valid?

PINs remain active for 12 months from the date of issue.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:04 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
You don't even have to deal with a partner to get X-plan. You need at least 100 shares of Ford common stock, and have had them for at least 6 months.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:24 PM
After you initially select the 2015 F150 on TrueCar you need to go to the top of the page & select it again. Otherwise it starts you off building out a 2014. If you change it to 2015 all of those options are there. The one I just priced on there a few minutes ago came out at $600 below invoice, or $5100 below MSRP. No idea why it defaults to 2014, but that's the reason those options weren't showing up for you I bet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Build your own, negotiating price question