Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 F-150 Preview Guide

Preview Guide brochure located here...

link: http://2015-ford-f150.com/wp-content...view-Guide.pdf

Old 05-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Question What happens?

Cool beans, thanks.

I've been thinking lately about aftermarket, and if Ford has any plans to give advice or solutions to add-on's, now that there's all this talk of bad things happening if steel & aluminum touch without all sorts of special treatments/fasteners/etc.

For example, if I was to stop prepaying my mortgage and snag myself a 2015, how would I install a lightbar on the roof? What happens when those 4 mounting screws go through the roof?

Or if someone wanted to install a Back Rack or other aftermarket bolt-on accessory. What happens? I haven't heard anyone bring this topic up yet, and I know a lot of people here love to throw mods on their trucks. Anyone have any thoughts on this yet?

Old 05-06-2014, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
Cool beans, thanks.

I've been thinking lately about aftermarket, and if Ford has any plans to give advice or solutions to add-on's, now that there's all this talk of bad things happening if steel & aluminum touch without all sorts of special treatments/fasteners/etc.

For example, if I was to stop prepaying my mortgage and snag myself a 2015, how would I install a lightbar on the roof? What happens when those 4 mounting screws go through the roof?

Or if someone wanted to install a Back Rack or other aftermarket bolt-on accessory. What happens? I haven't heard anyone bring this topic up yet, and I know a lot of people here love to throw mods on their trucks. Anyone have any thoughts on this yet?
I'm curious about some of the same things but some of these issues just may be as simple as using stainless hardware so two metals won't react to each other or making a paper gasket for say between your back rack and bed. Making sure your upgrades and the hardware stay painted so it doesn't start rusting or corroding. Idk just maybe some ideas that may prevent problems

Old 05-06-2014, 07:27 PM
I haven't heard anyone bring this topic up yet, and I know a lot of people here love to throw mods on their trucks. Anyone have any thoughts on this yet?
This is a good question.

First, I would avoid all mods that require drilling. Most mods today are a no-drill installation and don't require any unnecessary drilling. I wouldn't want to drill the hood of a new truck whether it was aluminum or steel.

Light rack: I would get a no-drill rack or an all aluminum rack. Or get an aluminum rack that can install into the stake pockets.

If you have to drill, insulate/coat the screws with polyurethaneas as dscribed in the threads below. Then put some silicone on top to seal it.

Or use aluminum screws.

Back rack: get an aluminum rack.

Tonneau cover: rails and hardware should be all aluminum.

Fender flares: use the flares already on the truck when you buy it, or use the 3m tape aftermarket type with no drilling

Tie downs: the new trucks will have double the tie downs, if you need more get the no drill aluminum for the stake pockets.

More on this:

Avoiding galvanic corrosion
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...print/true.cfm

Is Stainless Steel Corrosive to Aluminum?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/i...num-49955.html

Old 05-06-2014, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just use magnets!

Old 11-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Cool beans, thanks.

See here......

Attaching Accessories to Aluminum Panels and Structure
QVM Bulletin: Q-222
Date Issued: 07/22/14
Models Affected:
2015 MY and later F-150

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-222.pdf

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 F-150 Preview Guide