2015 - 2020 F-150

Was considering 13 Fx4....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was considering 13 Fx4....

More I read about the 2015s... I feel sympathetic for people that bought 2013 and 2014 as the improvements and changes for the 2015s are so much

I'm curious to see how much performance and towing improves with the shedding off the 800lbs.

Also the interior improvements are worth the wait for the new Gen imho

Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I couldn't pass up the deal I got on my 2013, so that's where I'm at now... My 97 F150 was probably #800 lighter than my 2013...

I'm already having to get used to having a 3.5l V6 engine! Sounds like they will be offering a 2.7l V6 for the 2015?? Just not ready for that and aluminum is for beer cans!

Mitch

Old 03-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Then, anyone wanting the latest technology (8 or 10-speed transmission) will have to hold off for the 2016 models.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:43 PM
I found nicely optioned Fx4 for 38400..i think that was good. Probably going to wait

Old 03-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Heracles
More I read about the 2015s... I feel sympathetic for people that bought 2013 and 2014 as the improvements and changes for the 2015s are so much

I'm curious to see how much performance and towing improves with the shedding off the 800lbs.

Yeah, I think I will just walk for a year Seriously, you would never buy a vehicle if you always waited for the next best thing.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MitchF150
Just not ready for that and aluminum is for beer cans!

Mitch
Aluminum bodies are nothing new. They've been making big rig (peterbuilt, kenworth, etc.) cabs out of aluminum for 40+ years and it hasn't been a problem so I don't know why people seem to think that it will be now.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 03-16-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm okay with the aluminum if it helps increase payload. I don't however like the fact that you cannot get a decent V-8 option. Might have to jump to GMC to get the 6.2L that I want when my 5.4L bites the dust. The new ones look really good for once. Is it true that they got rid of the push-rods on their motors 5.3/6.2? I heard that they are completely redesigned, but I never took the time to look into it.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 08FX4SC
I'm okay with the aluminum if it helps increase payload. I don't however like the fact that you cannot get a decent V-8 option. Might have to jump to GMC to get the 6.2L that I want when my 5.4L bites the dust. The new ones look really good for once. Is it true that they got rid of the push-rods on their motors 5.3/6.2? I heard that they are completely redesigned, but I never took the time to look into it.
Still push rods

Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A 'decent V-8 option?' What is wrong with the 5.0? It's a mighty fine engine itself, and preferred by many (most) who also had the 5.4L.

And no, the GM engines are still push rods.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw

A 'decent V-8 option?' What is wrong with the 5.0? It's a mighty fine engine itself, and preferred by many (most) who also had the 5.4L.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by Heracles

From the information I've seen its up to 700 lbs, on the Supercrew models. Less for other models.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:09 AM
The 5.0 is detuned so consumers select the Ecoboost instead. You cannot get the higher tow rating with the 5.0.

I think the Ecoboost is an amazing engine, but it isn't appropriate in a truck that tows and hauls regularly. With the Eco you're taking a really small engine and placing it in a larger mass vehicle. By doing that you're significantly stretching the engine's operating envelope. They're usually under boost just for normal drivability and therefore fuel milage suffers.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 AM
The 5.0 is detuned so consumers select the Ecoboost instead. You cannot get the higher tow rating with the 5.0.
That doesn't change the fact that it is more than 'decent.' And really, if you are towing more than 9k regularly, you need a 3/4 ton truck. Doesn't the 5.0 have a higher tow rating than your '08?

I think the Ecoboost is an amazing engine, but it isn't appropriate in a truck that tows and hauls regularly. With the Eco you're taking a really small engine and placing it in a larger mass vehicle. By doing that you're significantly stretching the engine's operating envelope. They're usually under boost just for normal drivability and therefore fuel milage suffers.
Well, according to the EPA (which is really the only TRUE way to compare one engine to another), the EcoBoost does 1 MPG better than the 5.0. That's empty.

If you are regularly towing heavy loads, then yes, the EB may get just a tad less MPG, than the 5.0, but since the 5.0 can't tow that heavy, it's not a fair comparison. In reality, if you want to compare fuel economy, you need to compare the EB to the more closely rated (towing and torque numbers) 6.2L. There, the EB more than holds its own. However, if you are regularly towing heavy (which you insinuated since the 5.0 doesn't have a high enough tow rating for you), then you really need a 3/4 ton truck. Like it or not.

Logically thinking about your statements just don't add up. Half tons are not meant to regularly tow 9k+ lbs. Will they tow it? Sure. If you need to do it regularly, you really need to be in a bigger truck.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Logically thinking about your statements just don't add up. Half tons are not meant to regularly tow 9k+ lbs. Will they tow it? Sure. If you need to do it regularly, you really need to be in a bigger truck.

I don't tow over 9,000lbs regularly. I haul a lot with it though, and I like having the extra capacity when I need it without having to maintain a diesel. For a daily driver a 6.2L F150 is quick and efficient. An F250 with a 6.2L is a dog. I just don't like gas engines in 3/4 ton or higher trucks period. I just came back from Green Bay last night and I clocked 19.8mpg for the entire trip with my heavy 2008 truck that has the old 5.4L. I think a new 6.2L could get that or better in an aluminum body. Now, the Eco might get in the low 20s on the same trip, but lets say you're hauling a 6,000lb contractor's trailer everyday with the truck. You get an F-150 because you're never going to tow anything else but that 6,000lb trailer. The 6.2 is going to get better millage towing the trailer than the ECO. If its real windy the ECO will probably be south of 10 mpg easily. Thats just how I see it. What is the point of owning a half-ton if they cannot be expected to do some work everyday? The problem is that most people use them as a status symbol and couldn't care less what is under the hood. I'm sorry, it doesn't matter how many turbos you slap on a 2.7 liter engine; its never going to outclass a naturally aspirated V-8. Its like a woman stuffing her bra to look like Pam Anderson, but in the case of engines we're using boost to be like a V-8. I hate to admit it, but I think GM is going in the right direction with their active fuel management system. The technology has improved a lot over the last few years, and I think it is going to be a win for them. Ford should leave the turbos at the drag strip.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:03 PM
I don't tow over 9,000lbs regularly. I haul a lot with it though, and I like having the extra capacity when I need it without having to maintain a diesel. For a daily driver a 6.2L F150 is quick and efficient. An F250 with a 6.2L is a dog. I just don't like gas engines in 3/4 ton or higher trucks period. I just came back from Green Bay last night and I clocked 19.8mpg for the entire trip with my heavy 2008 truck that has the old 5.4L. I think a new 6.2L could get that or better in an aluminum body. Now, the Eco might get in the low 20s on the same trip, but lets say you're hauling a 6,000lb contractor's trailer everyday with the truck. You get an F-150 because you're never going to tow anything else but that 6,000lb trailer. The 6.2 is going to get better millage towing the trailer than the ECO. If its real windy the ECO will probably be south of 10 mpg easily. Thats just how I see it. What is the point of owning a half-ton if they cannot be expected to do some work everyday? The problem is that most people use them as a status symbol and couldn't care less what is under the hood. I'm sorry, it doesn't matter how many turbos you slap on a 2.7 liter engine; its never going to outclass a naturally aspirated V-8. Its like a woman stuffing her bra to look like Pam Anderson, but in the case of engines we're using boost to be like a V-8. I hate to admit it, but I think GM is going in the right direction with their active fuel management system. The technology has improved a lot over the last few years, and I think it is going to be a win for them. Ford should leave the turbos at the drag strip.
You throw out an aweful lot of probably's. The 3.5L will tow 6k lbs all day every day. That's not towing heavy. 8k, 9k+ is towing heavy for today's half tons. And I'd put my money on the 3.5L for fuel economy vs. the 6.2 in towing anything under 8k lbs.

To each their own. And since we are comparing trucks to women, I like my trucks like I like my women...the total package. I don't go for the biggest breasts or the nicest a$$. Sure, it's nice to have fun with for a while, but when it comes time to live with her every day, the person inside sure is a lot more important than how big her breasts are. Just like the fact that trucks are a lot more than how many cylinders are under the hood. I can live with a woman with smaller breasts (a V6) if she has the personality (turbos and DI) to go along with it.

Hmmm, you know, that's a really good analogy...I'm glad you brought it up.

Quick Reply: Was considering 13 Fx4....