2015 - 2020 F-150

New 2.7 EB has Power vs Ram EcoDiesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove an Audi A4 Avant Manual in one of the scandihooovian countries last year and I found the system to work very well indeed no issues at all.
One thing i did find different was the traffic lights from red it goes to yellow then to green which gives you a kinda warning push the clutch down and the engine is running before the green shows.
But the auto stop start worked very well with the stick when i drove it
Cheers

Old 02-14-2014, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wookie
Two of my three vehicles have a man pedal so it really doesn't bother me for the most part as long as the clutch pedal isn't too terribly hard. I had the Opel Corsa in France which has some fairly aggressive drivers and it's every man for himself. I checked the Opel website and they also claim a near seamless integration but I can attest this is not the case as I certainly noticed the time it took the engine to start. The website says that when you put the car in neutral and take your foot off the clutch the start-stop engages, pushing the clutch in and putting it into gear restarts the engine. Normally, in this case I would immediately start coming up with the clutch to go but there was a delay before the engine came back to life. I was the first person to rent the car so it couldn't have been worn out because it only had 8km on the odometer when I picked it up.

The integration in the F-150 might be better but for now it is not something I want to put up with.

FYI: the same trip I had a Ford Fiesta (also the first person to rent) and knocked of 50+ MPGs driving across Paris in moderate traffic. I was very impressed with that car. However, the next person to rent it might not be since I changed every menu and setting possible to the US English units and language.
Nice I'd love to have my truck be a manual and if/when I get an older diesel and/or Mustang, I'll make sure they're manual.
Originally Posted by Ross-FX4
Still 10 year behind Europe in the diesel stakes. Shame.
I think it's mostly social. For most folks, "diesel" equals redneck pickemup trucks and commercial rigs.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I think it's mostly social. For most folks, "diesel" equals redneck pickemup trucks and commercial rigs.
100% agree.

It not a technology problem at all. It's people who want a diesel that performs like a gas engine.

Where I come from diesel pickups are pure work horses. Basically the minimum required to get the job done as economically as possible. Believe me a 2.5 four banger diesel cost penny's to service and run.

Don't get me wrong, am a fan of the big V8 gas engines, I wouldn't buy a diesel pick up unless is used it as part of a business or towed daily etc. then If I needed a diesel truck for that kinda use IDE have a second vehicle for daily chores.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ross-FX4
100% agree.

It not a technology problem at all. It's people who want a diesel that performs like a gas engine.

Where I come from diesel pickups are pure work horses. Basically the minimum required to get the job done as economically as possible. Believe me a 2.5 four banger diesel cost penny's to service and run.

Don't get me wrong, am a fan of the big V8 gas engines, I wouldn't buy a diesel pick up unless is used it as part of a business or towed daily etc. then If I needed a diesel truck for that kinda use IDE have a second vehicle for daily chores.
I think they'll catch on slowly, and the infrastructure/production will come along with it. There's too much potential with the diesel platforms. They can, and do, stomp hybrids in the MPG game. There's no reason for anyone in Europe to own a Prius. I wonder what made diesel jump in price so much in the last decade. I can just barely remember when it was, quite literally, dirt cheap. I know a lot of folks that have slowly swapped over from daily-driving diesels into gas burning half tons in the last few years when it was time to get a new truck. I'd personally still daily-drive an older, no emissions diesel with absolutely no need for any truck at all, but that's just me haha. No way I'd touch a new one, and certainly not one in a car, at least with the emissions in place.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:54 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
Here's the story on diesel fuel.

Here in the US, diesel is taxed heavier than gas. Also, the ultra low sulfur regulations have driven refining costs way up.

It also has a lot to do with the supply/demand equation for how each barrel of crude is refined. When gasoline demand is high, the diesel yield suffers.

The reasons for diesel popularity overseas are also tax-based. Generally, diesel is taxed a lot less than gasoline, and vehicles themselves are taxed based upon engine displacement. That's why you see so many small displacement Eurodiesels now.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, diesel fuel is government subsidized/price limited in places like France. They basically mandate that diesel can not sell for more than regular unleaded.

Another problem with taking a Euro spec diesel straight across the pond and expecting it to work is the difference in diesel fuel. The Euro diesel is much cleaner and has a higher cetane (sp?) rating than US diesel. VW had a hell of a time on the first generation of Clean Diesels because the sand and grit in the US tractor juice diesel was eating up the HPFP and injectors. Lots of cars had the entire fuel system replaced under warranty and there is now a different pump and injector combo for US cars. The problem is the US version doesn't have a spray pattern near as tight as the Euro combo so the efficiency suffers.

Quick Reply: New 2.7 EB has Power vs Ram EcoDiesel