2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 Eco-Boost Power Bump Figures?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Countryboy8602
Indeed, Ford would never get caught up in a numbers game. I mean, with its 11,000 pound tow rating, a 5.4l triton should tow every bit as well as the EB or 6.2 right? lol
Hey - a half-ton Turdra can move the Space shuttle - good 'nuff fer me. Gonna git me one o' those

MGD

Old 02-24-2014, 11:38 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Nihilus
You have got to be the ONLY person that claims the ecoboost is working 'hard.' How do you 'tell' the eco is working harder? Seriously, explain yourself. Truth is you have a stigma against smaller displacements and modern turbos. The reason they do not put the 3.6 Eco in the F-250 is that the 3.6L loses it's fuel advantage after 7000 lbs, not because it isn't tough enough.

with logic like this, it is a wonder people do not flock to these forums.

You are full of crap and everyone hear knows it. people just don't call you out enough on it.
Not really. I have no issue with the ecoboost, just not for me. I'm a V8 guy and sorry if people get butt hurt about that. No everyone has to like everything. I'm not into V6 trucks, big whoop.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Countryboy8602
Indeed, Ford would never get caught up in a numbers game. I mean, with its 11,000 pound tow rating, a 5.4l triton should tow every bit as well as the EB or 6.2 right? lol
Just because it will tow it doesn't mean it will tow it fast! That is, until the new towing standards go into effect for the '15 model year (for Ford...Toyota already goes by the new standard).

Really, though, towing is more about cooling, braking, and chassis strength than it is about sheer power. 350 HP CAT diesel engines tow 80k lbs all day long. I don't think you need 400 HP/450 ft-lbs in a truck to tow 11k.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
I'm sure the power numbers will be the same as current trucks for the first year / year and a half. After that my best guess is Eco will go 420hp/450Tq (GM has a 3.6TT making 420/430?) 5.0 will go 390hp/400tq, 2.7 300hp/320tq, and 3.5 with 260hp/240tq

the 3.5 will be 260/240 ya cause ford is going to lower there base v6 numbers???? 302/278?? from the 3.7 and dropping.2 of a L will cause this well the 5.0 must really be de tuned then lmfao

Old 02-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Nihilus
You have got to be the ONLY person that claims the ecoboost is working 'hard.' How do you 'tell' the eco is working harder? Seriously, explain yourself. Truth is you have a stigma against smaller displacements and modern turbos. The reason they do not put the 3.6 Eco in the F-250 is that the 3.6L loses it's fuel advantage after 7000 lbs, not because it isn't tough enough.

with logic like this, it is a wonder people do not flock to these forums.

You are full of crap and everyone hear knows it. people just don't call you out enough on it.
LOL. Ok here we go! Eco boost is working hard every time you have to go into full boost to tow up hill. The Eco boost is gutless until its in boost, every turbo'd vehicle is. Its why turbo lag is a bad thing. To solve this you put two small turbos that spool to max pressure as fast as possible. That's great, however now the motor is working as hard as it can. I love the idea that everyone (every company) is going smaller displacement with turbos. Its a fuel efficient way to get more power (unless you floor it then its worse on gas).

Again I ask you, have you towed with a Ford 6.2 and a Eco 3.5 same load? I have and I can tell you the 3.5 is working harder from my experience.

You call me full of **** yet you don't even know the displacement of the Ecoboost. 3.6 is GM TT, 3.5 is Ford TT. Maybe you should do more research first hand.

People can freely "call me out" if they want. Crash trys to on a regular basis. Its a forum its suppose to be a debate.

Originally Posted by ex91
the 3.5 will be 260/240 ya cause ford is going to lower there base v6 numbers???? 302/278?? from the 3.7 and dropping.2 of a L will cause this well the 5.0 must really be de tuned then lmfao
Yea why not? Better MPG. And the 5.0 is heavily detuned (compared to mustang version but its mainly due to intake cam difference etc for torque) and not even related the 5.4 which I'm thinking you think it is.

Here is some info on the 3.5 for you since you don't seem to realize that it only makes 290hp/254tq in a car. A car which doesn't need a towing torque curve. Towing torque curves need to be long and flat and usually hurt HP numbers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cyclone_engine
Why would ford have an underpowered motor? To get you to buy a newer 2.7 Eco over it. As I'm sure it will cost more and probably get even better fuel economy being a newer design.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 AM
LOL. Ok here we go! Eco boost is working hard every time you have to go into full boost to tow up hill. The Eco boost is gutless until its in boost, every turbo'd vehicle is.
Crap, I guess that means my 6.4L PowerStroke is really working hard when it goes into boost towing my fifth wheel up a hill. I should have gotten the V10 since it is N/A and wouldn't be working as hard without those turbos! You can't tell how hard an engine is working by looking at the boost gauge.

Here is some info on the 3.5 for you since you don't seem to realize that it only makes 290hp/254tq in a car.
The 3.5 has been reworked for '15 and gets new features not found on the current 3.5. What it makes in a car today has no bearing what it will make in a '15 F150.

You don't have to sound so rude with your comments.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Crap, I guess that means my 6.4L PowerStroke is really working hard when it goes into boost towing my fifth wheel up a hill. I should have gotten the V10 since it is N/A and wouldn't be working as hard without those turbos! You can't tell how hard an engine is working by looking at the boost gauge.

The 3.5 has been reworked for '15 and gets new features not found on the current 3.5. What it makes in a car today has no bearing what it will make in a '15 F150.

I thought he was extremely kind considering the rudeness that was directed his way. He also hit the nail on the head when he said this is a discussion forum and you should expect differing opinions. We all need to be tolerant of others opinions and allow free expression. You can disagree with someone's opinion, but do it with tact and without personal jibes. If we all had the same needs and same opinions, we would all be driving the same vehicle, same engine, same color. That would be pretty boring.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 PM

Yes you are very correct because the 3.5 TT is a diesel my mistake I forgot! Gas turbo'd motors and diesels work the exact same, guess you learn something new every day

So the 3.5 got reworked, still doesn't mean anything, its the bare bottom engine. It still wont make crap for power but being the truck lost 700lbs it will feel more healthy then in a fatter truck.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I thought he was extremely kind considering the rudeness that was directed his way. He also hit the nail on the head when he said this is a discussion forum and you should expect differing opinions. We all need to be tolerant of others opinions and allow free expression. You can disagree with someone's opinion, but do it with tact and without personal jibes. If we all had the same needs and same opinions, we would all be driving the same vehicle, same engine, same color. That would be pretty boring.
Agreed. I guess I missed the original post that was rude to him. Just taking his post out of context made it seem a bit rude and I apologize for that.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much power do you people need? Regardless of the tow rating, 10,000 lbs. belongs behind a 3/4 ton truck.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBoy88
How much power do you people need? Regardless of the tow rating, 10,000 lbs. belongs behind a 3/4 ton truck.
This ^
Once we break the 500 lb/ft mark you're encroaching or in 3/4 ton territory. I mean I love power, but when is enough.. enough

Old 02-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Yes you are very correct because the 3.5 TT is a diesel my mistake I forgot! Gas turbo'd motors and diesels work the exact same, guess you learn something new every day
I never said they were the same, but there are some similarities between the EB engines and diesel engines. The point I was making was to say an engine in boost is working hard is completely incorrect. The boost is there to help the engine make more power. Just because it is making and using the power doesn't mean it is working any harder than a N/A engine making the same power.

So the 3.5 got reworked, still doesn't mean anything, its the bare bottom engine. It still wont make crap for power but being the truck lost 700lbs it will feel more healthy then in a fatter truck.
Sure it's the bare bottom engine, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make power. More power (buy a substantial margin) than the 5.4L of only 15 years ago. Not quite as much torque, but put that new V6 in the same truck as the 5.4L of 15 years ago and the V6 will hold it's own for being 2L and 2 cylinders smaller. Today's V6's are rather impressive.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
... Today's V6's are rather impressive.
Nope, because they only have 6 cylinders they automatically suck. Get over it that's just how it is.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:56 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Nope, because they only have 6 cylinders they automatically suck. Get over it that's just how it is.
Yep, that's why a Cummins sucks.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:07 PM
I never said they were the same, but there are some similarities between the EB engines and diesel engines. The point I was making was to say an engine in boost is working hard is completely incorrect. The boost is there to help the engine make more power. Just because it is making and using the power doesn't mean it is working any harder than a N/A engine making the same power.
Well boost = More cylinder compression/pressure/stress/heat/fuel. You cannot tell me the turbos pushing 14psi into the cylinders is as stress free as them not. Sure the engine is designed for it and it will still last a long time doing so (its a Ford after all) I really got off my thought train on my post and really should have went on to say that the Eco is working harder compared to the 6.2 based on my own personal experiences. It had a harder time towing the same weight as the 6.2. I had to give it more pedal to achieve the same thing. Not talking drag racing up a hill with a trailer, I mean going up at hill at freeway speeds how much I had to push the gas to get it to do what I wanted.

Sure it's the bare bottom engine, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make power. More power (buy a substantial margin) than the 5.4L of only 15 years ago. Not quite as much torque, but put that new V6 in the same truck as the 5.4L of 15 years ago and the V6 will hold it's own for being 2L and 2 cylinders smaller. Today's V6's are rather impressive.
Well I'm in the opinion that the 2.7 and 3.5 are what ford want to sell, if its like the current 3.5 vs 5.0 the 3.5 will have more power just to be the "most powerful" to try to get people to buy it off that alone. Same, again in my opinion, that the 2.7 will have more power then the 3.5 n/a for the same reason. From what I've heard the 2.7 will be about 300-320hp. If it makes 300hp the 3.5 will not overtake it on hp. Again my opinion as no one knows for sure.

I do agree, v6s today heck, even I4 make more power then 15 year old V8s

Quick Reply: 2015 Eco-Boost Power Bump Figures?