2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 Eco-Boost Power Bump Figures?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thelariat02
I know what you're saying. I just have never seen the dyno sheet that shows the torque curve of the 6.2. I'm just going by what was advertised. And the thing is tho, those max torque numbers will sell the truck because no one will do the digging to see which truck actually has the better torque (towing) curve that suits their style of driving.

I myself love a truck that makes most of its power down low. I like the low grunt for towing, I don't care if its fast. That's what cars are for.
I agree with you 100%!

Old 02-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Trans mapping is what really killed the 6.2. I feel that's its biggest down fault, that and it makes its max torque WAY to high in the rpm range.

But yes in that scenario the EB would tow better because it can breathe better than a n/a engine at that altitude.
I think we pretty much agree here, but I doubt there's much more a different shift strategy could do for it. It would have to have more or different gears to make a real difference. The motor makes its power between 4000-5500 RPMs outside that window it couldn't get the job done. It would go from redline to lugging with every upshift. The gearing on the truck would not allow the engine to stay in the narrow power band.

While the altitude didn't hurt the EB as much the story would play out the same at any altitude. The gearing and narrow power band won't change. The EB doesn't put down the peak numbers but it has twice the useable range that it makes power.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie

I think we pretty much agree here, but I doubt there's much more a different shift strategy could do for it. It would have to have more or different gears to make a real difference. The motor makes its power between 4000-5500 RPMs outside that window it couldn't get the job done. It would go from redline to lugging with every upshift. The gearing on the truck would not allow the engine to stay in the narrow power band.
I just feel it should of down shifted way before it got down to (i think) 40 mph. That way you didn't have such a sway in speed. Its not bad if you're on the road by yourself, but if its a one lane highway going up a steep grade and someone is following you, they have to accelerate and decelerate with you. If I was the one doing the following I'd be a little annoyed.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:23 PM
The GM is in desperate need of the upcoming 10 speed tranny.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:57 PM
I just feel it should of down shifted way before it got down to (i think) 40 mph. That way you didn't have such a sway in speed. Its not bad if you're on the road by yourself, but if its a one lane highway going up a steep grade and someone is following you, they have to accelerate and decelerate with you. If I was the one doing the following I'd be a little annoyed.
I'm not sure that's an option. If it downshifted much sooner it would have over reved the motor. The spacing on their ratios is crap and certainly not well suited for that motor. But in typical GM fashion the accountants over rule the engineers.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know what you're saying. I just have never seen the dyno sheet that shows the torque curve of the 6.2. I'm just going by what was advertised. And the thing is tho, those max torque numbers will sell the truck because no one will do the digging to see which truck actually has the better torque (towing) curve that suits their style of driving.

I myself love a truck that makes most of its power down low. I like the low grunt for towing, I don't care if its fast. That's what cars are for.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/5033770-post41.html

Old 02-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie

I'm not sure that's an option. If it downshifted much sooner it would have over reved the motor. The spacing on their ratios is crap and certainly not well suited for that motor. But in typical GM fashion the accountants over rule the engineers.
Ah ok that makes sense now. Ya they need to do something about, that's horrible

Old 02-21-2014, 06:41 PM
I was talking about the GM 6.2. Unless the way they make power is similar?

Old 02-21-2014, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Im sticking to it. They are basically racing these trucks. Thats fine the eco wins. Tow across states and the big engines will tow heavier loads easier. Like I said there is a reason they put large displacement engines in tow vehicles like F250s. I get it you have an eco so its gods gift to trucks. Ive been in and driven many ecos and 6.2 F150s, yes even towing, and you can tell the larger motor doesn't work as hard. Sure the eco wins off the line.
You have got to be the ONLY person that claims the ecoboost is working 'hard.' How do you 'tell' the eco is working harder? Seriously, explain yourself. Truth is you have a stigma against smaller displacements and modern turbos. The reason they do not put the 3.6 Eco in the F-250 is that the 3.6L loses it's fuel advantage after 7000 lbs, not because it isn't tough enough.
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
The power plants are all pretty neat, I'll still take the V8 though. No replacement for displacement.
with logic like this, it is a wonder people do not flock to these forums.
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Oh I forgot to mention they even state "The eco boost should have the advantage due to the thin air density". Yes turbos help lack of air entering the motor. All NA motors choke. My truck did before the blower install. I've towed boats with my buddies 6.2 and different boat with 3.5 to the same lake on different occasions. 6.2 was just a better feel and i felt like I had to dig deeper with the eco. Anyway this is getting way off topic now
You are full of crap and everyone hear knows it. people just don't call you out enough on it.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:51 PM
What is the "test" involved in determining if a motor is working harder than a different motor? Is it merely based on RPM's? or fuel consumption? Fluid temperatures? or how far the gas pedal is depressed? or the driver's "butt dyno"? Is it just something that the driver's brain conceives as he/she is driving?

I'm just curious because from what I've read here it is simply conjecture.

To say an old F1 car that made 1000+ hp with less than 3.0 litres of displacement was being "stressed" or had to work hard I think is hogwash.

Any input would be great, specifically any real data that would prove an ecoboost has to work harder than a motor pulling a similar load using a different motor, ie; eco vs 6.2 gm...

Old 02-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cheef
What is the "test" involved in determining if a motor is working harder than a different motor? Is it merely based on RPM's? or fuel consumption? Fluid temperatures? or how far the gas pedal is depressed? or the driver's "butt dyno"? Is it just something that the driver's brain conceives as he/she is driving?

I'm just curious because from what I've read here it is simply conjecture.

To say an old F1 car that made 1000+ hp with less than 3.0 litres of displacement was being "stressed" or had to work hard I think is hogwash.

Any input would be great, specifically any real data that would prove an ecoboost has to work harder than a motor pulling a similar load using a different motor, ie; eco vs 6.2 gm...
Hi.

==> http://obdcon.sourceforge.net/2010/1...ed-load-value/

MGD

PS: If GM had just resisted the urge to go after peak numbers for it's current 6.2L, it could have re-architected the engine for truck use, to provide lower peak values but over a much wider power band (area under the curve). Coupled with matching gear ratios in the existing trans and proper tuning it would have been a truly worthy tow beast, thereby rendering this (derailed) discussion moot

Wonder WTF were they thinking?

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-22-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: "WORTHY" - arrrrgghhhh , lol
Old 02-22-2014, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan

Hi.

==> http://obdcon.sourceforge.net/2010/1...ed-load-value/

MGD

PS: If GM had just resisted the urge to go after peak numbers for it's current 6.2L, it could have re-architected the engine for truck use, to provide lower peak values but over a much wider power band (area under the curve). Coupled with matching gear ratios in the existing trans and proper tuning it would have been a truly worth tow beast, thereby rendering this (derailed) discussion moot

Wonder WTF were they thinking?
Like I said the bigger peak numbers sell the truck. GM is just worried about sales.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Like I said the bigger peak numbers sell the truck. GM is just worried about sales.
And they aren't doing too well there...

Old 02-23-2014, 09:58 AM
It's fairly obvious why they chose to set up the engine this way. They wanted to claim they have the most power in the half ton market, big peak numbers look great on TV commercials and magazine ads. Sure in reality it doesn't work as well as it could but that would cost peak power numbers. And there's a segment of mouth breathing, sister screwin' neanderthals that eat this crap up.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed, Ford would never get caught up in a numbers game. I mean, with its 11,000 pound tow rating, a 5.4l triton should tow every bit as well as the EB or 6.2 right? lol

Quick Reply: 2015 Eco-Boost Power Bump Figures?