2015 - 2020 F-150

I heard that Ford is ditching the fully boxed frame for 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Checks location, yup NY state.

You can come get my cooled seats but you're gonna have to fight me to get them. Come jump in a truck that has been sitting outside all day in the direct sun when the outside temperature is 100-110 and tell me a cooled seat isn't one of the best things ever invented by mankind! My manhood greatly appreciates not being fried when it's hot out.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:39 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I'm fine with gadgets as long as they are OPTIONAL. Some I like, others I could care less about, and others I do not want at ALL.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I'm fine with gadgets as long as they are OPTIONAL. Some I like, others I could care less about, and others I do not want at ALL.
This ^^^ The two biggest things I wish ford would make optional again on mid range and upper trimmed trucks is sync and sirius radio. I never wanted either one but you can't buy an FX4 with out them. And with ford integrating everything into the C.A.N. bus it's damn near impossible to eliminate them w/o screwing up other stuff.

Actually I used the sirius lately to try it, and the sound quality is barely better than two tin cans and a string, even on the sony system. Frankly, ford should give us three years of sat radio for free or just get rid of it. Why anyone would pay for it is beyond me.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Checks location, yup NY state.

You can come get my cooled seats but you're gonna have to fight me to get them. Come jump in a truck that has been sitting outside all day in the direct sun when the outside temperature is 100-110 and tell me a cooled seat isn't one of the best things ever invented by mankind! My manhood greatly appreciates not being fried when it's hot out.
And on the defense of heated, Mete, you apparently dislike higher end trim package trucks so I will doubt you have leather upholstery. My own manhood thanks me for the heated seat option in my '07 which warms the seats twice as fast as waiting for the air to begin blowing warmer.

I also enjoy my drivers side dimming exterior mirror helping me retain my eye focus at night and enjoy the sound of the audiophile sound system. Some folks like the gadgets. They aren't for everyone. I agree, you should be able to truly 'option', not 'add this entire group package' rip off. Some people need a truck, other folks like me don't need one all the time, just scarcely, or flat out just want it.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can understand some of the dislike for the option packages but it makes a lot of sense from a manufacturing standpoint. It is much easier to manage the supply chain and assembly line when a truck will be limited to specific build conditions. As an upside for the consumer it can lower the option price due to economies of scale. Ford can more accurately plan for the required number of parts and use this to negotiate better prices with suppliers.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:05 PM
what i think will be interesting is how business deals with the tax deductions.

anything over 6000 pounds is more of a deduction, making the trucks lighter could make them less attractive to business owners. could have a ripple effect where more time and energy is spent making the f250 more car like driving to replace all of the current f150 drivers. i think the f250 does not have as big of an effect on expected mpg ratings. i currently have an 2012 f150 and a 2013 f250 and the f150 is butter.

the saving in mpg will have no effect on what business buys, the money saved on deductions trumps money saved on gas.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering it's current weight, I doubt very much that the F150s GVWR will ever come close to being below 6000. The F150s GVWR has not been below 6000 since the mid seventies except for the regular cab short bed.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
No, they are NOT going to be made cheaper - they are going to be made lighter and with newer technology.

You probably aren't old enough to remember when Ford back in 1980 brought out the "new" F-150 that was several hundred pounds lighter than the 1979. Naysayers such as yourself were crying up a storm about how it was cheapened and no longer durable. History has disproved that theory, there sure are a lot of 1980-1996 F-150's still on the road.
Not to stray too far off topic, but as I kid I recall my old man bashing the 1980 model for their Swiss cheese frame. We had a 79 and no one wanted the new 80 due to the frame issue. We had a '80 loner when I was older and it was horrible on washboards due to flex. I could be wrong but I was told Ford made some changes for the 81MY. I drove enough 81-86 models, wasn't an issue later.

That said I had ZERO worries the 2015 F150 will have issues re frame stiffness. Won't happen. Ford has had the stiffest frame from my04 till recently. Too much depends on it. Its the backbone. Shock tuning etc. Can't go back. Even if its not "fully boxed" there will be some new tech to offset that.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM
you are correct, i thought it was vehicle weight, didnt realize it was gvwr.

Quick Reply: I heard that Ford is ditching the fully boxed frame for 2015?