2015 - 2020 F-150

I heard that Ford is ditching the fully boxed frame for 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 07cruiser
Just thought I'd throw my input in here. I work for and automotive company in Detroit and I do a lot of stuff with ford and I've already scene the 2015 f150. And as far as the frame goes, at least on the trucks that are going through testing right now, have a boxed frame. The body is indeed aluminum to save weight and increase fuel millage, but I have yet to see one with and non boxed frame.

Plus the new mustangs don't look to bad either. Still hard seeing them getting crashed though.
That's all very interesting, and good news!

Old 11-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes thats good news that they did not mess with the frame! Very good news!

Old 11-20-2013, 03:09 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
You better believe when they have the technology to lighten it without losing strength AND keeping it cost-effective, they WILL do it.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:33 PM

^ I absolutely agree with that.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
No, they are NOT going to be made cheaper - they are going to be made lighter and with newer technology.

You probably aren't old enough to remember when Ford back in 1980 brought out the "new" F-150 that was several hundred pounds lighter than the 1979. Naysayers such as yourself were crying up a storm about how it was cheapened and no longer durable. History has disproved that theory, there sure are a lot of 1980-1996 F-150's still on the road.
Maybe, but FWIW, I would MUCH rather have a '73 - '79 than a 1980 - 87 any day...

Old 11-23-2013, 01:01 PM
The 2015 F-150 that was seen with a boxed frame doesn't automtically conflict with what the writer from Auto News said. Is the boxed frame that was seen fully boxed? In all areas? The writer from Auto News still said the major sections are fully boxed with only portions in a C shape design.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:54 PM
I hope they are not going to copy Toyota's Tripletec frame. Watch:

Taking my V-8 and fully-boxed frame is where I draw the line. Thank you CAFE!!!!

Even GM has fully boxed frames now.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:25 PM
I just can't see the Blue Oval walking away from the fully boxed frame. It's a big advertising point for em'! Not to mention the advancements in alternative metallurgy. If Ford takes weight from the frame it will be through use of stronger/lighter alloys and cutaways that don't compromise strength. I am Pumped to see the new style, however I am a bit more interested in it's capabilities.

One things for sure, we all are in for a wild ride!

Old 12-26-2013, 10:23 PM
from some of the things I read, I expect that it will still be a boxed frame, but made of thinner metal. I am seeing numbers of a 750lb savings from using the aluminum panels allowing Ford to lighten other parts. I expect that the GVWR of the new vehicles will be close to 1000lbs lower, and quite possibly lower tow ratings.
All supposition at this point, but this is what I expect.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's funny because I know a true Ford guy who is looking to replace one of his current Ford trucks (he keeps them till they die, they are so old) and he said he will not buy the 2015 if they keep the fully boxed because it promotes rust because he can't get in there to clean or paint.

What do you think about that? Realistically I don't think they need a fully boxed frame, take a look at the vehicles hauling our freight most all if not all 18 wheelers, box trucks, and wreckers are on C Channels.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Pockets
It's funny because I know a true Ford guy who is looking to replace one of his current Ford trucks (he keeps them till they die, they are so old) and he said he will not buy the 2015 if they keep the fully boxed because it promotes rust because he can't get in there to clean or paint.

What do you think about that? Realistically I don't think they need a fully boxed frame, take a look at the vehicles hauling our freight most all if not all 18 wheelers, box trucks, and wreckers are on C Channels.
Yes, but those frames have to be far heavier to handle the weight. The boxed frame can handle weight far better with less material in it.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
All this bullsh1t I have heard lately about the 2015 has turned me off to it. I just decided this week to buy a 2014 at some point.

You can keep your aluminum, weak frame, 10 speed transmission "car with a bed"...

Some of the stuff said in this thread is truly laughable and it's obvious that most of you drive to work and back in your 50 grand FX4's and "off-road" to you is a puddle in the walmart parking lot.

You all can be the beta testers for these weak *** trucks. I was holding off replacing my 2005 to get a 2015, but screw it, I want a truck, not some POS pepsi can. I can already see people stealing 2015's just to recycle them and make a quick buck.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pockets

LOL The fully boxed frame came in 2004. When you actually find one that has rusted out to the point that its not safe you let me know. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Unhappy

There have been many advances in steel in the last ten years .Stronger , tougher , lighter.
Aluminum is a different material requiring different machinery and people trained differently . Repair is another thing , how many body shops can weld aluminum ? They need to ask Audi how to build Al. Al has been used in cars now for about 100 years !!! But they still have things to learn.
There is , to me , an obsession about fuel economy and they go to absurd lengths to get a drop or two better economy. These things should be handled by engineers not politicians or wacko 'environmentalists.'
Price ? We have to start breeding men not wimps-" I want cooled seats and heated seats, I want heated and cooled steering wheels " A give up those silly electronic gadgets.
I think Ford still owes me a set of tires for my '09 .They were so bad as to be dangerous so I threw them out.I want good tires and brakes not gadgets.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mete
...We have to start breeding men not wimps-" I want cooled seats and heated seats, I want heated and cooled steering wheels " A give up those silly electronic gadgets...
Checks location, yup NY state.

You can come get my cooled seats but you're gonna have to fight me to get them. Come jump in a truck that has been sitting outside all day in the direct sun when the outside temperature is 100-110 and tell me a cooled seat isn't one of the best things ever invented by mankind! My manhood greatly appreciates not being fried when it's hot out.

Quick Reply: I heard that Ford is ditching the fully boxed frame for 2015?