2015 - 2020 F-150

I heard that Ford is ditching the fully boxed frame for 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cheef
I certainly don't think cheap necessarily means light, or vice versa. Corvette is a good example. Next gen stang is another, Ford has promised it will be lighter. Only thing that hurts the cobra is weight. Imagine a cobra that weighs in 500 lbs lighter ! I am imagining a 3.0L 2nd gen ecoboost supercrew that weights 500-800 lbs lighter than current model, better aero, and includes whatever other tricks they have up their sleeve. I am sure a 20% increase in MPG is not far off. And still tows 10000lbs or more and payloads around 1700-2000, sounds good to me.

Can't wait :-)
I will say this, when your towing say in the 7-11K range which todays 1/2 tons are capable of a lighter 1/2 ton truck is not gonna cut it period!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have faith in technology, trailer sway can be improved, tires, suspension, aerodynamics, offer anti sway bar packs on tow packages for people who actually tow, even airbags (ram does if I'm not mistaken). I think there is more to towing than just sheer weight. I really think if you are going to tow 10000 lbs on a regular basis meaning 10-20000 miles per year then you should be wheeling a super duty and I'm definitely not alone thinking that.

I'm not disagreeing entirely with you because I've towed a lot of different trailers with many different trucks from single axle to tri-axle from hd to half ton. Probably over 100000 miles. There is something to be said about having a heavy tow vehicle but I believe some of the shortcomings of a lighter vehicle might be able to be overcome by technology.

I've enjoyed every succession of the f150 since I was a teenager in the 1980's. Every redesign, in my opinion, has yielded a better truck - more capable, more comfortable, smarter, more efficient.... Blah blah blah. I expect the next one to be better. I know one thing for sure, I am not going to have any preconceived notions.

Last edited by cheef; 11-18-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Its gonna be interesting to see how much "Truck" is gonna be taken out of the next gen F-150 & what they are gonna substitute it with while charging more $$$$ for it at the same time. That I wanna see! I'll keep my Ole reliable 2008 Thank You!

Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have faith in technology, trailer sway can be improved, tires, suspension, aerodynamics, offer anti sway bar packs on tow packages for people who actually tow, even airbags (ram does if I'm not mistaken). I think there is more to towing than just sheer weight. I really think if you are going to tow 10000 lbs on a regular basis meaning 10-20000 miles per year then you should be wheeling a super duty and I'm definitely not alone thinking that.

I'm not disagreeing entirely with you because I've towed a lot of different trailers with many different trucks from single axle to tri-axle from hd to half ton. Probably over 100000 miles. There is something to be said about having a heavy tow vehicle but I believe some of the shortcomings of a lighter vehicle might be able to be overcome by technology.

I've enjoyed every succession of the f150 since I was a teenager in the 1980's. Every redesign, in my opinion, has yielded a better truck - more capable, more comfortable, smarter, more efficient.... Blah blah blah. I expect the next one to be better. I know one thing for sure, I am not going to have any preconceived notions.
I am with you on this one. Every generational change brings the same misplaced anxiety. And yet I find myself impressed each time. I think people just don't like change, and the thought of unconventional thinking makes them uncomfortable.

Everytime I hear the phrase; "They don't make 'em like they used to" I think to myself; "Thank God they don't! LOL!

Old 11-19-2013, 11:24 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I'll keep my Ole reliable 2008
You do that. More power to you. Your choice, you do have a nice truck.

I am not going to have any preconceived notions.
Is this beyond your comprehension?

Old 11-19-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Its gonna be interesting to see how much "Truck" is gonna be taken out of the next gen F-150 & what they are gonna substitute it with while charging more $$$$ for it at the same time. That I wanna see! I'll keep my Ole reliable 2008 Thank You!
Other than weight, nothing will be missing. And aluminum is going to be substantially more expensive than steel for this use, so the price increase for it will actually be justified.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC -

It must be, because I don't understand your question?

I am open minded and confident in Ford. Therefore I am not "automatically" of the mindset that a "C" channel frame or whatever they choose is going to be an inferior product compared to what we have now. If it stays fully boxed then great!! Like I said, each redesign of F150 gets better. Maybe that clears up your question...?

Lemme know, cheers

Old 11-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC -

It must be, because I don't understand your question?

I am open minded and confident in Ford. Therefore I am not "automatically" of the mindset that a "C" channel frame or whatever they choose is going to be an inferior product compared to what we have now. If it stays fully boxed then great!! Like I said, each redesign of F150 gets better. Maybe that clears up your question...?

Lemme know, cheers
Hi buddy - I believe that was meant fer the ol' Mall Cop.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:37 PM

I think GLC may have thought RI said the "no preconceived notions," which is a problem with the quick quoting haha

Old 11-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Other than weight, nothing will be missing. And aluminum is going to be substantially more expensive than steel for this use, so the price increase for it will actually be justified.
Aluminum is more expensive that sure is true & will probably be used for body sheet panels. I heard possibly Magnesium for the frame? who knows? They do want to lose 500-700 Lbs however for the next gen. Just have to wait & see what pans out. Im glad I'm very happy with what I have, I don't drive a truck for speed or for fuel mileage anyway. Thats what fast cars are for.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whoever said the frame would be magnesium is an idiot. The corrosion resistance of magnesium is waaaay too low for that. The frame would look like a Tacoma's frame in less than a year. Additionally its yield strength is too low. I doubt the frame will be aluminum either, look for more high strength steel and stiffening features. A thinner gauge of steel and lots of lightening holes would easily cut 1/3 of the weight and retain or even increase strength.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi buddy - I believe that was meant fer the ol' Mall Cop.

Exactly.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:50 PM

Dammit MGD, ya beat me to it! I had this thread open for a while and was distracted before I posted . . .

We're a ways out for the time being, but I think the future of a lot of these metal components lies in carbon fiber polymers infused with microscopic (braided) metal. Some variations are much tougher than steel and much much lighter, all while being cheaper for materials and production because they can be cast/molded instead of producing multiple components that then must be welded. Really awesome stuff

Old 11-20-2013, 01:25 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
No, they are NOT going to be made cheaper - they are going to be made lighter and with newer technology.

You probably aren't old enough to remember when Ford back in 1980 brought out the "new" F-150 that was several hundred pounds lighter than the 1979. Naysayers such as yourself were crying up a storm about how it was cheapened and no longer durable. History has disproved that theory, there sure are a lot of 1980-1996 F-150's still on the road.
Interesting point, and a valid point proven about myself not remembering, I was born in 1989 .

Generation after generation it is always going to get lighter in weight, maybe a few more ponies under the hood, more plastic, and more fancy gismo electronics, its all fine with me. I too am always impressed with each new model out. I wanted a '09/'10 Lariat when the new look came out, then the '11/'12 FX4s looked better and new power trains came out, instantly wanted one. I hate a majority of the '13+ grills but I have fallen hard for the '13 blue FX4 with projectors. Love the way that trucks looks with the grill, I can see myself buying a left over '14 next year if I find one.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Just thought I'd throw my input in here. I work for and automotive company in Detroit and I do a lot of stuff with ford and I've already scene the 2015 f150. And as far as the frame goes, at least on the trucks that are going through testing right now, have a boxed frame. The body is indeed aluminum to save weight and increase fuel millage, but I have yet to see one with and non boxed frame.

Plus the new mustangs don't look to bad either. Still hard seeing them getting crashed though.

Quick Reply: I heard that Ford is ditching the fully boxed frame for 2015?