2015 - 2020 F-150

Looking at a 2016, leaking issues and questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a 2016, leaking issues and questions

Retiring my 2001 and looking to move into a 2016 FX4 Screw, full size bed. I found "the perfect" one about 40 min away with console shift, dual-sunroofs, and 3.73 E-locker, that is actually a few thousand below average, but I just saw all the dang YT vids showcasing their epic sunroof leaks. This lead to more vids of leaks which apparently come from the 3rd brake light. I'd like to think that these issues have long since been addressed, then I see 2018's leaking. Is it best to just avoid the sunroofs altogether? Is there a reliable fix for the brake light issue?

Are there any other things I should be aware of with a 2016? The "long" bed models seem to be rare around here. I think it is the 302A package that I "have to have" that includes the console shifter and full console. I noticed that the FX4 is missing the plastic lower front valance, are there any other significant differences?

Most importantly, can I consider corrosion issues to be a thing of the past with the new aluminum bodies or am I kidding myself? Any other weirdness about the aluminum bodies? Thanks!

Last edited by Jackal; 10-10-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:10 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
A sunroof is a hole in the roof that is always been a known problem. It gets even worse as the vehicle ages and YOU are the one with the leaky roof that's now out of warranty. Chose wisely, grasshopper.

The aluminum is not an issue. There are a lot of other brands out there that have been using aluminum panels for decades. Take a look at a Range Rover- it's aluminum.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Lab, at the time I was just seeing the YT vids of people freaking out, then I went back the other night and actually read the comments and everyone was saying it is designed to allow water to pour in like that, this is just the first setup that allows you to see it happening. Nearly all of the trucks that have the long bed and console shifter also have the dual-sunroof. Looking for people who have experience with 2015-2018 sunroofs.

Another odd thing, looked under an FX4 for about 15 min. yesterday AM and the whole driveshaft, diff, and skid plates were completely surface rusted. Went to another dealership and looked at all of their used FX4's and they didn't have a trace of corrosion and hadn't gotten the black paint applied so it should have been a fair comparison. All similar mileage, etc. Even the rear rotors looked pretty terrible cosmetically.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2016, leaking issues and questions