2015 - 2020 F-150

Goodbye old friend - hello new friend

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 07:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goodbye old friend - hello new friend

Made an incremental upgrade yesterday from my 2009 FX4 w/luxury package (70k miles) to a 2015 Lariat with chrome package (34k miles).

Honestly I thought I would keep my FX4 forever - it was kind of like my retirement truck. I took care of it with my OCD and still loved that truck even after 9 years.

But when doing my spring cleanup and detail I noticed something - rust starting on the bottom of the left rear door and under the edge of the cab and bed in the same area. I was heartbroken!

I live in a very rural area and they use a 50/50 mix of salt and fine gravel on the roads in the winter. The combination is like glue - sticks to everything underneath. Winter is basically a 5 month ordeal here.

I just can't afford a new truck right now and just can't settle with a barebones XLT after getting used to all the goodies on my FX4. I wasn't really planning on trading up until I spotted this used Lariat at a local dealer.

The 2015 is a one owner - bought new at that dealership and traded in a new on a couple weeks ago. They had all the service records for me so I felt pretty comfortable. It has the 2.7L engine - I thought I would really miss my 5.4L but this thing really has some snap! All I use my truck now is as a grocery truck so this one will be fine.

Advancing 6 years from '09 to '15 is amazing as far as the technology. Hardest thing to get used to is not having a key.

A few things which are a huge upgrade for me -

A driver side grab handle - oh how I need that now!

Flat platform running boards - need them also.

Dash gauges that are lit all the time - my '09 they didn't come on even with the lights on during the day.

Electric (electronic?) steering - because of my Arthritis this truck is so much easier for me to steer.

Higher end trucks are rare around here - the dealer only stocks new XLT's. So when I say this great clean Lariat I knew I had better jump on it!

I've always had Oxford White Ford trucks. This one is White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat - it's freakin' beautiful! Can't wait to do a good detail on it.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:20 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Congratulations! Glad you are happy with your purchase. Should see some fuel savings too.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Hope she is a good one for you! It’s always a bit painful to part with an old friend but the upgrades make it a little easier.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:25 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Good luck!

Old 06-17-2018, 08:46 AM
Best of Luck with your new ride

Old 06-18-2018, 12:23 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
sweet! Good luck with the new truck!

Old 06-18-2018, 07:55 AM
Thanks everyone - I'm pretty excited! I've only driven it home from the dealer (35 miles) - have been going over everything with the manual.

First trip will be a 120 mile round trip doctor appointment tomorrow - looking forward to the maiden cruise.

Then it will be a good hand wash and a thorough detail which will take me about a week. Did some research on the plastic chrome (lots of it with the chrome package) and glad I researched the wheels - PVD wheels for which I will pick up some Eagle 1 PVD cleaner also.

Only thing yet to figure out is how to power my dash cam. Think I will go with one of the add-a-fuse kits along with a hardwire kit. Will have to do some research to see with others here have done.

The electronics on this thing are amazing - especially not having a key. Will take me a while to get used to that.

Quick Reply: Goodbye old friend - hello new friend