2015 - 2020 F-150

Progressive stock shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progressive stock shocks?

Hey all, have a question about stock rear shocks. 2015 F150 Crew Cab 4WD, stock suspension.. My truck has 115,000 miles on it, I've only had it a few months so I have no experience to how it should ride, but the truck throws me all over the place when hitting bumps, etc. Figured with the high mileage it's probably due for some shocks. Found a great deal on brand new OEM take offs (5 miles on the shocks according to seller) for all 4 corners so I snatched them up. Just got them in the mail, grabbed the rear shocks and was able to fully compress them without a whole lot of effort. I'm a chic and not very strong so use that as a guideline. They also fully extended very slowly once I let them go. I contacted the seller and they are stating that the shocks are progressive and are supposed to be easily compressed. If that is the case then great because it will be easier for me to install them since I can squish them right up by myself.

So....are OEM shocks progressive, and if so, is easy compression standard? Or should I be heading up to my dealer to get some new OEM rears?

Thanks,
Jen

Old 05-14-2018, 10:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty much normal for OEM shocks. I put Monroe load adjusting shocks with springs on the rear of my last f150. This was primarily because I tow a travel trailer but they actually ride better than my OEMs. And yes I was able to pull and push mine in and out easily as well.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:23 AM
Excellent, thanks Tuckr2!

Old 06-15-2018, 07:36 PM
Fords have always been a little notorious for a rough rear on sharp hits. This comes from the choice of running one shock forward and one back to help locate and restrict movement of the rear axle. Not a problem just a bug of the design and will still be there with the new shocks. I lowered my 17 3” front and 4” rear and intentionally changed rear shock strength to help this issue. The shorter shocks sit at a slightly flatter relationship to vertical which decreases dampening slightly and the shocks are a bit softer. This has really helped overall ride quality but the truck still tows my small travel trailer with no detrimental or noticeable control issues

Old 06-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I like the rough ride. It's a truck.

I wish it would ride rougher. lol

Quick Reply: Progressive stock shocks?