2015 - 2020 F-150

bump, thump or lurch forward on startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still have the issue at times. I find it happens more frequently depending on how the truck is parked. The service manager where I purchased the truck says he forwarded the issue to the engineers, but I have heard nothing. The service manager did admit he felt it and he also felt it on a 2018. With the recall of the 2018 models with the shifter cable it kinda makes me wonder if the issue is on all 10spd transmissions. Thanks for the post and good luck. Seems most times I take my truck in for perceived issues they are normal at least to ford.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the reply and latest on your truck. When mine is taken in and a resolution or explanation results I'll post it. I agree on all the 10sp 2017 models based on this recall:
(there is a bulletin out for a trans cable clip)
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...y-recalls.html
Strange the recall wouldn't cover my truck as it was built June 11/2017 at Kansas City Assembly Plant which falls in the date range of the recall other than being a 2017 rather than 2018 model...
Doesn't seem like "normal operation" when compared to any other auto trans I've worked on or driven in the last 34 yrs either.

Old 09-22-2022, 10:24 PM
Any discovery on this?

Originally Posted by F150XLTCS
Thanks for the reply and latest on your truck. When mine is taken in and a resolution or explanation results I'll post it. I agree on all the 10sp 2017 models based on this recall:
(there is a bulletin out for a trans cable clip)
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...y-recalls.html
Strange the recall wouldn't cover my truck as it was built June 11/2017 at Kansas City Assembly Plant which falls in the date range of the recall other than being a 2017 rather than 2018 model...
Doesn't seem like "normal operation" when compared to any other auto trans I've worked on or driven in the last 34 yrs either.
Did you ever get this figured out? I don’t think it’s a big issue but my 2002 Expedition does this on occasion. Like most state (on this forum and other) it seems to happen when parked on even surface and been sitting for a day or more.
I believe whatever is engaged, to make it move, is only for a slit second and then releases. I would be curious to try this in neutral to see just how much the vehicle would actually move forward. Since it’s in park it literally jumps forward just enough to see some movement but then releases and the vehicle moves back to where it was. I don’t think the tires even roll more than a half inch. Of course when what ever is happening can move a five thousand pound vehicle forward any amount, there is something engaged for sure.

Quick Reply: bump, thump or lurch forward on startup