2015 - 2020 F-150

2.7L EB, 3.5L EB, or 5.0L Reliability and Gas Mileage for 2018?

Old 12-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.7L EB, 3.5L EB, or 5.0L Reliability and Gas Mileage for 2018?

I'm within 3-6 months of ordering a 2018 SuperCrew 4x4 that I'll use for a daily driver as well as occasionally pull trailers up to 5,000 pounds.

I'm also very much at a dilemma as to which engine to get with this new truck, the 2.7L EcoBoost, 3.5L EcoBoost, or 5.0L V-8? For me, reliability and fuel mileage are both the top considerations regarding engine selection. I'm worried if I get either of the EcoBoost engines, that it will be plagued with problems and TSBs and will mean numerous trips to the dealer for service, both in and out of warranty. I'm also concerned about the long term reliability of the turbo engines as I typically keep my vehicles for 15 or so years before trading, accumulating 200k or more miles on them.

My current F-150 is a 1999 model SuperCab with the 5.4L V-8 in it and I'm only averaging 15-16 MPG in this vehicle. I would like my new truck to get around 20 or more MPG, on my 95% highway miles weekly commute, if possible.

Any first-hand experiences or suggestions from the group on reliability and real world fuel mileage for these motors?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go drive all of them and see which one tickles yer fancy. Then see which one has the best deals when you're ready to buy. The 3.5 and 5.0 have both been proven to be very reliable. I think the 2.7 had some issues early on but should be resolved by now.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:29 PM
I've drove a 3.5L EcoBoost in a 2017 Expedition and was impressed with it's peppiness. I'm really concerned about reliability and gas mileage most of all. I'm sure any of the three I'm looking at would smoke the tires off my nearly 20 year old 5.4L Triton.

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Seems like you have already drawn your own conclusions about the engine choices. I'm sure that on average the 5.0 will be the most reliable and the 2.7 eco will be the best on gas. Choose your poison.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:45 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
You sound like a person that likes to keep things simple. For that reason, the 5.0 is made just for you. Far less technology needed to keep it running. Many of the 5.0 owners are getting over the 20 mpgs with the 3.31 axle. The 5.0 should have no problems pulling your load. The 2017 5.0 with the 3.31 axle in a 4x4 Supercrew is rated at 8900lbs towing. EPA shows to be 16 town, 22 hiway, and 18 combined fuel mileage with the 2018 4x4 Supercrew 5.0.

Last edited by Labnerd; 12-04-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:13 AM
I too am in the position to purchase a new 2018 sometime early next spring and am having the exact same thoughts as the first poster with my primary focus being on reliability and fuel economy - not hauling power. Obviously, the 5.0 L V8 is the simpler of all engine choices and is likely the most reliable. However, I am swayed by greed and would love to squeak out a few extra MPG with the Ecoboost. I have found plenty of online criticism of the early Ecoboost models, but little if any criticism of the latest Ecoboost models from 2016-2017. There is little to practically no online criticism of the new 2018 2.7 L Ecoboost which also features dual direct and port injection which from my understanding should also boost longevity and reliability. I recently saw a Youtube Video featuring a group of Ford Mechanics at a US dealership. The interviewer asked each of them which F150 they would buy, and each responded confidently with the 5.0L V8 for reliability and ease of repairs. Nonetheless, I have to assume that Ford engineers have put a lot of time and effort into the Ecoboost engines and are confident in their long term reliability. Moreover, they have been around for enough time now that I would also assume that they have ironed out most of the problems. I am leaning towards the 2.7 L Ecoboost but would appreciate any feedback beyond which has already been posted.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:59 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
I don't think there's going to be a significant real-world gas mileage difference between all 3 engines, but I may be wrong.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by misc9700
... In I recently saw a Youtube Video featuring a group of Ford Mechanics at a US dealership. The interviewer asked each of them which F150 they would buy, and each responded confidently with the 5.0L V8 for reliability and ease of repairs...
I too watched that video. Those "techs" were a bunch of mouth breathing morons. From what I remember, one even though the Coyote 5.0 was based on the old Windsor 5.0...

There's a reason why so many guys on here get mad when the dealership can't fix a vehicle properly on the first visit. I doubt most of those clowns could fix a sandwich let alone a modern vehicle.

The Coyote is a fine engine but to call it simple is just not true. A variable cam, DOHC V8, with multiple fuel systems is not simple at all. On the first generation 3.5 vs 5.0 the number of electronic sensors was almost the exact same, with the 3.5 using a couple (2-3) more but much simpler and cheaper to replace. The head design of the 3.5 is much simpler than the 5.0. The turbo system is mostly a bunch of pipes and hoses. It looks scary at first glance but once you really dig into how it works it's pretty simple. You might read about turbos being replaced on the early trucks but that's because 1. the techs at Ford didn't seem to understand the system and would throw parts at them and 2. the turbos were being sold as a complete assembly only. That has changed and now the components are available separately. The Borg Warner K03s that are used are probably the most common OEM turbo on the market and are extremely solid.

Both are extremely reliable but of course with any mass produced machine there have been a few failures, that's what warranties are for. Buy the truck that has the best price and makes you smile, the reliability between them is a wash. One other thing to consider, there's a diesel on the horizon for the F150 too. It should be available about the time you're ready to buy.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Appreciate the knowledgeable feedback Wookie. Like most have said, ALL are great engines. Like you said, there is the odd lemon. I just don't want to get that lemon.

Any more feedback from others is still welcome!

Old 12-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by misc9700
I am leaning towards the 2.7 L Ecoboost but would appreciate any feedback beyond which has already been posted.
All other things being equal, I would also like to lean towards the 2.7L EcoBoost for gas mileage sake. I think each of those engines are very capable for the occasional towing (3-4X/year) that I would do given the fact that the new 10 speed transmission has a lower 1st and 2nd gears. I am concerned about the long term reliabilities of the EcoBoost motors due to the additional plumbing, heat, and breakdown stress it puts on the oil. Any other real world reliability experience on the recent model 2.7L and 3.5L EcoBoost motors that anyone could share would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2017, 04:58 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
I would also like to lean towards the 2.7L EcoBoost for gas mileage sake.
Real world, I don't think the difference is going to be much.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The 2.7 would be the absolute last choice if I were buying a new F150. It didn't come out with great reviews and there were a lot of issues with it. Maybe they've worked thru them, then again, maybe not. The biggest issue with the engine is that it rarely will hit the advertised fuel mileage. I'm sure there are a few that can hit the EPA rating but overall, the 2.7 has a hard time busting the 20 mpg mark at any speed, and frankly, in any platform including cars. If you need the power, the 3.5 EB is a much better choice and it does great on gas mileage, considering. If you tow occasionally and are not in any kind of a hurry, the standard base 3.3 engine can do the job with a 3.73 axle. In a Supercrew 2 wd, the trailer tow is rated at 7900lbs.But, I don't think you get the 10 speed automatic with the base engine, the 6 speed only. Might wanna read this article on the 2.7.
https://jalopnik.com/the-ford-f-150-...-sa-1678282081

Old 12-07-2017, 01:49 PM
I traded a 2017 Super Duty for a new 2018 F-150 Platinum FX4 last week. It has a 3.5L Ecoboost , 10 speed transmission with 3.55:1 gear ratio and a 38 gallong fuel tank. I'm still on the original tank of fuel and according to the "Miles To E" I've got over 400 mile more to go. I'll know what MPG at the first fill-up. The only thing I'm not very fond of is the Automatic Stop/Start feature. I just have to remember to turn it off every time I start the truck.

Last edited by silvercreek; 12-10-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:12 PM
Since retirement almost a year ago I now have a part time gig delivering vehicles for the local Ford dealer. I've driven just about all configurations and trim levels of the 2017 & 2018 F150's. Granted they are all new trucks with no miles but the trips are usually 300 miles or less so one gets a good feel for how they stack up - nothing scientific just the ole seat of the pants dyno.

This dealership doesn't sell many 5.0 models but the ones I have driven are pretty predictable, nice v8 sound with plenty of pep and an average mpg for a big truck. The 5.0 is tried and true and if you are into modding the engine it would be your best bet.

The 3.5 Eco, especially for 2018 is pretty impressive both in power and mpg compared to the old 5.4 or even previous versions of the Eco. The new ten speed is not really noticeable until driving in stop and go traffic, for some reason is seems to shift hard at times in the lower gears. Not sure what the national figures are but just talking to the guys in the shop they have had little or no issues with the 2017 3.5 Eco's. For pulling a trailer or hauling this would be my choice even though the 5.0 is about as capable.

I've only driven two of the 2.7's and if I was to only use as a highway truck not pulling anything this would be my choice. A little sluggish compared to the other two in city traffic but when you need to get on the freeway it definitely gets with the program. 300 miles at interstate speed it really out performed the other two in the mpg department.

Each power-plant has their own following and this is just my opinion as someone who has had the chance to put a fair amount of windshield time in each. I love my 05 even with the crappy 5.4 but the more I drive these new ones it may be time to trade.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:00 AM
Great posts "Dog'em" (and others). I appreciate the real world experience in all three power-trains. Still leaning towards the 2.7L. From what I can tell, early issues with this engine have been fixed.

Search this Thread