F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2015 - 2020 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2015-2020-f-150-136/)
-   -   How long before we see an EV F-150? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2015-2020-f-150/515674-how-long-before-we-see-ev-f-150-a.html)

Johnny Mayday 10-10-2017 10:30 PM

How long before we see an EV F-150?

We all know it's coming at some point, I just wonder when we're going to see it. And this report made me think we might see it sooner rather than later. Check out this line: " Ford plans to take $7 billion away from car development and place it directly into truck and SUV development." I don't know about you, but that caught me by surprise. I mean, they're going to have to start making EV trucks at some point, if only to make the always increasing CO2 targets. What do you think? How long before there's an electric F-150?

Labnerd 10-11-2017 11:09 PM

I don't see it happening. Jeez, look what it takes to get someone to actually change their oil per owners manual. I wonder how many are still changing at 3000 miles? Changing to an EV in a truck- nope, don't see it at all. Old habits are hard to break. Now a diesel electric, that might work but the powers that be do not have the battery technology to make one tow and go very far. There are little things like water cooled electric motors that will have to be modified for this use. Do you really think the public is ready for all of that maintenance? Just think of the additional plumbing required and yet another cooling system to contend with. And you still have an engine under the hood that will be running close to wide open most of the time to keep up. GM tried it in a Silverado. They couldn't give them away. There's a lesson to be learned there but I doubt in todays politic BS anybody pays much attention anymore. Kinda reminds me why we have all of these statues of our Civil War heroes. They are there to remind us of why they fought so we aren't doomed to repeat the same thing over and over again. But apparently we don't care so yeah, I can now see I was wrong. There probably will be EV pickups sitting on the lots.....keyword sitting.

joe t. 10-12-2017 09:26 AM

Would be great for a lot of fleet operations.

Wookie 10-12-2017 10:49 AM

GM already did this as mandated by the obummer regime, the end result sucked monkey ballz. The battery backs and electric motors are up most of the available payload so you were left with a full sized truck with the cargo capacity of a small car. The electric range was laughable and then the powered mileage was worse than a conventional truck because of the extra (now useless) weight they were carrying around.

The turds languished on dealer lots till they were given away or put into government service. I do see the FAA guys still driving them around from time to time.

Johnny Mayday 10-12-2017 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wookie (Post 5224726)
GM already did this as mandated by the obummer regime, the end result sucked monkey ballz. The battery backs and electric motors are up most of the available payload so you were left with a full sized truck with the cargo capacity of a small car. The electric range was laughable and then the powered mileage was worse than a conventional truck because of the extra (now useless) weight they were carrying around.

The turds languished on dealer lots till they were given away or put into government service. I do see the FAA guys still driving them around from time to time.

I think a skateboard platform like Tesla is using could solve a lot of the payload problems... And as for fleet ops, that could be great, and you could even make beds and cabs super easy to swap, so you'd actually need fewer vehicles for different jobs.

joe t. 10-12-2017 10:34 PM

I think the problem with EV trucks is capacity of the motors and batteries. A car with little standard load doesn't need extra capacity, which is a downside of the inefficient internal combustion engine.

They would need to develop new technology for trucks.

Cliffnotes: drive your truck to work every weekday getting 15mpg and hook up your boat on Saturday and get 10mpg. Same EV truck would probably always get the equivalent of 10mpg and be maxed out pulling your boat.

Hauling around a couple hundred pounds of fuel and getting varying degrees of output is the benefit of internal combustion power plants.

If I am right technology will catch up eventually and you will see more EV trucks. It is why I mentioned fleets being a good candidate for now.