2015 - 2020 F-150

Android Auto Capabilities

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Android Auto Capabilities

I currently drive an '11 FX2. I'm planning on pickup up an '18 Lariat next spring.

Earlier this year, I rented a Hyundai on a trip down south. It had Android Auto installed. I synced my phone, downloaded AA from the Play Store and loved the interface. Google maps showed up on the car's radio display. All-in-all, pretty impressive.

Skip forward six months...

I was in a friend's rental Explorer yesterday. I assume it was a '17, but I'm not sure. I saw that it had AA installed. I synced my phone (Nexus 6) and opened AA on the phone.

It connected and showed Nexus 6 on the radio display.

When I opened Google Maps, I had no added functionality. The radio display showed nothing new. I still needed to look at my phone for directions and also use the phone's touch screen to input the destination.

Am I missing something? I was synced via BT. I was plugged in to one of the USB ports in the console.

I was really looking forward to AA in my new truck, but this experience was disappointing.

Can anyone here comment and let me know if I did something wrong?

Old 09-09-2017, 12:55 PM
It depends on the version of Sync that he had. Sounds like you did everything right, but if he has an older version of Sync, Android auto won't work like it did in the Hyundai.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:43 AM
So if all is working properly on the current version of Sync then I should expect AA to show apps on my vehicles radio touch screen? This is pretty important for me in my new truck. I'm also considering the upgraded B&O infotainment system. Does this impact on AA functionality?

Old 09-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by PitCritter
So if all is working properly on the current version of Sync then I should expect AA to show apps on my vehicles radio touch screen? This is pretty important for me in my new truck. I'm also considering the upgraded B&O infotainment system. Does this impact on AA functionality?
If Sync is up to date, AA should work fine. I would assume your friend's Explorer is not up to date. AA works fine with the 2018 F150, there's been some demos and YouTube videos about it.

The B&O upgrade has nothing to do with Sync 3.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:57 AM
That's great news. Thanks, I'll look for videos on YouTube.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:34 PM
I have a brand new 2017 F-150, and it has sync3. I believe there is also just a sync version as well. Android Auto works with all functions in my truck with sync3, so I assume that your buddies Exploder had the regular sync.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:30 PM
To the OP. You should have no problem hooking your Android phone up to a new Ford Truck. I've used the Android Auto app on my 2018 XLT, and it works like a CHARM !

Good luck with your purchase.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by PitCritter
I currently drive an '11 FX2. I'm planning on pickup up an '18 Lariat next spring.

Earlier this year, I rented a Hyundai on a trip down south. It had Android Auto installed. I synced my phone, downloaded AA from the Play Store and loved the interface. Google maps showed up on the car's radio display. All-in-all, pretty impressive.

Skip forward six months...

I was in a friend's rental Explorer yesterday. I assume it was a '17, but I'm not sure. I saw that it had AA installed. I synced my phone (Nexus 6) and opened AA on the phone.

It connected and showed Nexus 6 on the radio display.

When I opened Google Maps, I had no added functionality. The radio display showed nothing new. I still needed to look at my phone for directions and also use the phone's touch screen to input the destination.

Am I missing something? I was synced via BT. I was plugged in to one of the USB ports in the console.

I was really looking forward to AA in my new truck, but this experience was disappointing.

Can anyone here comment and let me know if I did something wrong?
Time to upgrade your phone as well.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Works awesome on my 2017 F150, I wish it worked via Bluetooth which I hear is coming soon.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Dr.Nafario
Works awesome on my 2017 F150, I wish it worked via Bluetooth which I hear is coming soon.
Not soon enough. I'd use Android Auto more often if it didn't require you to cable your phone. Very inconvenient.