2015 - 2020 F-150

Plug and Play Kicker F-150 (2015 & up) upgrade Kit??

Old 07-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plug and Play Kicker F-150 (2015 & up) upgrade Kit??

Hello all, anyone have insight on this upgrade kit made by Kicker for our 2015 and up F-150? Moderators, I put this in the 2015 & up forum as it pertains to the newer systems. Feel free to move to the Amp /Speakers section but I did want my fellow 2015 & up owners to see it before you do...thx!!

Kicker PF150SC15 VSS PowerStage

I was checking it out at Crutchfield and it sure is tempting to be able to do a plug and play upgrade w/o all the re-wiring, etc. headaches of rebuilding the system using various components. This kit looks to contain the following and mounts in the existing sub location (behind NOT under seat). This kit is tuned for the stock door speakers. but I'd probably replace them anyways...

Package includes:
- digital signal processor with built-in 4-channel amplifier
processor features pre-set high-pass filters, EQs, and speaker time
alignment
- amplifier: 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
- vehicle-specific harness connects processor to factory stereo
- VSS Substage custom-fit powered subwoofer
- molded plastic enclosure fits under rear seat
- 8" round subwoofer
- 200 watts RMS sub amp
- all power and signal wiring pre-cut and terminated, ready for installation
custom-engineered processor/amp mounting bracket
illustrated installation and setup instructions
warranty: 1 year

To clarify, I'm wanting to upgrade from the Sony system, retain all of the factory head unit functionality, not in High School anymore so I don't need to be heard 4 blocks away, but do want to be able to turn it up on occasion w/o all the distortion the Sony system now has. Thoughts?

Never mind, upon further research...it appears this kit will NOT work on the Sony "Premium" sound system equipped F-150's...bummer...

Last edited by HotLap; 07-18-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
HotLap, kicker now includes a bracket that relocates the sony amp so you can install the soundstage sub where the sony sub sits now. They include it on the sub only system.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
HotLap, kicker now includes a bracket that relocates the sony amp so you can install the soundstage sub where the sony sub sits now. They include it on the sub only system.
05RedFX, thanks for the heads up. my thoughts were to go ahead with the Kicker sub system replacement and do the door speakers as well. I know the door speakers will only be a slight improvement over factory speakers (until I figure out how to add a 4 channel amp) to increase power. Does anyone know if any of the aftermarket folks are working on a kit that will be compatible with our Sony systems? The Sony system really is lacking at this point....

Old 07-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It sucks that ford forces you to have the inferior sony amp when you want the best head unit ford has to offer. When I upgraded my 13, I had to pull out the front and rear seats, center console, and carpet to gain access to the wiring on the sony amp, as ford decided to put it under the center console. At least you have everything on the back wall. Here is what I did, it may help in your endeavor.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sp...-upgrades.html

You could always just get two small compact two channel amps that use speaker level inputs and splice them into the sony outputs and get the cheaper kicker setup (the SF one is sub only and gets the bracket) and call it a day.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
It sucks that ford forces you to have the inferior sony amp when you want the best head unit ford has to offer. When I upgraded my 13, I had to pull out the front and rear seats, center console, and carpet to gain access to the wiring on the sony amp, as ford decided to put it under the center console. At least you have everything on the back wall. Here is what I did, it may help in your endeavor.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sp...-upgrades.html

You could always just get two small compact two channel amps that use speaker level inputs and splice them into the sony outputs and get the cheaper kicker setup (the SF one is sub only and gets the bracket) and call it a day.
05RedFX4. thanks for the constructive feedback. I will definitely consider your suggestion as I did a road trip late last week (600 miles) and the lack of quality tunes was a bummer. Appreciate the feedback!

Old 08-08-2016, 04:03 PM
quick update on my 2016 KR quest fo rbetter tunes.

1) Kicker Sub/amp kit installed. This was a worthwhile upgrade (IMO) and sounds much better than the stock Sony sub. However, it really makes it obvious how weak the rest of the system sounds.

2) Kicker 5 speaker kit installed (6x9 coaxial front doors, 3.5" coax center dash speaker and 6 1/2" Kicker coaxial in the rear doors. The 5 speaker kit cost $244.00 and rather than try and reuse the stock Ford speaker mounting brackets I ordered the Metra brackets for the 2015 - 2016 speaker upgrade. Inexpensive and definitely better than mounting the new speakers to directly to the door frame.

Still can tell I need a stronger amp for the doors/dash but the improvement in sound is fairly significant...especially the 6x9's in front doors! Stock Sony "Premium" speakers are cheap plastic, single cone rated at an amazing 25 watts....weak, very weak

Old 08-16-2016, 11:09 AM
Have you tried contacting Kicker or Crutchfield by e-mail regarding a 2015+ Ford plug and play amp for the speakers ? The Kicker kit I installed in my 2010 had a 200w amp to power the door speakers that plugged into factory harness and bolted up and out of way above the parking brake. The additional 50w per channel definitely help the door speakers keep up with the sub. I would be really disappointed if Kicker stopped making this system for the 2015+ trucks as it will be one of my first upgrades for my new truck.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:55 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Ive seen this for the 2009-2014 trucks as well. Even sold through Ford (with a Ford P/N) believe it or not.

Funny all you guys slamming the "premium" sound equipment. I went from all stock low level 2014 STX Sport, to "premium" front door and tweeters, as well as added a factory Sony sub, it sounds pretty good for the low cost investment.

Do I wish i had more sound and more quality, sure, but for less than 200 ive got in it. I can't complain at all!

I've thought about picking up the kicker set, but wasnt sure it would play nice with my "base model" truck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plug and Play Kicker F-150 (2015 & up) upgrade Kit??