2015 - 2020 F-150

Sunroof Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That spray does seem pretty strong - I'm not sure I would expect the seal to work 100% with that much water. I don't know what the F150 design is like, but typically a sunroof will have a rubber seal and also a gutter and drain to catch any water that gets through. I would think that your sunroof has to have a gutter, since at highway speed, the difference in air pressure would likely pull in some water, even in light rain.

But of course the water shouldn't get inside the cabin. If that happens, then I'd have to think either the drain is blocked or perhaps the gutter isn't wide enough to catch all the water. That is, if you had a forceful spray that came through the seal at an angle, maybe it can shoot past the gutter - just speculating.

I guess if it were me, I'd check it after every rain to see if water is getting in under normal conditions. If it isn't, I'd let it go; and if it is, well then I guess you try again with the dealership.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by leikos
That spray does seem pretty strong - I'm not sure I would expect the seal to work 100% with that much water. I don't know what the F150 design is like, but typically a sunroof will have a rubber seal and also a gutter and drain to catch any water that gets through. I would think that your sunroof has to have a gutter, since at highway speed, the difference in air pressure would likely pull in some water, even in light rain.

But of course the water shouldn't get inside the cabin. If that happens, then I'd have to think either the drain is blocked or perhaps the gutter isn't wide enough to catch all the water. That is, if you had a forceful spray that came through the seal at an angle, maybe it can shoot past the gutter - just speculating.

I guess if it were me, I'd check it after every rain to see if water is getting in under normal conditions. If it isn't, I'd let it go; and if it is, well then I guess you try again with the dealership.

This has happened under a car wash, a water hose with a nozzle and a water hose with just normal faucet pressure...

Old 08-27-2015, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by HessFx4
This has happened under a car wash, a water hose with a nozzle and a water hose with just normal faucet pressure...
I think that's the video you need to show Ford then. It's normal to have some water come through in the other situations, imo.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Yea I have an open case with Ford right now, my truck is just sitting at the dealership now with nothing being done with it and The dealership is saying there hands are tied and ford is saying they'll call me back tomorrow... A big cluster

Old 08-28-2015, 10:13 AM
I am to the point now where I don't even want this truck anymore just because of the way I have been treated by Ford directly!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am to the point now where I don't even want this truck anymore just because of the way I have been treated by Ford directly!
Ford or the dealer?

Old 08-28-2015, 03:46 PM
Crap - I ordered the single panel sunroof in my SCab. I hope I don't see the same as you HessFX4.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Ford or the dealer?
Ford

They finally decided to replace the sunroof, it's going to take 4-5 days to come In So I am going to pick up my truck tonight then take it back in once the glass arrives.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford

They finally decided to replace the sunroof, it's going to take 4-5 days to come In So I am going to pick up my truck tonight then take it back in once the glass arrives.
Glad they finally decided to replace it. Hopefully that fixes it for you.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:16 AM
I hope this isn't a wide spread issue. I haven't actually washed my truck yet to see if it leaks. I use waterless wash when it's not real dirty so I have done that a couple of times. I guess I will know soon enough!

Old 08-31-2015, 11:15 PM
Shoot!, I just ordered super crew with panoramic roof too.

Keep us posted!

Old 09-20-2015, 11:31 AM
The sunroof leaks because the truck is aluminum?

My greatest fear of getting into an american car is the shear amount of BS I'm going to have to endure from the dealerships.
Yea you got to love them ford dealership service depts... NOT

If the Aluminum is causing the leak then we need to trade our trucks back for the steel one. I am on the verge of doing so...

I must say though my roof does not leak at all. Been through car washes and all nothing. I hope your dealer gets a clue... One major fail of ford is the dealerships IMHO.

My wife has own several Honda's with sunroofs Civic, Accord and CRV and never ever a leak not even one drop. So any water getting on at all is a failure with the install or design.

Last edited by kendive; 09-20-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:48 PM
Well, he never posted back so I guess the seal was fixed and hess no longer hates his truck.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Well, he never posted back so I guess the seal was fixed and hess no longer hates his truck.
I would hope so...

Old 09-23-2015, 12:49 AM
My wife took my f150 Eco-boost through the car wash and the roof leaked also.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Issue!