2015 - 2020 F-150

Biased Reporting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biased Reporting?

Is anyone else annoyed at the series of choices and the probable reasons behind them, that led the powers that be to crash test the new F150 months before the other truck manufacturers, and suddenly there is a new test included that has never been used before?

The SuperCrew passed with flying colors on all tests, but in the new one, the Super Cab didn't do as well, due to a part that is found only on the SuperCrew, but will now be added to all models for 2016.

So let me ask the question, with this info in hand, will the other manufacturers quietly make some running changes before submitting their trucks to testing? Then crow about their results in every ad?

Old 08-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another fine test from the IIHS, a group that revels in coming up with new tests to cover outlier situations that only work in a vacuum.

This group's entire mission is to come up with new ways to raise your insurance rates in the name of safety. The "test" the F150 failed was a high speed, High offset collision. Or in the off chance a vehicle would be going fast and just barely clip a completely solid object. The IIHS says they will only test the most popular body style when several body styles are sold. But when they noticed the high volume and therefore tested SuperCrew had a brace the other trucks didn't have they wanted to test it too. Auto makers have been doing things like this for years to pass these silly, arbitrary tests. Toyota has been caught rigging tests for some time too.

The sooner the IIHS goes away the better our cars will be

Old 08-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it works both ways. Engineering had to know about the new test otherwise why bother adding anything different on a per cab configuration?

Old 08-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by wolverine08
I think it works both ways. Engineering had to know about the new test otherwise why bother adding anything different on a per cab configuration?
That's the issue. They knew the test would be done on the most popular configuration of the vehicle per the IIHS standards. The IIHS pulled a fast one and changed the test after the standard was established without informing Ford.

It's not just Ford that designs cars to pass these absurd tests. A lot of cars have more structure on the drivers side because that's the only side the IIHS ever tests. They also base their entire safety assessment on a few tests that do not truly determine how safe a car is or how it acts in the real world. Look at the Government crash ratings and ignore the IIHS. The .gov tests actually account for a much broader and truer representation of a vehicle's safety.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure that's true. The IIHS works for the insurance industry, so it's in their interest to provide accurate data and to run tests that best recreate real-world accidents. That's why their tests are more stringent and why they change them up more often.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Hereford F150

So let me ask the question, with this info in hand, will the other manufacturers quietly make some running changes before submitting their trucks to testing? Then crow about their results in every ad?
This very well may happen. The IIHS tested 2015 F-150 extended cabs, but will only test 2016 GM and Ram extended cabs for comparison.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by leikos
I'm not sure that's true. The IIHS works for the insurance industry, so it's in their interest to provide accurate data and to run tests that best recreate real-world accidents. That's why their tests are more stringent and why they change them up more often.
What do vehicles hit more often, other vehicles or unmovable concrete objects on the side of the road? In the IIHS tests a bigger vehicle has a much harder time passing a test than a small one due to the weight difference. Now, when you're driving down the highway and are faced with the proposal of hitting another vehicle which would rather be in, a Supercab F150 or a Sonic? Give me the F150 every day and twice on Sunday! In the IIHS test the Sonic would be the safer vehicle.

The IIHS exists to raise insurance rates not to make cars safer.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The IIHS works for the insurance industry.
Exactly, that's why the results are skewed and favor whomever is paying the bill. Since the insurance companies are paying, the results are gonna show whatever the insurance companies want them to.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:45 PM
I see we're headed out into conspiracy territory - this is where I get off.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:04 PM
I see we're headed out into conspiracy territory - this is where I get off.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:15 PM
Former Sponsor
When the vehicle you are interested in is being bad mouthed, it seems every media outlet you come across is pushing the story, but when a competing vehicle has some negative press, it seems as if it is pushed under the rug

The main thing I find sketchy is that the 2015 extended cabs from GM & Ram are not tested to correspond with the 2015 SuperCab. If you are looking to point out the discrepancies between cab configurations, don't give the other brands an advantage of fixing a previously undetected wrong (for fairness).

To be honest, every variation of base trim should be tested. Coupes, sedans & wagons/hatchback for cars and regular, extended & crew cabs for trucks. Both 2 door and 4 door Wrangler need to be evaluated separately. Regular and extended length SUVs also need separate testing (uplevels shouldn't have structural differences).

Old 08-03-2015, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Another fine test from the IIHS, a group that revels in coming up with new tests to cover outlier situations that only work in a vacuum.

This group's entire mission is to come up with new ways to raise your insurance rates in the name of safety. The "test" the F150 failed was a high speed, High offset collision. Or in the off chance a vehicle would be going fast and just barely clip a completely solid object. The IIHS says they will only test the most popular body style when several body styles are sold. But when they noticed the high volume and therefore tested SuperCrew had a brace the other trucks didn't have they wanted to test it too. Auto makers have been doing things like this for years to pass these silly, arbitrary tests. Toyota has been caught rigging tests for some time too.

The sooner the IIHS goes away the better our cars will be

Actually they call it the "small overlap" crash test. But you are saying close to the same thing, just in a different way.

And it was at 40 mph, which to me is not "high speed".

Last edited by Wild Bill; 08-03-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 PM
IIHS bias in reporting and comparisons have now been confirmed by Mike Levine. Ram has some 'splaining to do after they claimed all Rams are designed equally.

The facts now are all Rams are not all designed equally and Ram only puts the blockers on some 2015 Rams.

IIHS will not test 2015 Rams for small overlap like they did with Ford. This gives Ram time to put the blockers on all 2016 Rams.

In fact IIHS was planning to test 2015 GMs and 2015 Rams but backed out.

Last edited by Rambo; 08-03-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
IIHS bias in reporting and comparisons have now been confirmed by Mike Levine.
Bingo! This leads credence to the charges of bias. All man'fs knew about the test since 2012. Ram came out with a new model for 2013. GM for 2014. What was their excuse? Ford comes out with a new model for 2015 and Ford is the only company put on BLAST? Why? Because Ford made a truck from aluminum and this is supposed to be soooo controversial! Ford didn't put the blockers on all their trucks. But neither did GM or Ram. Does GM even have blockers. Ram only starting to put on blockers so I'd have to say GM has none. Nobody is against Ford being tested. But Ford was the first to take action on the blockers and they are the only one put on blast. Put all the trucks under the same microscope and then see where they fall. Not apples to oranges 2015 vs 2016 like they're doing.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:29 PM
^^^That's my take on it^^^. IIHS is simply looking for a way to charge more for insurance on the 2015 F-150 because it is aluminum alloy. I would say it isn't a stretch that the insurance company's want higher premiums until body shops are up to snuff on dealing with the new material.