2015 - 2020 F-150

Gear Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear Indicator

The gear indicator on my 2015 f150, the one on the left side by the tach will not light when gear selector is placed in drive. the indicator will light when manual is selected. Ideas?

Old 07-29-2015, 04:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Push up on the positive button once. That's how my 2014 works.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:43 PM
That's how the 15's work too.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:56 AM
WOW, thanks Patman and usedup2 , worked like a charm. Saved me a trip to the dealership. Great how this forum helps its members.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
bkool2323 ... Saved me a trip to the dealership. ...
Before heading to the dealership, you may also want to consider referencing the owner's manual. (ya, the info' is in there also).

(owner's manual) Don't have one ?
Owner's Manuals ««« -click-
» Select Your Year [ Choose One ]
» Select Your Make [ Choose One ]
» Select Your Model [ Choose One ]
»

Old 07-30-2015, 12:06 PM
thanks jDMJoe, I have the manual and did check it first. Could not find it, so I asked the question. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
bkool2323 ... I have the manual and did check it first. Could not find it, so I asked the question.
Understand. AND ... Things are sometimes difficult to find in the hardcopy anyway. Ergo, the suggestion of a digital, electronically searchable solution.

Especially since the answer while in the owner's manual is not intuitively obvious - PRS (Progressive Range Selection)
With the gearshift lever in drive (D), press the – button to activate PRS. The available and selected gears are indicated on the instrument cluster.
All available gears will display with the current gear indicated.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:22 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
This has GOT to be one of the most obscure, unintuitive, stupid, design "features" I've ever encountered. Why in bloody hell doesn't the gear selection and display simply revert to full automatic when the gear lever is returned to Drive?

And, I DO know how to "search" a digital document, but I doubt seriously that I would have thought of the appropriate search string. Of course, now that I know about this "feature", I found it right away. And, in reading carefully, it appears to act something like the old "Overdrive Lockout" button in the earlier trucks, except this one lets you lock out more than one of the high gears while still giving automatic shifting in the lower ranges. Personally, I think I'd prefer to be in Manual instead, but I see I was misunderstanding what was happening from the information that was discussed in the thread.

I'm really impressed that three of you knew about this. I've spent many hours studying my Owners Manual (both the paper and electronic versions) and I don't remember reading anything about it before now. And, had I read it, I doubt I would have understood it until now. I think the section could have been titled better.

- Jack

Old 07-31-2015, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
This has GOT to be one of the most obscure, unintuitive, stupid, design "features" I've ever encountered. Why in bloody hell doesn't the gear selection and display simply revert to full automatic when the gear lever is returned to Drive?

And, I DO know how to "search" a digital document, but I doubt seriously that I would have thought of the appropriate search string. Of course, now that I know about this "feature", I found it right away. And, in reading carefully, it appears to act something like the old "Overdrive Lockout" button in the earlier trucks, except this one lets you lock out more than one of the high gears while still giving automatic shifting in the lower ranges. Personally, I think I'd prefer to be in Manual instead, but I see I was misunderstanding what was happening from the information that was discussed in the thread.

I'm really impressed that three of you knew about this. I've spent many hours studying my Owners Manual (both the paper and electronic versions) and I don't remember reading anything about it before now. And, had I read it, I doubt I would have understood it until now. I think the section could have been titled better.

- Jack
I discovered it on my own when my numbers disappeared. More through blind luck...never got to the manual.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:48 AM
Me too. I bumped the button on the shifter and the gear selector popped up. Then, I inadvertently hit a different button and it disappeared again. Took a little trial and error to figure out what was turning it on and off, but I finally figured it out.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by usedup2
I discovered it on my own when my numbers disappeared. More through blind luck...never got to the manual.
Me too... but maybe we are smarter than some?

Old 08-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet

- Jack
I've wondered why there was no way to lock out Overdrive except in manual mode, because manual mode turns off the tow/haul feature. On hilly terrain, I would prefer locking out overdrive when towing an RV or cargo hauler. If I understand you correctly, this is possible when in tow/haul by using the manual selector buttons?

Old 08-02-2015, 06:17 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The 6R80 actually has 2 overdrives - 5th and 6th. 4th is not direct drive like 3rd was in the 4 speed.

4.17 2.34 1.52 1.14 0.86 0.69

Old 08-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can also push the rocker switch to lock out 1st and 2nd gear. This allows you to start moving in 3rd if you're on a slippery surface and want to limit the torque to the wheels.

Of course you 5.slow guys don't have to worry about limiting the torque.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:04 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Hereford F150
I've wondered why there was no way to lock out Overdrive except in manual mode, because manual mode turns off the tow/haul feature. On hilly terrain, I would prefer locking out overdrive when towing an RV or cargo hauler. If I understand you correctly, this is possible when in tow/haul by using the manual selector buttons?
Looks that way to me, but I have not tried it in Tow/Haul yet. One click of the "minus" button locks out 6th, another click locks out 5th, and so on.

As I said, that part in the manual does not seem to be titled very well. I'd call it "Gear Lockout" or something similar.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Gear Indicator