2015 - 2020 F-150

Bypass pro trailer back up assist set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bypass pro trailer back up assist set-up?

I can't set up my PTBA on my 2014 boat trailer because the surge actuator does not provide a good mounting area for the target sticker. I would like the convenience of backing up with the dash ****, but it would appear the only way you can use the function is if the target sticker is identified by the system. Is there any way to bypass this? I can't understand what benefit the target stickers even have other than preventing you from driving in reverse with the **** without the trailer.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:08 PM
I can't imagine there is a way to bypass this.

The point of the sticker is that the specific pattern on the sticker is programmed into the software. This allows the camera to detect the position and angle of the trailer.

Without the sticker the truck will not know where the trailer is located.

Can you glue/rivet/strap a piece of plexiglass onto the trailer tongue to stick on the target sticker?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Coincidently I set this up on rental trailer this past weekend using a piece of plastic with magnets. I have to admit that I thought the PTBA was for those lacking skill or experience, but I was wrong and I will now admit I'm a huge fan! The intelligence built into the system is very clever and the overall performance is impressive. I will make a bracket for my boat trailer to make it work.
My only gripe is that the system takes a few seconds to recognize the target sticker. I live on a busy street and waiting 5 seconds for the system to pick up the sticker while traffic is waiting for me to back in is not practical. Otherwise amazing system.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just temporarily affix it with some duct tape or something. This isnt rocket science...