2015 - 2020 F-150

The Land Rover Ford connection...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:37 AM
F150 Town Crier
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Land Rover Ford connection...

Given that Land Rovers are some of the most unreliable vehicles on the planet, I find it kind of odd that there'd be any connection between them and Fords. But there is one, in that Ford builds the 3.0 liter diesel for LR, and it'll build the diesel for the new F-150 at the same place. Something tells me that the F-150 will be slightly more dependable than anything the Brits build... Check out the whole story on the HP.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm gonna give it a 50% chance you'll see an F150 diesel. Since Ram is now being hammered with lawsuits that it's diesel isn't getting anything like the advertising in fuel mileage and that most of the current 3.5 EB engines almost met the Ram diesel real world mpgs, the diesel and cost of production isn't nearly as attractive as it once was.There are those in Detroit calling for no diesel BS in the F150. It's a very limited market to begin with. The life expectancy of the diesel is the most outstanding characteristic of a diesel. A properly maintained EB will go just as far and do it at far fewer dollars per mile than the diesel. There are NO power advantages between the two. In order to make the diesel emissions friendly, they have to reduce the compression ratio to about 17:1. That means less power per gallon vs a normal diesel design of 24:1 compression ratio. Frankly, while I was wanting one at one time, the EB engines have come into their own. I wouldn't want a diesel anymore when I can get a driver friendly gas engine that does the same job but at a cheaper cost per mile. A diesel in an F150, it will be a novelty at best.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:51 PM
F150 Town Crier
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
I'm gonna give it a 50% chance you'll see an F150 diesel. Since Ram is now being hammered with lawsuits that it's diesel isn't getting anything like the advertising in fuel mileage and that most of the current 3.5 EB engines almost met the Ram diesel real world mpgs, the diesel and cost of production isn't nearly as attractive as it once was.There are those in Detroit calling for no diesel BS in the F150. It's a very limited market to begin with. The life expectancy of the diesel is the most outstanding characteristic of a diesel. A properly maintained EB will go just as far and do it at far fewer dollars per mile than the diesel. There are NO power advantages between the two. In order to make the diesel emissions friendly, they have to reduce the compression ratio to about 17:1. That means less power per gallon vs a normal diesel design of 24:1 compression ratio. Frankly, while I was wanting one at one time, the EB engines have come into their own. I wouldn't want a diesel anymore when I can get a driver friendly gas engine that does the same job but at a cheaper cost per mile. A diesel in an F150, it will be a novelty at best.
You raise some good points... I still feel like they're a little too far along in the process to pull out now? But the climate for diesel really isn't as attractive as it once was. So that might make for some dramatic moves. If they do pull out of the diesel? I think that would be one of the last nails in its coffin here in the States.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
I still feel like they're a little too far along in the process to pull out now?
As long as they haven't started actually building them, it's not too late. Given Ford's history they could even pull out after the pre-production prototypes were built.
Here in Cleveland ford built a all new aluminum foundry, building and all only to shut it down three years after it opened.

Markets change, demand changes. The only thing that is constant is change.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 07-14-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:16 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I can do ya one better than that. I bought a Bronco that came factory with the 6.9 International Diesel engine. My BIL at the time was sales manager at one of the large Ford dealers and told me they just got the truck in. I looked at it and signed the paperwork. He called me right at 5PM to bring the truck back. Ford made the Broncos with the diesel but then decided they were not going to sell them. I owned one for about 4 hours. So no, it's not too late. The F150 was scheduled for a diesel previously all the way to Navistar making the engine but Ford backed out of the deal. There was a big lawsuit and Ford ended up putting the 4.5 Powerstroke in the medium series trucks. But it never saw the intended F150 platform.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They already have the small diesel in the Transit vans.

I like the ecoboost though.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
This exactly! I too wanted a diesel F150 back in 2009ish. I picked up an Ecoboost and never looked back.

​​​​​​Up until a year or so ago VW owned the small diesel engine market in the US. Now they don't even offer one because the diesel fuel we have is garage and the emissions are unmeetable. It's just not worth the trouble. If the market leader bails on something you know there's a problem. A diesel in the F150 would be stupid. The EB has 50 ft-lbmore torque and 100 more HP than the Ecodiesel that FCA can no longer sell. Why would you spend a couple thousand more dollars to have less power and not much better economy?!?

Old 07-16-2017, 11:47 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The Ram diesel is back in production.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/07...roduction.html

Old 07-22-2017, 10:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a '17 F150 EB 10-speed. Very addictive to sink into the throttle and have it push you well past the speed limit very quickly, set the cruise at a reasonable speed and watch the mpg's settle in above the 20 mark. Towed trailers a bunch this spring and it did not lack for power. A diesel will be hard sell.