2015 - 2020 F-150

Oil change rant

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by divot

I'm tempted to leave the shield off. Would probably help the air flow around the exhaust anyway. Can't believe it gives me 5 extra mpg.
Me either...probably closer to .5 mpg.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing the oil on a 2.7 is easy. Oil filter cartridge on top and the plastic drain plug is removed by hand.
Remove a few 8 mm screws for plate removal to access the plug.
If this is too hard then maybe you shouldn't be doing it.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You really don't save much money doing your own oil changes. I stopped doing mine 20 years ago. I go to a shop that lets me bring my own oil and filter, and he charges me $20 to change it and give it a lube job and full inspection.

It's not worth the hassle to me any more, plus these days you have to deal with legal disposal of the drain oil and old filter.
About 10 years ago I went to VIP to get the stuff to change the oil. I hadn't done it in years and had recently retired, so I thought, I'll tighten the belt and get back into this. After adding the stuff up on the counter I said, "Thanks, but I've changed my mind." At the time the stuff added up to $29. An oil change at a reputable garage was $24.95.

My new truck takes about 8 quarts. That's about $29 (walmart for motorcraft 5/20 Synth. oil). Then the $8 filter. That's $37. My Ford garage always has a $39 special and that includes themulticheck, fluid top offs, tire rotation, and lube. And sometimes there is a $10 rebate on that. Last one totaled $29. Not worth getting under the truck unless your a hobbyist.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:32 PM
2 factors you may not be considering - sales and workmanship.

Costco regularly runs the full synthetic oil on sale for about 10 bucks for 6 quarts. Add on a filter and you are still under $20.

And I don't trust anyone to do as good a job as I do. You just have more care when it is your own vehicle.

Yes, I know, many people will respond "ya but I found this great mechanic and trust him/her explicitly". OK, maybe if that mechanic is running a small garage you are OK. But anywhere else that has more than one mechanic (or even one mechanic and a high school kid working part time) then who do you think is doing the oil changes???
HINT - its not the mechanic with 30 years experience.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
2 factors you may not be considering - sales and workmanship.

Costco regularly runs the full synthetic oil on sale for about 10 bucks for 6 quarts. Add on a filter and you are still under $20.

And I don't trust anyone to do as good a job as I do. You just have more care when it is your own vehicle.

Yes, I know, many people will respond "ya but I found this great mechanic and trust him/her explicitly". OK, maybe if that mechanic is running a small garage you are OK. But anywhere else that has more than one mechanic (or even one mechanic and a high school kid working part time) then who do you think is doing the oil changes???
HINT - its not the mechanic with 30 years experience.

I have never seen synthetic oil in Costco at $10 for 6 qts. Walmart is far cheaper than Costco.
5 qt jug for $25 presently for Mobil 1 EP.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:13 PM
maybe its 10 bucks off for $15 a case?

Its been about 6 months since I bought any but its on sale about 2-3 times a year. Next time they put it on sale I'll try to pay better attention

Old 05-19-2017, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by divot
I have the 2.7L Ecoboost engine. the oil filter sits on top of the motor, and it takes a wierd filter, and a 1-1/16" socket to remove it. Have to change 3 o-rings each time.

The shield under the truck is the real hassle. Even up on ramps, it's not as easy as it should be, and I don't see any real benefit to the shield anyway. If you run over a piece of paper, I guess it would protect the steel oil pan, but hit anything significant and you're on the hook to replace a shield that I'm sure you can only get from Ford at 4 times markup.

I'm tempted to leave the shield off. Would probably help the air flow around the exhaust anyway. Can't believe it gives me 5 extra mpg.

May I suggest taking it to a Ford dealership for a semi-synthetic oil change and Motorcraft filter for about $34? My dealership sends me coupons all the time. I eat their donuts and drink their coffee while I wait. I'm usually out of there in less than an hour.

An oil change is not rocket science and I'm not worried about them doing it incorrectly. Drain oil, change filter, replace oil.

And no, I'm not worried they're putting in some off-brand oil while telling me they used MC Semi-Syn. If I was, I would buy the oil and filter myself and take it to my local Quickie Lube which charges $25 for labor with my supplied oil and filter and I watch them do it. $25 seems very fair for me to avoid getting on my back and doing all the labor, getting dirty and oily etc.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil change rant - update

OK, so a week ago or so, I contorted my old body under the truck (2.7 eco-boost), and removed the "protective" shield with only 3-4 swear words.

Decided to leave it off, to see how it affected my mileage.

Result? Not one bit of difference. So it's sitting in my garage and will stay there until I sell the truck.

Now I can change oil in about 10 minutes or so, and keep a happy face

But I still hate the oil filter...

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-22-2019, 07:07 PM
I'll never buy my wife another Escape for the same reason!.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:28 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Just buy a cheap battery operated screwdriver and the 15 screws come off fast. I've had to deal with filters that were torqued too much having to drive a screwdriver through them to get them to turn and stripped pan plugs on used cars I've bought. I'll do it myself with my power screwdriver.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:59 PM
i have a question while we're on the subject of frustrating oil changes. is there an easier way to change the small o ring on the oil filter housing? it took 3 people to change that pos. 2019 f150 2.7L V6.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why don’t you like the top loaded filter? The o-rings don't need to be replaced unless they get damaged and the cap o-ring takes a second to replace. Break the cap loose, slide under and remove the drain plug. Go have a beer or two, replace the drain plug, remove the old now drained oil filter and add oil. We cheered the day the manufacturers started going to top load filters.