2015 - 2020 F-150

Humming noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Humming noise at speed

Typically between 50 - 60 mph I get a low humming drone noise. It's it most prominent at 55mph. My first thought was tires as I recently had the POS hankooks replaced with some Michelin Defenders which at butter smooth. I took my truck back to discount and they rebalanced and rotated the tires to see if I can still here the humming. No dice...the low hum is still there and sounds like its from the rear of the truck. Any ideas before I take it to the dealer and have to argue with them about it being "by design"?

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-01-2016, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to have a similar issue, 2016 fx4 supercrew. I have not been able to diagnose it yet. Seems that I can feel a high speed vibration from the steering wheel. Did a rebalance work for you?

Old 07-02-2016, 02:56 AM
Have you by chance installed a leveling kit?

Old 07-05-2016, 01:29 PM
nope. 3k miles and stock.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:30 PM
There are others that seem to feel a gas petal vibration that I also have. I think these are related.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordin
Typically between 50 - 60 mph I get a low humming drone noise. It's it most prominent at 55mph. My first thought was tires as I recently had the POS hankooks replaced with some Michelin Defenders which at butter smooth. I took my truck back to discount and they rebalanced and rotated the tires to see if I can still here the humming. No dice...the low hum is still there and sounds like its from the rear of the truck. Any ideas before I take it to the dealer and have to argue with them about it being "by design"?
Is this on your 2015 F-150, fordin? Please send me a PM with your best contact number, current mileage, and servicing dealer; I'll see how I can help quiet that hum.

Originally Posted by rockfishon
I seem to have a similar issue, 2016 fx4 supercrew. I have not been able to diagnose it yet. Seems that I can feel a high speed vibration from the steering wheel. Did a rebalance work for you?
Hey rockfishon,

Have you taken your truck by the dealer? Please send over a PM with your full name, best contact number, VIN, updated mileage, and servicing dealer; let's get that vibration stopped.

Rachel

Old 07-06-2016, 04:45 PM
There have been quite a few people experiencing the issue as you describe. The culprit seems to be the transfer case.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by fordin
Hey fordin,

so were you lucky to fix this issue? I just took my 2016 to the dealer.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Fordin, Any chance discount can put the Hankooks back on so you can rule that out for sure? I have the Hankooks, and no hum. The Michelins might be your issue.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:32 AM
I took another look at my truck last night. I put the rear axle up on 2 floor jacks and put it in drive. I let the tires spin at idle and took some video's of the drive shaft and u-joints. The output shaft flange on the rear of the transfer case wobbles. This in turn causes the drive shaft to wobble which I am sure is the cause of my vibration. I will take this video to Ford on my next appointment.

Does anyone know what the tolerances should be on the output shaft/flange, drive shaft, and rear differential shaft/flange? Any ideas on what parts should Ford be replacing to fix this?

Old 12-20-2016, 03:30 PM
Hi, any update on this? I am having a similar issue with my 2015, but notice a humming/slight vibration at low speeds when I apply the brake and seems to only be when the truck is cold. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:01 PM
I have noticed a minor vibration on my 16' pretty much since new, but I figured it wasn't bad enough to get too excited for so I'd patiently see if it gets better. Now, with 6,200 miles it hasn't gotten any better, maybe a tad worse and I've pinpointed how to cause it. Mine happens when I let off the gas going at speeds above 45mph. It is felt mostly thru the steering wheel. And it is an audible (especially with the radio off) rotational vibration sound. Tip into the throttle and it goes away instantly. In other words, when the load or tension is taken off the drive line at speeds above 45 I get it. Put the drive line under load and it's gone. Like a bad u-joint, slip yoke etc. One of the post said transfer case? That makes sense for my concern. If I'm doing 55mph and let off the gas to coast/slow down for an upcoming stop sign etc. it does this and is very noticeable until the truck slows to around 45 when it gets faint enough to barely notice.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:40 AM
Over the last 4 months, my truck has been in the shop for a total of 21 days. They did the ring and pinion but that did not fix the issue. The last time in they used a Mastertech® Series MTS 4000 Driveline Balance and NVH Analyzer (Vetronix) 257-00018 tool to balance the driveshaft. This greatly helped with the vibration. I can still sense it but it is no longer as bothersome. I do believe that my driveshaft is out of spec based on runout measurements, but ford did not seem to want to verify my measurements. Instead they just balanced my driveshaft with excessive runout. Search for "205-01 Driveshaft 2016 ford"

Old 03-17-2017, 07:20 AM
The vibration returned again after 3 weeks. Took the truck back to the shop. Turns out one of the 5 lead weights that were epoxied onto the drive shaft and zip tied in place fell off. The dealer ordered a new drive shaft and installed it. The truck runs like new. Right now I could not be happier.

After 214 days (23 days in the shop), Ford finally fixed the problem. Overview of repairs to resolution:

1. Initial test drive - will make appointment (Aug 12,2016)
2. 3418 TEST DROVE WITH Service Manager - CHECKED AND BALANCED ALL TIRES - RETEST DROVE - STILL VIBRATION - CUSTOMER WILL RETURN
3. rebalance tires
4. rim swap test
5. 5218 VERIFIED CONCERN, BALANCED ALL FOUR TIRES AND CONCERN WAS STILL PRESENT, REMOVED AND SWAPPED TIRES WITH A STOCK UNIT TRUCK, CONCERN WAS STILL PRESENT. REMOVED AND LUBED DRIVE SHAFT SLIP YOLK, NO CHANGE, REMOVED AND SWAPPED DRIVESHAFT WITH STOCK UNIT NO CHANGE, CONTACTED HOTLINE, WAS INFORMED TO CHECK HUB AND ROTOR RUN OUT, CHECKED AND REPORTER TO FORD, THEY RECOMMENDED MACHINING FRONT ROTORS, MACHINED FRONT ROTORS AND TEST DROVE, CONCERN IS STILL PRESENT. CUSTOMER HAS TAKEN VEHICLE AT THIS TIME AND A ENGINEER IS COMING TO HELP DIAGNOSE VEHICLE. COMPLETE
6. axle balance
7. rear end work
8. stated that issue was normal
9. Balanced drive shaft
10. Determined a weight had been lost from the drive shaft
11. replaced drive shaft with new (3/13/2017)
12. Truck fixed!

Old 04-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Abnormal Noise at 45-mph and above

I should have read this forum prior to buying my 2016 F150 Super Crew 4x4 V8 lemon. I am having the same issue, and have taken the truck to different Ford Dealerships 4 times. They claim it is normal operating sound of vehile (sounds more like an El Camino from the 70's), and will not even attempt to repair it. I even went through the entire Lemon Law Arbitration through the Better Business Bureau, and the decision just arrived today that my claim has been denied. I am stuck with this F150 lemon until I use other legal resources available at my expense in hopes pf getting rid of this piece of junk. Can't wait to sell it and never deal with Ford again. Reading this forum makes me conclude that Ford knows for sure this is an existing defect but do not want to come forward. Ironically, I received a flyer in my mailbox by Ford for an extended warranty offer, which reads "Ford, Who can you trust?".

Quick Reply: Humming noise at speed