2015 - 2020 F-150

Humming noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should have read this forum prior to buying my 2016 F150 Super Crew 4x4 V8 lemon. I am having the same issue, and have taken the truck to different Ford Dealerships 4 times. They claim it is normal operating sound of vehile (sounds more like an El Camino from the 70's), and will not even attempt to repair it. I even went through the entire Lemon Law Arbitration through the Better Business Bureau, and the decision just arrived today that my claim has been denied. I am stuck with this F150 lemon until I use other legal resources available at my expense in hopes pf getting rid of this piece of junk. Can't wait to sell it and never deal with Ford again. Reading this forum makes me conclude that Ford knows for sure this is an existing defect but do not want to come forward. Ironically, I received a flyer in my mailbox by Ford for an extended warranty offer, which reads "Ford, Who can you trust?".

Old 07-13-2017, 09:54 PM
2017 F-150 2wd doing the same thing

My bone stock, 2wd 2017 F-150 regular cab lwb is doing the same thing...60-55 coast or maintain speed - vibration under truck.

3,000 miles - needs to be smooth.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not the driveshaft

I own a 2013 king ranch with a vey similar issue only mine starts right at 70 mph. Its a droning aound that almost sounds like an imbalanced clutch driven fan and gets louder as the speed increases. It is felt on my steering wheel and gas pedal but my passengers cannot pick up on it at all. I can hear it in the **** pit but maybe its just vibration resonation in my bones from the components im in contact with while driving. Its been to the dealer and had the driveshaft replaced with a new one because the tech diagnosed it as being the problem but its clear to me that he didnt detect what i was complaining about. I have 500 miles remaining in my warranty and am concerned ill be stuck with the problem. I should've bought new and not a used "someone else's problem". I definitely think its coming from the front axle and have ruled out the hub bearing, even with 35's on it. They are brand new and am mechanically familiar with vehicles enough to know what the problem is not. Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Heck, it'd be great if there was a ford tech on this forum willing to figure this out before my warranty expires.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-08-2017, 07:17 AM
I have a 2015 4x4 5.0 Lariat screw, 27,000 mi, with a "fluttering" around 1,000-1,500 rpm. It's a slight vibration that's felt through the pedals but not really heard. A passenger wouldn't notice it. Stops during acceleration and while braking.

Dealer adjusted exhaust last visit and it seemed ok for a few days or so but then came back slightly worse. The truck is at the dealer now and they are trying to duplicate the issue. We'll see what happens.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:44 PM
I purchased a 2017 in July and immediately noticed a vibration. My local dealer road force check the Hankook tires and found 3 failed. Those were replaced. Still had a vibration at 45-52 and 62-67. They have temporarily installed 18" tires and rims, didn't make a difference. Drive shaft was removed from another new truck and that didn't make a difference. This has been going on for 3 months now. As has been said previously FORD knows there's an issue but does nothing to fix it. I drove 2 other new trucks identical to mine on the lot and both had the same issues. I traded a 2014 F150 Lariat for this and am thinking it might have been a huge mistake. If someone can send me in the right direction on fixing this it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:16 PM
I pulled into a shop tonight and my 4.6 F150 2001 was humming at idle. I thought maybe it was the ac compressor bc it's done it before. Without popping the hood the mechanic said it's a vacuum leak probably the one going to the breather. Where is the vacuum hose for the breather? I always thought vacuum leak would be a hissing sound not a hum.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:41 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Why are you asking this in the 2015-2018 forum when you have a 2001? Not only that, the topic is humming at speed, not idle.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:43 PM
In case it was related. I may just not hear mine at speed it's not that hard to figure out why I asked. I searched humming.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:39 AM
glc
Best thing to do is start a new thread in the 97-03 or the V-8 forum.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by jlimon2121
I own a 2013 king ranch with a vey similar issue only mine starts right at 70 mph. Its a droning aound that almost sounds like an imbalanced clutch driven fan and gets louder as the speed increases. It is felt on my steering wheel and gas pedal but my passengers cannot pick up on it at all. I can hear it in the **** pit but maybe its just vibration resonation in my bones from the components im in contact with while driving. Its been to the dealer and had the driveshaft replaced with a new one because the tech diagnosed it as being the problem but its clear to me that he didnt detect what i was complaining about. I have 500 miles remaining in my warranty and am concerned ill be stuck with the problem. I should've bought new and not a used "someone else's problem". I definitely think its coming from the front axle and have ruled out the hub bearing, even with 35's on it. They are brand new and am mechanically familiar with vehicles enough to know what the problem is not. Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Heck, it'd be great if there was a ford tech on this forum willing to figure this out before my warranty expires.
i have this same exact issue on my 2014 King Ranch. I can’t seem to figure out the problem at all.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:02 PM
Rockfishon, I know this response is years later but I just purchased a 2018 f150 5.0

Originally Posted by rockfishon
The vibration returned again after 3 weeks. Took the truck back to the shop. Turns out one of the 5 lead weights that were epoxied onto the drive shaft and zip tied in place fell off. The dealer ordered a new drive shaft and installed it. The truck runs like new. Right now I could not be happier.

After 214 days (23 days in the shop), Ford finally fixed the problem. Overview of repairs to resolution:

1. Initial test drive - will make appointment (Aug 12,2016)
2. 3418 TEST DROVE WITH Service Manager - CHECKED AND BALANCED ALL TIRES - RETEST DROVE - STILL VIBRATION - CUSTOMER WILL RETURN
3. rebalance tires
4. rim swap test
5. 5218 VERIFIED CONCERN, BALANCED ALL FOUR TIRES AND CONCERN WAS STILL PRESENT, REMOVED AND SWAPPED TIRES WITH A STOCK UNIT TRUCK, CONCERN WAS STILL PRESENT. REMOVED AND LUBED DRIVE SHAFT SLIP YOLK, NO CHANGE, REMOVED AND SWAPPED DRIVESHAFT WITH STOCK UNIT NO CHANGE, CONTACTED HOTLINE, WAS INFORMED TO CHECK HUB AND ROTOR RUN OUT, CHECKED AND REPORTER TO FORD, THEY RECOMMENDED MACHINING FRONT ROTORS, MACHINED FRONT ROTORS AND TEST DROVE, CONCERN IS STILL PRESENT. CUSTOMER HAS TAKEN VEHICLE AT THIS TIME AND A ENGINEER IS COMING TO HELP DIAGNOSE VEHICLE. COMPLETE
6. axle balance
7. rear end work
8. stated that issue was normal
9. Balanced drive shaft
10. Determined a weight had been lost from the drive shaft
11. replaced drive shaft with new (3/13/2017)
12. Truck fixed!

what steps did you go through to get this fixed

Old 03-02-2021, 01:50 PM
glc
Step 11, replaced driveshaft...........

Quick Reply: Humming noise at speed