F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2009 - 2014 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150-105/)
-   -   Bull Bar Recommendations (with a twist), 2010 F150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150/520886-bull-bar-recommendations-twist-2010-f150.html)

chrisfromthelc 05-21-2019 03:03 PM

Bull Bar Recommendations (with a twist), 2010 F150

I've got the Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount on order. I'm running into trouble finding a bull bar that doesn't block the spot where the winch comes out, which you can see here. It seems that the bars that the popular sites list for the 2010 have a crossbar directly in front of that spot.

However, it does look like ones intended for the Ecoboost (2011) would be exactly what I'm looking for; they don't block that spot since it's where the intercooler would have been on the Ecoboost engine. Can I mount one of these to my 2010 non-Ecoboost? Or, are the mounting points different? On both types (regular 2010 and Ecoboost 2011), it appears that they both would mount to the factory tow hook spots.

2010 bull bar: https://www.americantrucks.com/black...ng-raptor.html
2011 bull bar: https://www.americantrucks.com/barri...lack-0414.html

As you can see, there is definitely overlap in the trucks that each would fit, which leads me to believe that a Ecoboost one would fit my 2010.

I'm hoping someone has already encountered this issue and knows the answer, or at least...just knows the answer! :D

joe51 05-21-2019 05:09 PM

I would suggest contacting Rough Country and asking them. Nice looking truck. I like the way that you mounted the LED light bars. The way that most people mount them looks like a real kludge.

How do you like the winch mount? I've been thinking of getting one.

chrisfromthelc 05-21-2019 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by joe51 (Post 5250575)
I would suggest contacting Rough Country and asking them. Nice looking truck. I like the way that you mounted the LED light bars. The way that most people mount them looks like a real kludge.

How do you like the winch mount? I've been thinking of getting one.

The winch mount is on order. That truck pic is just a stock image; not mine, but I do plan on doing something similar; it is a very clean look!

I did contact Rough County, and got a canned response that the bars for the 2010 block the area...they wouldn't really answer what I asked in regards to if the 2011 actually does fit it. I'm tempted just to order one anyhow to see if it'll work, but I know I can't be the first person to have this issue, given the question/answer sections on American Trucks (which also give the same canned answers).

joe51 05-22-2019 04:21 PM

To tell the truth, I've only seen one ofrtwo people on this forum that have used one of the Rough Country mounts over the last 6 or 7 years and I have been watching. Those people seemed to happy with them but I haven't of anyone mounting a bull bar with the RC winch mount. I think you're be a first. Let us know how it works. What winch are you planning on using? I have thought about putting a winch on my 2010 FX-4 but I have PTO winches on two much more capable off road vehicles so I don't really need to put one on the 2010 and every time that I start to do it I look at the total costs for GOOD setup and then put it off again.

chrisfromthelc 05-22-2019 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by joe51 (Post 5250617)
To tell the truth, I've only seen one ofrtwo people on this forum that have used one of the Rough Country mounts over the last 6 or 7 years and I have been watching. Those people seemed to happy with them but I haven't of anyone mounting a bull bar with the RC winch mount. I think you're be a first. Let us know how it works. What winch are you planning on using? I have thought about putting a winch on my 2010 FX-4 but I have PTO winches on two much more capable off road vehicles so I don't really need to put one on the 2010 and every time that I start to do it I look at the total costs for GOOD setup and then put it off again.

I spent some time under the truck yesterday and with some up-close install pics from Ecoboost bull bars; I can't find any reason it won't work. The EB trucks have the same tow hook points as the non-EBs do, which is where all the bull bars bolt onto.

I would probably go with the 12k RC winches with synthetic if I end up following through with this.

That being said, once you get the mount and a decent bull bar, you're halfway to a full winch bumper. So, I'm not sure that I may not end up going that route, or even just scrapping the whole thing and leaving the truck stock and nice for long road trips. I may just end up buying a used Cherokee to build up as an overland/offroad rig. My F150 is 2x4, which is fine for quite a bit of stuff, but I think I've almost convinced myself on a used Cherokee 4x4 at this point; the parts are cheap and plentiful for it, and I won't be always wishing I had 4WD.

joe51 05-22-2019 08:38 PM

I wouldn't use one of these late-model Ford trucks for off road use; the bodies in them are too weak, the transmission cases, X-fer case and pumpkins are much too thin to withstand any kind of impact. Also there's too much electronics are very sensitive to any water intrusion. These vehicles are made to be very light weight for their size and are designed for high MPG and low emissions and not for rough usage. IMO you'd be much better off with older model vehicle that does rely on massive amounts of electronics. The old Jeep Cherokees from the 1980s and 1990s would be a good choice for off road.