F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2009 - 2014 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150-105/)
-   -   2010 f150 TPMS problem (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150/520478-2010-f150-tpms-problem.html)

cmarsh 03-13-2019 09:29 AM

2010 f150 TPMS problem

I have a 2010 XLT F150 crew cab 4.6L. The problem I am having is I am getting TPMS fault on the dash. The sensors in the tires have been replace and have been trained/reset, but the TPMS light keep coming on. I took my truck to a tire shop and they reprogram the sensors with their programmer and still the light come on. Also when the TPMS light comes on the AC compressor stop running. I can clear the TPMS light for a few minutes by pressing the mileage reset a bunch of times. then the AC compressor comes on when the TPMS light/message goes away. This make me feel that the TPMS module is going out and need to be replace. Why it interferes with the AC I don't know maybe it is sending a weird signal causing other modules to act up.
Would it be wise to replace the TPMS module and is it plug and play?
Where is the TPMS module located?

ManualF150 03-13-2019 12:40 PM

It might be a bad battery in one of the sensors... People forget they have batteries.

Also, it may work in a warm shop, but the battery might not have enough voltage when you are outside.

Just a suggestion.

bansheerider 03-22-2019 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by cmarsh (Post 5248153)
I have a 2010 XLT F150 crew cab 4.6L. The problem I am having is I am getting TPMS fault on the dash. The sensors in the tires have been replace and have been trained/reset, but the TPMS light keep coming on. I took my truck to a tire shop and they reprogram the sensors with their programmer and still the light come on. Also when the TPMS light comes on the AC compressor stop running. I can clear the TPMS light for a few minutes by pressing the mileage reset a bunch of times. then the AC compressor comes on when the TPMS light/message goes away. This make me feel that the TPMS module is going out and need to be replace. Why it interferes with the AC I don't know maybe it is sending a weird signal causing other modules to act up.
Would it be wise to replace the TPMS module and is it plug and play?
Where is the TPMS module located?

I am having the same issue minus the AC problem. I get the error only on long drives, though.

gDMJoe 03-23-2019 02:50 PM

bansheerider - I am having the same issue minus the AC problem. I get the error only on long drives, though.
If the TPMS sensors are original, more than likely they're near the end of their life (typically 8-10 years).

Another consideration ...

Some aftermarket devices can cause radio frequency interference that will block the TPMS sensor signal causing an intermittent concern. This can cause the TPMS lamp to illuminate. Some of the more common items are: cell phone chargers, GPS power supplies, or any other aftermarket electronic device. Unplugging the aftermarket devices can help determine if they are the cause of an intermittent concern.

joe51 03-24-2019 12:08 PM

FWIW I've only had to replace one of the original sensors in my 2010 FX-4 (built in late 2009). But it you're changed tires multiple time, then that might affect the life of the sensors. I'm still on my 2nd set of tires.

joe51 03-24-2019 12:26 PM

As far as I know, except for the five sensors in the wheels, the TPMS is entirely in the BCM electronics. The BCM handles a majority of the electronic systems in the truck so it would be major job to replace it. Several years ago, there was a post I think on this forum, that showed a BCM and they pointed out the area of the circuit that performed the TPMS. The poster in this old thread also had problems with his AC system and TPMS interacting, link I don't think that they are intended to interact but I believe that both circuits are located on the BCM and close enough together that a failure in one circuit may also affect the other.

But I would take Manual's advice and replace the truck battery first. Goofy batteries have been known to cause a lot of bizzarre problems.