2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 Ford F150 Crewcab- No crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Ford F150 Crewcab- No crank no start

Hello! My apologies for the long winded post in advance. I recently bought a 2010 Ford F-150 Crew cab from one of the municipalities near Niagara falls. It has 297000 Kilometers on it. It had some problems to begin with as was disclosed by them as part of the auction. They did tell me that once jumpstarted the vehicle would always run. It started with a jumpstart and I got the vehicle out of the parking lot and I was told that it is not retaining the charge for some reason and needed a jumpstart everytime it is switched off. I had requested for a towing service to my mechanic near my place (about 90 kilometers away from the vehicle pick up location) just in case as it had some brake problems and steering issues as well. Turned out that it wouldnt start again, even with a jumpstart this time by the municipality administrator and even he was surprised that it was the first time anything like this happened. The flatbed tow guy also tried to jumpstart the vehicle and it still wouldnt start. On the dashboard when I try to crank it just lights up like a flash and then everything vanishes after a split second. Since I had turned the vehicle off after setting the gear levers to park mode, it got locked and the tow guy had to open up the steering connections and managed to manually move it to neutral to lift the car up the flatbed.

My mechanic in Milton, ON saw that there is no power coming to the computer and he is unable to see anything. He thinks that the municipal admin guy when he tried to jumpstart the car for the second time may have interchanged the terminals and that may have likely fried the onboard computer. He asked if I had another set of keys, which I did and have handed it over to him. He has informed me that he will try with the new set of keys and see if the issue gets resolved on Monday. If not, he is suggesting towing the vehicle to the ford dealership to check if the engine computer needs to be replaced.

What are your thoughts? I would very much appreciate your viewpoint on how to go ahead. I need to get the vehicle moving and have about 10 days to change the sticker on my license plate from temporary after getting the safety inspection to permanent. But seems like I have hit a dead end.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
It may have had a dead battery to begin with. I attached a video that may give you some ideas.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
It may have had a dead battery to begin with. I attached a video that may give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEThPhO6MxY
Thanks, I did see this video yesterday. I will ask my mechanic to check this out first thing tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 2010 Ford F150 Crewcab- No crank no start