2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors

I have an '11 Lariat with the manual fold/extend Tow mirrors that I ordered her with. Back in 2014 I bought a set of the Powerscope mirrors for her. Did the research on what needed to be done for the install, got everything I needed, but never got around to putting them on. Over the past few months I decided to put a set of Pioneer speakers in the truck. Figured I'd put the mirrors on at the same time. I wasn't gonna do the marker light hook-up because of the added stress on my bad back, just plug-n-play for now. Then I got an idea. Since the marker light is gonna function like a puddle lamp, just put one in. Wasn't sure if they would fit though. So I grabbed a Powerscope mirror and put it on the work bench for some measurements. I had bought a set of recon LED puddle lamps. So I taped one to the bottom of the mirror to see what was what. Still wasn't sure because I didn't know the internal structure of the Powerscope (looked at ALOT of videos on line). And honestly, I was afraid of tearing one apart. Didn't want to break something (expensive mirrors). So I drilled a small exploratory hole in the area of where I would be putting the lamp (I Know....). Stuck a small red tube from a spray can in to check for depth......and still wasn't sure. So I bit the bullet, yanked on a mirror, and it popped off, whew! So then I got the mirror apart. After fiddling with the puddle lamp I discovered that there just wasn't quite enough room. It would of fit but wouldn't be flush on the outside. So I had to find a smaller puddle lamp. Got on line and found the perfect puddle lamp. VLED had a pair. They were shallow enough, and just stuck to the outer edge of the hole with 3M sticky tape. I ordered them ($60.00), and returned the Recons ($82.00). On the first mirror I had apart, I measured then drilled the hole with a Hole saw. I had an old tow mirror laying around that I had replaced on the truck not long after I got it. Got smacked in a mishap. So I cut the wire leads for the puddle lamp out of the wiring from the old tow mirror. I then had to cut the wires going to the marker light of the Powerscope and splice the leads in. Then I plugged the VLED in and attached it to the mirror, then buttoned the mirror back up. Now on to the other Powerscope. Since I knew exactly where to drill, I figured I wouldn't have to take that mirror apart. Just do the wiring thru the hole for the marker light. Only thing was I had to add female connectors to the end of the cut leads of the marker light. So that's what I did. But it was a little difficult. Now I have LED Puddle lamps in my Powerscope mirrors. I left enough wire on the marker lights so that in the future I can still wire them up if I want to. Sorry for the long post.............

Attached Thumbnails Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors-u_puddle_2.jpg   Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors-u_puddle_4.jpg   Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors-18april12_0007aw.jpg   Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors-18april12_0012aw.jpg   Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors-18april22_0003aw.jpg  

Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors-18april22_0008aw.jpg   Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors-18april22_0026aw.jpg  

Last edited by Scarlet; 04-23-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:17 AM
Saturday was nice and warm. A good day to work on the truck. So, I started with pulling off the drivers door panel. Got the Pioneer speaker put in, then I enlisted some help from my sister to pull the manual fold Tow mirror off, then put on the Powerscope mirror. As soon as I plugged it in the Puddle lamp came on! It works. Got the door panel put back on and installed the new Powerfold mirror switch. I decided to try the mirror and the glass moved, etc.. But didn't try the Powerfold yet. So then I moved over to the passenger side and got everything installed there. Front Speakers sound fine (except I still need to install the Tweeters in the pillers). Then I tried the mirrors. Everything worked but the Powerfold? Made sure I was working the switch correctly. Kept trying and listening when it dawned on me, there were no sounds coming from the mirrors. No clicking, whining, or any sound. So I got out to fold it by hand. It was Very Easy to move. Once I got past the initial Detent, it almost moved butter easy by hand. I grabbed it to extend it out, and it slid out and back in with some effort. but slid easily. Same thing on the passenger side. All other mirror functions work (haven't done the wiring for power extend, or for wiring the marker light).
It's an '11 Lariat. I did order the truck with the "Lariat Plus package", which would of given it the power-folding sideview mirrors. But I also ordered it with the Max Trailer tow package which then gave it the manual fold Tow mirrors. Aside from a defective mirror switch, I'm Guessing here, Maybe I need to take the truck to the dealer to get the computer to recognize that it now has Powerfold mirrors? Everything else works. Meaning all other mirror functions, as well as the memory seat functions, etc.. It also may be possible someone sold me a bum set of mirrors? Can't do much about that now thou. I got these from a Forum member back in Oct. 2013. Just now putting them on........

Attached Thumbnails Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors-18april30_0001aw.jpg   Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors-18april30_0023aw.jpg   Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors-18april30_0020aw.jpg  
Old 05-04-2018, 07:58 AM
I've been doing a little research on why my Powerscope mirrors will not Fold. The way I understand it, there is a Relay that controls the Fold function. The Relay (if it is there) should be located behind the rear seat in the area of the plug for the sliding rear window. My truck has the Lariat "Plus" package which would of given me the Power Fold mirrors. So the harness should be there. But because I also ordered the Max Tow package, I got the Tow mirrors instead. I'll bet if I lower the rear seat back for a look, the harness will be there, but no relay will be in place. So to get the power fold to function I will probably have to get the relay. But then my question is this. Wouldn't I still have to take the truck to the dealer, because the computer still needs to have the Fold function turned on?.......or I could get lucky? plug in a relay and it works.....

Old 05-07-2018, 09:33 AM
I have a strange question. Been searching for an answer but with no luck. Is it possible that there may be a version of the Powerscope mirrors that "Did Not" have a Power Fold feature? That doesn't seem logical to me. Over the weekend I decided to get behind the rear seat to see if there was a relay for the folding mirrors back there. Or at the very least the harness and plug for the relay. Once I got the seat back down I had to pull several plastic retainer pins from the grey cover to get it pulled away from the back of the cab. Once I got the cover pulled away I took a look for a harness or a plug for a relay. All that was there was the motor and cables for the sliding rear window, and the wires going to it. Then wires and a grey plug for the heated rear window. That's it. No other wires or harness. So now I'm stumped. The thing I keep going back to, is when I ordered the truck with the Max Tow package, it gave me the Tow mirrors instead of the Power fold mirrors that came with the Lariat Plus package. So maybe that cancelled the harness for the relay in the back? Somewhere I read that the power fold may be controlled thru a module under the seat for the power seat memory function? Which I do have. I may take a trip to the Dealer this week and see what they have to say..............

Attached Thumbnails Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors-18may06_0009aw.jpg   Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors-18may06_0008aw.jpg   Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors-18may06_0003aw.jpg  

Quick Reply: Puddle Lamp Install-Powerscope Tow Mirrors