2009 - 2014 F-150

2012 Needs Rear Main Seal and other leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Needs Rear Main Seal and other leaks

Recently purchased a 2012 FX4 with 123k from a used car dealer. Has the 5.0 engine. Truck looks really good, drives and handles like new. Two previous owners and no wrecks but no way to obtain a service history. Since purchase I have found a number of issues that were not obvious at the time of purchase. It has an oil leak that appears to be coming from the rear main seal and/or the oil pan gasket. Its also a little wet at the back of the transmission pan. After having the dealers repair shop confirm the leaks, I settled with the dealer for half the cost of estimated repairs and plan on doing the repairs myself ( there was no warranty, so it was just a good faith settlement from the dealer). So does anyone know where I can get detailed repair instructions for replacing the rear main seal, the oil pan gasket, and also dropping the trans pan and doing a filter and service on the transmission along with a new gasket?
Also, I'm starting to notice some strange tick and knock sounds that have me a little concerned. I'm afraid now that the crack shaft bearings might be going and that would explain the rear main leak. ( could also simply be that the oil change service done by the dealer had the engine overfilled with oil by over a quart ). Also thinking it could be the timing chain and cam sensor failures that were common on the 5.4 but also affects some 5.0s Or maybe the sounds are normal and I'm just paranoid now.
Oh, and one more thing. Since the trans was showing sign of possible leak I decided I better check the fluid level and turns out it only had about 2 quarts in the 7 quart system. It was shifting fine, but I don't know how long it was run like this.
I love the truck but I'm heart broke over the problems I have discovered. Just doesn't make sense. Truck is really nice. I'm just gonna have to suck it up and fix everything. Really not in a position to pay dealer prices to have this work done. Thanks, I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
You will probably have to remove the transmission to replace the rear main seal. Maybe trade it for a new truck with few options to keep the price down.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:08 PM
I have a 2009 FX4 with the 5.4 with 120k and have a ticking noise also but I recall in a recent thread someone indicating that was most likely the fuel injectors.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
You will probably have to remove the transmission to replace the rear main seal. Maybe trade it for a new truck with few options to keep the price down.
I figured that. Book time on it is only about 8 hours so it cant be that bad. Already been quoted $750 at a shop. That's cheaper than a new truck, but if I could afford a new truck payment I wouldn't have bought something with 123k miles. I have run three ford trucks over 200k with only minor repairs. I guess my luck ran out on this one.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't mean to come off as a smart *** but have you tried tightening up the pan bolts, my friends 2011 Mustang was marking its territory everywhere he parked and he was waiting until he did the clutch and the oil pan was loose (bolts were 1/4-1/2 turn) the whole time.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Siberexpress
I don't mean to come off as a smart *** but have you tried tightening up the pan bolts, my friends 2011 Mustang was marking its territory everywhere he parked and he was waiting until he did the clutch and the oil pan was loose (bolts were 1/4-1/2 turn) the whole time.
Good point. I will definitely check that. Easy to overlook the obvious sometimes. I did discover the trans was not as low on oil as I thought. It was a little trial and error trying to figure out the best way to dial in the correct fluid level and turns out it was only about 2.5 quarts low. Its a pain if you don't have a lift. Still not great news, but not as bad as I thought. Also, for anybody else trying to fill or top off their trans I recommend a suction gun which holds about a pint. That way you can easily adjust the final fluid level.