2009 - 2014 F-150

Looking at 2014 F150 Ecoboost 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at 2014 F150 Ecoboost 3.5

Just went and had a look at this truck. The engine compartment and undercarriage are super clean. Probably has been totally steam power washed. There are Dents in front bumper/nose and door dings port and starboard. The sticker inside the drivers door with the vehicle info is gone, allegedly from the power washing. The interior is intact but has a sickening odor of cigar smoke that I am still smelling in my nostrils. It sounds fine but I did not take it for a ride as we were pressed for time today. The oil on the dipstick was very dark. Under the oil fill cap was spotlessly clean. An auto check report provided by the used car dealer reveals a clean history of a Lease/Fleet/Rental vehicle.

Going back in a day or two to drive it. All advice appreciated.

Price: 27,995
Miles: 46085

Old 10-16-2017, 07:29 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Take a pass. It hasn't been treated well.

I see this isn't the first used F150 you have looked at. Instead of buying something that's not been well cared for, go buy a new leftover, your payments won't be that much more if you get a longer term loan.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Take a pass. It hasn't been treated well.

I see this isn't the first used F150 you have looked at. Instead of buying something that's not been well cared for, go buy a new leftover, your payments won't be that much more if you get a longer term loan.
I'm with glc - take a pass. The smell alone would send me packing at a minimum.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mileage
Specs
Price?

The cigar smoke can be dealt with. The oil on an one of these trucks turns dark quickly, that's just how they are. If you can use the smell to make a solid deal it might be worth it if everything else is good about it.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:49 AM

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/m-Albe...185581147\\46k miles.

Dealer came down to 25,995. I drove it yesterday. other than the cigar odor and some cosmetic dents etc, I don't see/ hear anything unusual. Had it up to 100 with no pulling or noise/vibrations. On a hard brake from 70mph no pulling or drifting.

Originally Posted by Wookie
Mileage
Specs
Price?

The cigar smoke can be dealt with. The oil on an one of these trucks turns dark quickly, that's just how they are. If you can use the smell to make a solid deal it might be worth it if everything else is good about it.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you didn't listen to some of us () and went and looked into it further anyway. Hope it works out for you - wishing you good luck!

Old 10-24-2017, 01:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm, the extremely rare Platinum XLT model. Don't see many of those.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wookie
Hmm, the extremely rare Platinum XLT model. Don't see many of those.
Yes the platinum XLT, very rare, hahahaha.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by nu-supercrew
Just went and had a look at this truck. The engine compartment and undercarriage are super clean. Probably has been totally steam power washed. There are Dents in front bumper/nose and door dings port and starboard. The sticker inside the drivers door with the vehicle info is gone, allegedly from the power washing. The interior is intact but has a sickening odor of cigar smoke that I am still smelling in my nostrils. It sounds fine but I did not take it for a ride as we were pressed for time today. The oil on the dipstick was very dark. Under the oil fill cap was spotlessly clean. An auto check report provided by the used car dealer reveals a clean history of a Lease/Fleet/Rental vehicle.

Going back in a day or two to drive it. All advice appreciated.

Price: 27,995
Miles: 46085
I left out that my son is the one who is buying the vehicle. I am only guiding and giving advice. As much as I tried to convince him to not buy this and hold off for something better....he has not heeded my advice. I even pointed out Glc's wealth of knowledge and experience, to no avail.
Thanks to all for advice and discouragement. I will keep you all posted.... I get the feeling I will be working on another F150... I had a hell of a time keeping mine running. I hope this one is different!!!