2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hard starting after fueling

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard starting after fueling

I have a 2011 Supercab, 5.0 4x4. After filling up with gas the truck has a very hard time starting. It'll crank but not fire. I return the key to the Run position from Start and it keeps cranking until I turn it to Off. After a couple of tries it will start. This only happens after gassing it up. After it starts then it starts fine until the next refueling. Sometime the Check Engine light will come on after the failed start with OBD codes of P 2196 and P 2198, which is O 2 sensors showing rich. After clearing the codes they stay Off until after the next refueling hard start.

I have had the fuel pump/level unit replaced twice by the dealer because of an erratic fuel gauge readings/ droppings. This issue is still on going and will be returning to Ford Dealer for hopefully a fix. I think that this starting problem began after the first pump replacement. Could this be connected?

Old 09-08-2017, 01:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Are you possibly "topping off" the tank after the automatic shutoff kicks the nozzle off? This can lead to a saturated carbon vapor filter which will cause the engine to "see" a rich fuel mixture after filling. Once you drive it, the absorbed fuel in the filter is burned in the engine and things will be ok until you saturate it again.

Try not adding any fuel at all after the auto shutoff. It may take a couple tankfuls to clear this condition.

- Jack

Old 09-08-2017, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Are you possibly "topping off" the tank after the automatic shutoff kicks the nozzle off? This can lead to a saturated carbon vapor filter which will cause the engine to "see" a rich fuel mixture after filling. Once you drive it, the absorbed fuel in the filter is burned in the engine and things will be ok until you saturate it again.

Try not adding any fuel at all after the auto shutoff. It may take a couple tankfuls to clear this condition.

- Jack
I bet that this is it.

Also - it is by design that the starter keeps going after you release the key. All you do to start these trucks is bump the starter - it will keep trying to start for 20 seconds I think.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:44 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. I do usually "top off", but that will stop!

Old 09-09-2017, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by blkmesamtman
Thanks for the info. I do usually "top off", but that will stop!
Back in the days of using cash I could see the point of topping off - if for nothing else than to bring the amount to an even sum. Nowadays it doesn't matter if you are using a credit or debit card.

The place where I get gas - going on 20+ years now - still pump the gas for you. I had to talk with the manager (whom I know) a few years ago about telling his employees that they shouldn't be topping off any of the newer vehicles. I think at one point in time they were trained to top off the tanks - another $1 per gas they could squeeze in to each tank added up to more sales.

Now when it clicks off they hang up the nozzle.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:20 PM
evap purge valve

If you have a leak in the evap purge valve, you can also have this problem. The purge valve pulls vacuum in the tank when it shouldn't.

Originally Posted by stormtech
Back in the days of using cash I could see the point of topping off - if for nothing else than to bring the amount to an even sum. Nowadays it doesn't matter if you are using a credit or debit card.

The place where I get gas - going on 20+ years now - still pump the gas for you. I had to talk with the manager (whom I know) a few years ago about telling his employees that they shouldn't be topping off any of the newer vehicles. I think at one point in time they were trained to top off the tanks - another $1 per gas they could squeeze in to each tank added up to more sales.

Now when it clicks off they hang up the nozzle.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Hard starting after refueling

Hey tcp2, thanks for the info on the evap purge valve. I checked it and found that it was stuck open. Put in a replacement that hopefully will correct the problem. Thanks again!

Old 09-25-2017, 06:42 PM
Hard starting after refueling

Does anyone know if a stuck open evap canister purge valve will result in reduced fuel mileage even with out throwing codes? It seems that the fuel mileage has improved. Last tank was interstate driving at speeds up to about 80 MPH, 15.5 mpg This tank is town and highway driving up to about 65 MPH, 19 mpg. Maybe I show slow down a bit!!

Old 09-25-2017, 08:02 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I lose gas mileage over 65, all these trucks do.