Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone used the valve compressor tool? I need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone used the valve compressor tool? I need help

I need help with the 5.4L 3v.

I am told the keepers of the valves can fall out and the valve will fall into the cylinder.

If you have the tool on the valve, it presses the retainer and spring and pushes towards the head, compressing the spring allowing you to remove followers.

I THINK that if the tool is ON the valve retainer, that there is no way for the valve to fall into the cylinder, even if the keepers fall off. Is that correct?

The problem is when you release the tool without making sure the keepers are ON that it falls in?

I need some guidance on how to use the tool and not have the damn valve fall into the cylinder.

I have my truck at the dealer for repair, and It's one I can do in the future, so I want to understand.

Last edited by ag-ford-4x4; 07-19-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:48 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
What we used to do in the old days was bring the piston up to TDC with both valves closed, screw an adapter into the plug hole, and use air pressure to keep the valves closed.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another way to keep the valve shut is using a length of common cotton rope. First turn the engine over by hand to lower the piston in the cylinder. With the spark plug out, push a bunch of the rope into the cylinder, then slowly hand turn the engine to bring the piston up tight against the rope, then you can done the work with the springs and the valve is retained in the closed position. There is no way that the valve could be bumped and dropped into the cylinder which could happen using compressed air. This has worked for me!

Old 07-24-2017, 10:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Ive used compressed air method. Same tool as my compression tester equipment