Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intermittent Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Coolant leak

Hello everyone,
I have a 2012 ecoboost with 93xxx miles fx2. No warranty. No mods except the coolant house fix underneath the coolant tank.
few weeks back I noticed I was leaking (orange) coolant in my driveway after work. Checked the coolantlevel and noticed it was a little below the lower level. Topped it off and continued to check it next couple of days. Few days later the truck was leaking coolant again but not too bad.
yesterday I drove home and parked the truck in the driveway for no more than an hour and the leak looked to be worse and coolant level was very low in the tankbut not empty.
this morning I started to look into it, I don't see any leaks or wet spots near the turbos like the other threads I found, but I did notice that where the trans and motor meet up I have coolant dripping.
my question is what could possibly be leaking? I'm really hoping it's an easy fix, maybe a connection at a hose? I'm not sure, but seeing the coolant gather up at the trans and motor has me worried.
has anyone experienced this?

thank you

Old 06-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you see it leaking or spraying while the engine is running? It might not be coming from there, it could be a leak above that area where it's puddling up. I had very good luck with the UV dye when I was searching for coolant leaks on my brother's S10. The test kit is only a couple of bucks at a parts barn.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Time to pressure check the system but IMHO, I would bet intake manifold gasket has let go...likely in one of the rear corners.............

Old 06-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by beechkid
Time to pressure check the system but IMHO, I would bet intake manifold gasket has let go...likely in one of the rear corners.............
SMH where do you come up with this stuff?

Old 06-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dkelly506
Hello everyone,
I have a 2012 ecoboost with 93xxx miles fx2. No warranty. No mods except the coolant house fix underneath the coolant tank.
few weeks back I noticed I was leaking (orange) coolant in my driveway after work. Checked the coolantlevel and noticed it was a little below the lower level. Topped it off and continued to check it next couple of days. Few days later the truck was leaking coolant again but not too bad.
yesterday I drove home and parked the truck in the driveway for no more than an hour and the leak looked to be worse and coolant level was very low in the tankbut not empty.
this morning I started to look into it, I don't see any leaks or wet spots near the turbos like the other threads I found, but I did notice that where the trans and motor meet up I have coolant dripping.
my question is what could possibly be leaking? I'm really hoping it's an easy fix, maybe a connection at a hose? I'm not sure, but seeing the coolant gather up at the trans and motor has me worried.
has anyone experienced this?

thank you

Crawl under and check both turbos! There is a coolant fitting going into the side of the turbos and they love to leak from there.

Have you by chance changed the Tstat anytime recently? I did on mine and ended up the t stat gasket actually folded over and started dripping. It was going down the oil filter then dripping off about middle ways of the engine.

Sounds like you have already had the coolant bottle checked since you made the warranty statement.

Let us know what you find

edit. well crap i guess i skipped the line where you said you checked your turbos. I had a small leak there and it took a few times to pinpoint.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 06-08-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response everyone. I ended up getting a pressure test kit over the weeken. Hoping it was just a hose but it wasn't. The water pump seal had let go. Went to ford and got the pump and thermostat orings for about 100 bucks.
couple hours in the garage swapping the parts out and so far so good. I need to just keep an eye on it for a few days before I start towing.

thanks all!

Old 06-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Congrats on finding and fixing the problem!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:03 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
SMH where do you come up with this stuff?
Hmmm, well known trouble spot (in addition to the cooling lines at the turbo's...just got through replacing one on my wifes car...........about 3 weeks ago

Old 09-22-2019, 03:30 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
If that is what is leaking, you are going to need that part. And also to drain and fill the coolant system. A shop with the right tools can actually reuse your refrigerant if need be. But they have to have the means to evacuate it, and hold it until the part 9s replaced.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:42 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Jimbo, I think you replied to the wrong thread - this issue was solved 2 years ago.