2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering Wobble and High Pitch Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wobble and High Pitch Squeal

Hello to anyone that might have some thoughts on this issue. Apologies upfront if this is a little long winded as there are a few things that need to be address with this truck o' mine.

The symptom: After I reinstall the front wheels on the truck after I've worked on something, and drive for anywhere from 10 - 40 miles, suddenly the steering wheel starts to shake fairly violently. When I slow down or stop the truck and then start moving again, there is a very high pitch squeal that accompanies the now lessened vibration.

Background: I have had the wheels off of this truck several times to do some work. Most recently, I've replaced both front calipers as the pass side was worn out and warped my newly installed rotor and was producing a horrid burning smell. That all seems to have gone well. However, as I was driving tonight (drove for 30 miles) while at 60mph the steering started to vibrate a little and then grew more violent until I needed to pull over. Looked that the wheels- nothing wrong to my eye. So I continued the remaining 5 miles home, now with a smaller vibration but a high pitched squeal the whole way.

Additional background: This happened a few months ago when I took the tires off and replaced the IWE on the passenger side. Same as above. I happened to be taking the truck to my mechanic who removed the wheels, found nothing, and put them back on. From this point, the truck drove completely fine UNTIL, I took the tires off to replace the calipers.

This would lead me to believe that 1) when the shop puts the tires on, all is well and 2) when I put the tires on, I am such a hack that I can't do it right.

BUT - I'm following the "star" pattern, tightening each to 130lb (the first time) then 140lb (the second time) because I've read the threads and the debates on torque. So i will ask the shop for their opinion next week but I can't figure out what I am apparently missing from the process of putting a tire back on the truck or what is causing the squeal. Might it be the torque on the lug nuts?

Anyone got thoughts or experienced this before? Regardless, thanks for reading. I'm growing tired of this truck already. :/

Old 05-13-2017, 08:47 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I would ask the mechanic what exact procedure he uses. I don't think I'd torque to 130 initially, I'd start at a much lower number and work your way up.