2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 4.6 3v stalls while driving, wont restart for 5 to 10 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 4.6 3v stalls while driving, wont restart for 5 to 10 minutes

Looking for some help and sorry for the long post and posting on multiple forums but I need to get the problem resolved.

I have a 2010 F150 SCREW with 4.6l 3v 4wd. Up to 100,000 miles nothing more than tires, brakes, and evap purge valve (50,000 miles)
Check engine light came on right around 100,000 miles and had no driving problems other than some crappy fuel mileage. Did the following:

Changed evap purge valve, reset cpu by unplugging. CEL came back on after about 200 miles

Took the truck to a shop to get oil change, change plugs, diff fluids, transfer case fluid and get CEL looked at. Shop recommended changing intake gasket as you could see gummy type fluid on passenger side valve cover. When removing the intake found the intake cracked, changed gasket and intake. They reset the light. 200 to 250 miles later the CEL came back on.

Took it back to the same shop, left it with them for the weekend. they think it could be the O2 sensors. I went out and got the shop all 4 O2 sensors and they installed for free (seeing as I spent $2500 with them for all the previous weekends work) 200 to 250 miles CEL came back on

Determined to find time to have another shop look at the problem and trying to get it to a family friend, wasted about a month. At the end of February stopped at a friends house after being there for 20 minutes tried to start truck, it wouldn't fire. It would crank but no fire. Called for a tow and while waiting tried to crank the truck and it fired up, like nothing was wrong. Cancelled the tow truck and drove right to dealership. They determined it was the MAF sensor. Spent the $500 to have them diagnose and change MAF. All things good for about a month and about 3000 miles...

Now in the past 2 weeks it has done the following:
I am a construction manager so i am in and out of my truck all day so the engine is never really a cold start except for the mornings when driving to work
it stalled while leaving work on a Friday at low speed. luckily I was able to pull in to a gas station. Tried to restart and it cranked but no fire. after 5 minutes or so tried again, fired up drove home the 35 miles with no problem, truck had power, smooth idle. No CEL.
Same weekend on Sunday, coming home from church at highway speed truck got sluggish, wrench light came on, no response to throttle. Rolled to a stop and then the oil light came on and chime from dash. Turned the key all the way off waited 10 seconds, again crank but no start. Waited 5 minutes and it fired up no problem. Church is only 3 or 4 miles away, no problem going to church, 2 miles into the trip home is when it stalled.

Drove all week, 500 plus miles without a stall or problem

Coming home on Saturday from my kids soccer game again 4 or 5 miles away (no problem going to game) truck stalled at highway speed. Coast to a stop, wrench comes on and then oil light, chimes from dash. Turn key off, wrench and oil light do not come back on. Try to start, again crank but no fire. waited the 5 minutes or so and it fired up fine. (Earlier in the day i got gas, 87 octane, from a one of my regular gas stations from 1/4 tank to full)

Today coming home from church but running an errant the truck stalls after making a left turn about 3 miles from the church at low speed.

All of this without a CEL. Anybody got an idea of what can solve this problem. Clean a sensor? clean throttle body? Gas tank additives? I am due for an oil change and may ask the dealer to look at it but its going to be time consuming as I cant radially repeat the problem and there is no CEL.

As I am thinking about the different times it stalled, other than the first time I was probably around 1900 to 2300 rpm.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Please post the CEL codes.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
Please post the CEL codes.
Unfortunately its not showing any CEL codes. When the MAF was replaced it was showing P0171 and P0174 codes.

EDIT: The CEL is not currently lit, would it show/report a code if connected to a scanner now if running correctly?

Last edited by beidle99; 05-07-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:41 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Check the FPDM for corrosion.